By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 426 88.02%

No, it isn't. 36 7.44%

I like it when you are unoriginal, Rol! 20 4.13%

Total:482
happydolphin said:
Sephiroth357 said:
No it is not a success. This system was a complete failure in terms of expectations.

The assumption that this system would exceed the PS2 in sales was comical back in the day. I was one of only a few that predicted the downfall of the Nintendo We.

You, among others, were wrong. The dwindling Wii sales at the moment have nothing to do with downfall, it is Nintendo's natural trend these past few consoles (ds, 3ds, Wii), and your prediction had nothing to do with that. :S you sound like Pachter! It happened hence I called it.

Yes I know my predictions had no impact on the downfall.  However, as far as my prediction went, I was correct.

People have different ways of determining sucess. I determine it by expectations and if you meet them.

Around the Network
Sephiroth357 said:
happydolphin said:
Sephiroth357 said:
No it is not a success. This system was a complete failure in terms of expectations.

The assumption that this system would exceed the PS2 in sales was comical back in the day. I was one of only a few that predicted the downfall of the Nintendo We.

You, among others, were wrong. The dwindling Wii sales at the moment have nothing to do with downfall, it is Nintendo's natural trend these past few consoles (ds, 3ds, Wii), and your prediction had nothing to do with that. :S you sound like Pachter! It happened hence I called it.

Yes I know my predictions had no impact on the downfall.  However, as far as my prediction went, I was correct.

People have different ways of determining sucess. I determine it by expectations and if you meet them.

No, there is no downfall, never was and never will be. What are you a zombie Nintendo hater, who was prior to shape-shifting pachter's twin brother? Nice fail at trying to redeem your doomed prediction! :)

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
ryuzaki57 said:
happydolphin said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Among casual gamers, certainly. But a system deserted by developers and hardcore gamers can't possibly be called the leader of this industry...

I'm a hardcore gamer, and I didn't desert it. The terms are bad, we shouldn't use them. Call them HD users or non-Nintendo users... at least for now.

Also, the decision of certain gamers and the industry, though to a certain extent reactionnary to Nintendo's poor decision to fail at bringing us an HD platform, is a shared failure between Ninty for giving us no HD and the industry for snobbing Nintendo due to general snobbing and Nintendo's past attitude and failures. Next gen should be different. ;)

I admit the term is too strong, but HD users or non-Nintendo users don't make sense either...

And HD has nothing to do with that : Xenoblade is not in HD, but it's an excellent game (I bought a Wii just for it). Thing is : there are few games like Xenoblade on Wii. If developers and "players" abandonned Wii, it has to do with Nintendo targeting casual gamers and families first, and the crushing domination of their own IPs on their system. And there's no reason to believe the future may be any different : it is already happening on 3DS.

This is pretty much it right here, the way i see it, Wii owners had two choices, they could either sit and cry and moan about "evil 3rd parties" and twiddle thier thumbs and wait for Xenoblade quality games which were few and far in between OR they could set aside their irrational love and get a PS3 360 or PC so they were not missing out on some great 3rd party games.  I know I chose the latter and looking at the sales for multiplats most people di too

This and the post before it have nothing to do with what I said. Plus, the shining 4 in japan for 3DS will tell you otherwise ryuzaki, but you don't speak on fact, so how would you know?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess your shining 4 refer to :

1/ Mario Kart 7

2/ Mario 3D Land

3/ Monster Hunter 3G

4/ Inazuma Eleven Go Shine

You already have 2 Mario games in your shining 4 so it perfectly illustrates what I was saying. As for Monster Hunter and Inazuma, they're both ultra-popular franchises in Japan so they would sell on any system. Furthermore, those two have no impact outside Japan so your shining 4 aren't an argument worldwide.

And if you look at Media Crate this week, you'll see that the new 3DS entries (Ace Combat and Spirit Camera) had weak sales because of your shining 4 monopolizing the market. 

Sephiroth357 said:

The Wii's sales aren't sagging because it's a bad system. The sales are dropping because there aren't any decent games coming out. It got ONE game worth a damn last year. Was it supposed to break sales records with that? The 360 and PS3 both have a steady flow of games coming, thus, they will sell. The PSP's died a long time ago, but does that make it a bad system? No.

ryuzaki57 said:

"and the crushing domination of their own IPs on their system. And there's no reason to believe the future may be any different : it is already happening on 3DS."

01./00. [PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.01.12} (¥6.280) - 81.896 / NEW 
02./01. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 52.266 / 1.369.623 (-67%)
03./03. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 44.644 / 1.128.498 (-55%)
04./02. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) - 40.154 / 1.239.440 (-66%)
05./04. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark (Level 5) {2011.12.15} (¥5.800) - 20.777 / 346.135 (-63%)

This does not illustrate your point at all rather it demolishes it. There is reason to believe things are different especially thanks to the 3DS. This is the first time we see this happen on a Nintendo platform in a very long time. Otherwise, why didn't tri sell as well on the Wii? Why didn't Inzuma sell as well on the Wii. I beg to differ with you. And if Japan is anything, it is an indicator. QED.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:
ryuzaki57 said:

"and the crushing domination of their own IPs on their system. And there's no reason to believe the future may be any different : it is already happening on 3DS."

01./00. [PSP] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin II - Revelation of Evil God (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.01.12} (¥6.280) - 81.896 / NEW 
02./01. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 52.266 / 1.369.623 (-67%)
03./03. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 44.644 / 1.128.498 (-55%)
04./02. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) - 40.154 / 1.239.440 (-66%)
05./04. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark (Level 5) {2011.12.15} (¥5.800) - 20.777 / 346.135 (-63%)

This does not illustrate your point at all rather it demolishes it. There is reason to believe things are different especially thanks to the 3DS. This is the first time we see this happen on a Nintendo platform in a very long time. Otherwise, why didn't tri sell as well on the Wii? Why didn't Inzuma sell as well on the Wii. I beg to differ with you. And if Japan is anything, it is an indicator. QED.

Way to selectively quote someone else. Sales of third party games with a good/big brand name do not count, because they would sell on any system. A game like Ace Combat should be used to gauge the success of third party games on the 3DS, because it didn't sell well.

How about playing along with the argument? Compile a list of the bestselling third party games of some other systems, but remove everything that is popular. The result is going to be that third party games don't sell on any system.

No Rol. I showed that MH wasn't that successful on the Wii, I considered that enough to demonstrate the negative logic and prove my point. Your point fails to counter mine. And it wasn't selective quoting, that was the only part of his post I nitpicked in the first place you should follow the thread rather than jumping the gun. :S

IamAwsome said:
Sephiroth357 said:

The Wii's sales aren't sagging because it's a bad system. The sales are dropping because there aren't any decent games coming out. It got ONE game worth a damn last year. Was it supposed to break sales records with that? The 360 and PS3 both have a steady flow of games coming, thus, they will sell. The PSP's died a long time ago, but does that make it a bad system? No.

I never said it was a bad system. I just stated that it didn't meet expected sales. 

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

Way to selectively quote someone else. Sales of third party games with a good/big brand name do not count, because they would sell on any system. A game like Ace Combat should be used to gauge the success of third party games on the 3DS, because it didn't sell well.

How about playing along with the argument? Compile a list of the bestselling third party games of some other systems, but remove everything that is popular. The result is going to be that third party games don't sell on any system.

No Rol. I showed that MH wasn't that successful on the Wii, I considered that enough to demonstrate the negative logic and prove my point. Your point fails to counter mine. And it wasn't selective quoting, that was the only part of his post I nitpicked in the first place you should follow the thread rather than jumping the gun. :S

Well, that went completely over your head.

I see what you're saying, but it doesn't counter my point. Should I elaborate more? For now, I underlined the point I disagree with, pivotal to the argument. The counter I provided was tri. What will you retort with?

With that he's pwned, I don't need to show the obvious, it would be a waste of time...

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

I see what you're saying, but it doesn't counter my point. Should I elaborate more? For now, I underlined the point I disagree with, pivotal to the argument. The counter I provided was tri. What will you retort with?

I'll say the same as in my previous post and some more. Hint: sarcasm.

:D you know you're smarter than me! You still have hope that I'll catch your sarcasm and fuzzy proofs by imitation/mockery? :P

I think from almost any perspective it has to be considered a success in general. The consumers are the one's who got the wrong end of the stick. Most every person I know laughs at the fact that the "fad" that the Wii was they got sucked into. These aren't the type to frequent this site or any other gaming site, they are the casual gamers who got the wii to get in on what everyone else was getting. Regardless, the Wii has or will have had a short life this generation due to it's general lack of power and features that were overlooked during it's meteoric rise, but can't be dismissed in today's marketplace. Nintendo short sold the Wii and got lucky to have caught on to be a huge fad. I am not saying that the core gamers can't find games to love on the Wii, I am just saying that once the gimmick wore itself out the casual gamers bought a smartphone or an iPad that filled that need for gaming. Either way, Nintendo made out big time and there is no denying that!