By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 426 88.02%

No, it isn't. 36 7.44%

I like it when you are unoriginal, Rol! 20 4.13%

Total:482

Strange question given the Vgchartz homepage with the bargraphs being open for all to see lol

Success is defined by its performance in the global market. Core gamers complaining it didn't suit them has Zero bearing on this

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Araknie said:
oniyide said:
Wyrdness said:
oniyide said:
Araknie said:
If you don't see a why to the Wii success you are one of the many think that only exclusives that sells can enter in good games party.

It's the same as it was for the PS2, there's more under the "what they want to let you believe" part.

I am concerned about why, for the Wii, nobody wants to realize that.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but the PS2 was not the same as Wii, PS2 got 3rd party support coming out of its ass. ANd it moved quite a bit of hardware. PS2 versions of mulitplats almost always outsold the others. THe wii was the opposite which is strange for a lead console. Not saying that the Wii wasnt a success, but it wasnt dominating like PS2

Third party was alot different back then though almost all of the major third parties had some sort of exclusive title on the PS2, the was no DMC, FF etc... on any other console that's a big factor in its success, today how ever third parties have to be multiplatform as the cost of development forces it.

Well there you go... probably the main reason why Wii was never going to pull a PS2. Even if it got some of the games that the HDs got (Portal2, DMC4, RE5), the version would have been so chopped up that most people would opt for the HD/PC version anyway, just like they do now.

Portal 2, ok...but, DMC4 and RE5? Are these good games anyways?

I'm talking about good gameplay, i don't care about HD if those games are not gonna last more than 10 hours with copy/paste things from other games making them look all the same.

I mean that in the reference by Wii/PS2, they have both introduced new standards in gameplay genres.

I see your point and RE5 and DMC4 arent bad games they are just not the  best in the series but they sold  well, so people must like it.    Could they have made a DMC4 without all the graphics for Wii?? Maybe, but why spend the money on getting another deve team to do it when they would not buy that much anyway?? RE5, is more than just HD visuals.  Would the ally AI be able to work as well on inferiour tech?? Will the local MP be as smooth?? Would they be able to even get online in their considering how poor the Wii online is??  These are thing s to think about, when someone says a game would not work on Wii, they are not saying it just to troll, their are some things it just cant handle

oniyide said:

I see your point and RE5 and DMC4 arent bad games they are just not the  best in the series but they sold  well, so people must like it.    Could they have made a DMC4 without all the graphics for Wii?? Maybe, but why spend the money on getting another deve team to do it when they would not buy that much anyway?? RE5, is more than just HD visuals.  Would the ally AI be able to work as well on inferiour tech?? Will the local MP be as smooth?? Would they be able to even get online in their considering how poor the Wii online is??  These are thing s to think about, when someone says a game would not work on Wii, they are not saying it just to troll, their are some things it just cant handle

oniyide, as far as I can tell the Wii's online is horrible on a per-game basis. For example, Super Smash Brawl's online was abysmal :((((, but as far as I can tell COD: BO on Wii is working fine from what I can tell from my roomie's COD:BO playing.

Granted most people are not trolling, but to ask would the AI be as good? How important is the question? Is the gain that much more significant in light of other features of a game? Advanced AI and massive numbers of NPCs is obviously not as doable on the Wii, but whatever is saved in graphical detail and advanced AI can be infused in better storyline, story development, better characters, better controls and so on and so forth. As a blind man has more acute hearing, the same can be said for the gimped Wii. The less fundamental things (graphics) are reduced, while the more important can be focused on style, story, characters, controls. In line with you, AI and NPC count is more on the important side, but two of many ;)

With that said, the Wii was underused by 3rd parties, with reason for some as you say, without for others as I say.

You wanna know how much of a success the Wii is? Even the "Is the Wii a Success?" thread is more successful than the "Is the PS3 a Success" thread and the PS3 thread had a head start! I blame it on the casual audience.

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

oniyide, as far as I can tell the Wii's online is horrible on a per-game basis. For example, Super Smash Brawl's online was abysmal :((((, but as far as I can tell COD: BO on Wii is working fine from what I can tell from my roomie's COD:BO playing.

Granted most people are not trolling, but to ask would the AI be as good? How important is the question? Is the gain that much more significant in light of other features of a game? Advanced AI and massive numbers of NPCs is obviously not as doable on the Wii, but whatever is saved in graphical detail and advanced AI can be infused in better storyline, story development, better characters, better controls and so on and so forth. As a blind man has more acute hearing, the same can be said for the gimped Wii. The less fundamental things (graphics) are reduced, while the more important can be focused on style, story, characters, controls. In line with you, AI and NPC count is more on the important side, but two of many ;)

With that said, the Wii was underused by 3rd parties, with reason for some as you say, without for others as I say.

I see where you're coming from.  and i get it, I was talking more in relation to ports and multiplats. I used RE5 as an example, becasue that seem to be onw of the games that Wii owners complained the most about not haveing. It didnt help that Capcom said it couldnt even run the menu screen.  Ims sure Capcom was over doing it, but they did have a point.   You say better story line and development, but its not like the HDs didnt have those in thier games to begin with.  RE5 storyline is just similar to the ones prior, Hardware haas little to do with that. Controls, maybe. But thats what we have MOVE for I guess. I still say taht Capcom was right in not wasting resources porting a game made for HDs to Wii, knowing that the version would not have done as well. I do think its messed up not to even give Wii a RE game at all., Hell GC got one or two.  Shit, i see no reason why Revelations couldn not havebeen on Wii ages ago

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Among casual gamers, certainly. But a system deserted by developers and hardcore gamers can't possibly be called the leader of this industry...

I'm a hardcore gamer, and I didn't desert it. The terms are bad, we shouldn't use them. Call them HD users or non-Nintendo users... at least for now.

Also, the decision of certain gamers and the industry, though to a certain extent reactionnary to Nintendo's poor decision to fail at bringing us an HD platform, is a shared failure between Ninty for giving us no HD and the industry for snobbing Nintendo due to general snobbing and Nintendo's past attitude and failures. Next gen should be different. ;)

I admit the term is too strong, but HD users or non-Nintendo users don't make sense either...

And HD has nothing to do with that : Xenoblade is not in HD, but it's an excellent game (I bought a Wii just for it). Thing is : there are few games like Xenoblade on Wii. If developers and "players" abandonned Wii, it has to do with Nintendo targeting casual gamers and families first, and the crushing domination of their own IPs on their system. And there's no reason to believe the future may be any different : it is already happening on 3DS.

ryuzaki57 said:
happydolphin said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Among casual gamers, certainly. But a system deserted by developers and hardcore gamers can't possibly be called the leader of this industry...

I'm a hardcore gamer, and I didn't desert it. The terms are bad, we shouldn't use them. Call them HD users or non-Nintendo users... at least for now.

Also, the decision of certain gamers and the industry, though to a certain extent reactionnary to Nintendo's poor decision to fail at bringing us an HD platform, is a shared failure between Ninty for giving us no HD and the industry for snobbing Nintendo due to general snobbing and Nintendo's past attitude and failures. Next gen should be different. ;)

I admit the term is too strong, but HD users or non-Nintendo users don't make sense either...

And HD has nothing to do with that : Xenoblade is not in HD, but it's an excellent game (I bought a Wii just for it). Thing is : there are few games like Xenoblade on Wii. If developers and "players" abandonned Wii, it has to do with Nintendo targeting casual gamers and families first, and the crushing domination of their own IPs on their system. And there's no reason to believe the future may be any different : it is already happening on 3DS.

This is pretty much it right here, the way i see it, Wii owners had two choices, they could either sit and cry and moan about "evil 3rd parties" and twiddle thier thumbs and wait for Xenoblade quality games which were few and far in between OR they could set aside their irrational love and get a PS3 360 or PC so they were not missing out on some great 3rd party games.  I know I chose the latter and looking at the sales for multiplats most people di too

No it is not a success. This system was a complete failure in terms of expectations.

The assumption that this system would exceed the PS2 in sales was comical back in the day. I was one of only a few that predicted the downfall of the Nintendo We.

Sephiroth357 said:
No it is not a success. This system was a complete failure in terms of expectations.

The assumption that this system would exceed the PS2 in sales was comical back in the day. I was one of only a few that predicted the downfall of the Nintendo We.

You, among others, were wrong. The dwindling Wii sales at the moment have nothing to do with downfall, it is Nintendo's natural trend these past few consoles (ds, 3ds, Wii), and your prediction had nothing to do with that. :S you sound like Pachter! It happened hence I called it.

oniyide said:
ryuzaki57 said:
happydolphin said:
ryuzaki57 said:

This is pretty much it right here, the way i see it, Wii owners had two choices, they could either sit and cry and moan about "evil 3rd parties" and twiddle thier thumbs and wait for Xenoblade quality games which were few and far in between OR they could set aside their irrational love and get a PS3 360 or PC so they were not missing out on some great 3rd party games.  I know I chose the latter and looking at the sales for multiplats most people di too

This and the post before it have nothing to do with what I said. Plus, the shining 4 in japan for 3DS will tell you otherwise ryuzaki, but you don't speak on fact, so how would you know?