By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 426 88.02%

No, it isn't. 36 7.44%

I like it when you are unoriginal, Rol! 20 4.13%

Total:482
happydolphin said:
Train wreck said:

Nintendo's cash cow has always been and will always be its mobile division. The majority of its profits is earned from there, so throwing up a chart with "Wii launch" when there are multiple drivers of profit growth for Nintendo is disingenuous. That said I have always been critical of Nintendo and alot of their hot starts and the Wii had just that, a hot start. I personally felt people were buying Wii's for the wrong reason, more of a profit motivator (i.e. I could buy a system that has chronic shortages and resell it at a higher value) than for a actual video game system. Once the novelty of the rarity of the system wore off and it had to sell by the merits of its game, that when the break happen and Nintendo has never been able to recover. Sure their first party titles were selling gangbusters but that crowded out 3rd parties who never had the opportunity to achieve the level of success on the Wii platform. Nintendo had the #1 device in the living room and lost that battle of the living room and is finishing up this generation on a horrific note. That wont translate well for the WiiU.

Though I agree with most of this, there are lots of points that are ambiguous.

First of all, on a general look at Nintendo's vg history post NES, Nintendo has always had the issue of stealing the limelight from 3rd parties. It's not a novel issue. That's one thing cleared up.

In terms of profit/revenue, Nintendo has always had high returns off its software. The hardware that really helped Nintendo was its portable hardware, for that you're right. But in general its revenue came from software. Think of the profits made on a 40$ game where 30$ are cashed in by Nintendo, then it sells in the 10s, 20s of millions! Then multiply that by a number of blockbusters. Here they were for the Wii:

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&publisher=&console=Wii&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total

Here they are for the DS:

http://www.vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&publisher=&console=DS&genre=&minSales=0&results=50&sort=Total

If I see clearly, the Wii beat the DS on the software front this gen. So, in terms of the greater portion of profit (software), the home console actually beat the portable console this gen. So your point about "Nintendo's cash cow has always been and will always be its mobile division." didn't hold true this gen. As for previous gens yeah it did hold true. But the Wii's software performance is the reason for the boost in the graph our buddy brought up. Now you'll counter-argument with the software bundles, but that only accounts for a MAXIMUM 95million software units bundled over 418Million total sold (top 30). It still beats DS's 309Mil units of software. (Top 30s) Add to this that the console games have a higher markup and margin, and the point is really driven home.

As for Nintendo being a "burst" or "hot start" company, it wasn't always the case. The Game Boy lasted many many years, and the Game Boy color helped keep it alive. The NES was a 10-year console. Granted the strategy was, regrettably, different for the Wii. But it's not a Nintendo habit per se, if you know what I mean. To your advantage, I agree that Nintendo did a bad job at handling the lifeline of the Wii. The remodel sucked, and the new models for xbox and ps this gen really helped boost HW sales for both platforms. But then again, the attach ratio for HD consoles is lower YoY (not 100% sure), so can this really be considered total success on the HD side in all judgement?

Lastly, the Wii never lost the battle for the living room, since many people still watch Netflix on the Wii (guilty as charged), and some will still turn it on to play their games (guilty again). All in all I can't agree with the general sentiment of your post, but I do agree with sporadic points you make here and there.

I'm saying that the Wii lost the battle of the living room even thought they are the top selling system.  You are saying that the wii never lost the battle of the living room in that people use Netflix and play games still.  I'm saying that using Netflix to determine that is mute because I believe the company wont be around in two years and its experience is not unique.  Now you are saying Netflix is irrelevant?

Around the Network
Train wreck said:

I'm saying that the Wii lost the battle of the living room even thought they are the top selling system.  You are saying that the wii never lost the battle of the living room in that people use Netflix and play games still.  I'm saying that using Netflix to determine that is mute because I believe the company wont be around in two years and its experience is not unique.  Now you are saying Netflix is irrelevant?

Netflix was just one point, among others, as to why the Wii still has a place in living rooms. You made it to sound like it was my only reason.

Then I said it being unique had nothing to do with the point that people use Netflix still today. I said your prediction of it failing was possible, but even then it would be too late for it to have bearing on the OP.

As for the rest, I'd like to say let's let it go the thread needs order.

Sometime I wonder if people over the internet act different then they normally do or act stupid and pretend like they know what they are talking about but don't. The term hardcore doesn't exist in my book. It's either
Casual or Gamer.
Casual people who plays games for fun.
Gamer people who plays games everyday regardless Rating, Company, Franchise, and Style of Graphic, Gameplay, and Controls.

"Nintendo fan for life"

Success... of course, it made a lot of money.

Games wise... yes, until this year I have been happy with the games available. I have a wife and kid, and this gets the bulk of their time, were I single I would have opted for a PS3... nice machine. We have 30+ Wii games many of which had hundreds of hours of play time, many of which were exceptionally well done. This is why I will probably wait for the WiiU to go HD, there is still so much good play value left on the Wii. I am hoping for better mature content on the Wii, but then again most mature content on consoles is just blood and gore rather than anything that an actual mature gamer would recognize as mature content.

The industry as a whole needs to produce better mature content, rather than just violent, or showing simulated skin... gamers have been around a while and I'd love to see something that reflects the ageing gamer population better. I have played through other consoles offerings, and yes the HD consoles of this gen made some very nice games... but I have encountered few that were any better than what I have played on the Wii... plus motion control wise I hated the kinect experience, multi player was crap or dangerous and the controls were poor and unresponsive. The move worked well enough... but was just a clone of the wiimote.

Three cheers for Nintendo, heck of a good product.

RolStoppable said:
Cobretti2 said:
amp316 said:

Interesting.  It doesn't look like Nintendo is running in the red at all.

what is more interesting is that gamecube with 25million sales vs ps2 140million has made more profit.

So GCN more successful than ps2? fiinancially that is

No, it wasn't. There was also the GBA and of course, the PS2 had a much longer shelf life than the Gamecube, so it generated notably more profit in its lifetime than the GC. Furthermore, the PSP was sold at a hefty loss initially to buy Sony market share and take over the portable market. Sony barely made a profit in the PSP's first year on the market (2005). By the way, the graph shows the financial results up until December 31, 2010. So FY06 is showing the the PSP's early life, FY05 only includes the Japanese launch. The PS2 made a lot of profit (not as much as the Wii though), but Sony's financial results were dragged down a lot by the PSP and especially the PS3.

@amp316: That won't be the case anymore. FY12 was also in the black, but FY13 (which ends on March 31, 2012) is already guaranteed to go in the red, for the first time since Nintendo started making video games. The worrisome thing about the graph is that Sony and Microsoft kept improving (although Sony has been doing worse again lately with the strong yen) while Nintendo went down rapidly, because they gave up on the Wii. And looking at the graph it becomes even more obvious how idiotic that decision was. Of course, Nintendo suffers from the strong yen just like Sony, but going from $4 billion in profits to several hundred millions in the red within three years is a major collapse.

now it all makes sense with the handhelds factored into those columns.  If they were not that would be jsut insanse and make you wonder were sony were loosing on PS2.

Around the Network

Overall yes. In 2011 no.

Areym said:
oniyide said:
Areym said:
Define...success.

I would say so. It grabbed the motion controller gig and ran with it and capitalized on the huge market of the casual gamers, who we can assume that most of the younger casual gamers will grow to become core gamers. Wii U is suppose to be a more mature gaming console than the Wii so as their fanbase grows (in age), so will their games.

To stay on topic and keep it simple, it was a big success, no denying.

Gotta disagree, if anything most of the casual owners of Wii are your grandmas, soccer moms, generally people who are not into gaming that much. (look at JD games). The thing is those people have not and will not give a crap about these mature games. ANd im sure the children, already have a PS360 to play those Batmans, GTAs what have you. PUt is this way. I grew up playing a Genesis, but there were no motion controllers to "grab me" and I grew to be a "core" gamer. Why woud this gen be different?

Well, that certainly could be the case, especially with the older casual gamers (which I completely ignored for that very reason) but I'm sure Nintendo didn't set out to make a console which was that forgetable. I really meant those kids around the age of 8 ~ 11, who in my opinion should not be playing GTAs or Batman to begin with. Also not every parent has the money to drop on two consoles. Hell, my parents did not gift me and siblings a console this gen. I actually got my PS3 in 2009 with my own money when I got a job. They were not entitled to buy it for us but it was something we really really wanted. Still, I never complained cause they had bought us a PS2 which was still up an running so I personally believe it's more of a rare case that a parent will buy two consoles (one for core games and one for casual games) than young Wii gamers becoming core gamers. I mean the Wii is economic, durable and has a lot of value to it and chances are that all the games bought weren't all shovelware (with some exceptions within the casual gamer demographic.) Motion controls were a means to grab tha casual audience because at the end of the day, most casual gamers don't give a crap about the line up of an upcoming console. They don't do the reasearch, other than maybe parents looking out for violent video games.

Let me rephrase that statement; "we can assume that a good amount of the younger casual gamers will grow to become core gamers"

I dont think anyone sets out to make a console that is that forgetable (which is why Ninty went back to their non motion stuff IMHO). You say 8-11 year olds should not be playing GTAs and Batman and I agree, but lets be real here, they do play those games. One listen on a COD says they really do play those games. Parents will intially buy one console sure, but how long has the Wii been out?? Its 2012 and the HDs have only gotten cheaper, I think its in the realm of possibility that parents will buy their kid an PS3 or 360 now. ITs not like the WIi is fresh. Hell look at the past sales and see how they have been outselling Wii, despite them being more expensive. Who are buying those and why they no buy Wii?? THat in itself could be a problem for WIi U, for now they are just getting games that are already on cheaper consoles. WHy would a parent spent the extra money just to get little Timmy a game he can already get for a cheaper system?

90+ million units sold

100+ games on the million sellers list

Amazing 1st party games!!

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

oniyide said:
theARTIST0017 said:
I'm gonna go ahead and answer the question now and say, no. Now that I think about it, the Wii is not a success. It outsold the competition, so what? It did NOT live up to it''s FULL POTENTIAL. If it did, we may well see 120+ million units sold units, similar to the PS2. Wii catered mostly to the casual, but where are the hardcore games?

Well, too be fair. Is that really Ninty's fault? Its not like they JUST made Wiithis and that. They did also make games that were more traditional of what they usually did. Metriod Prime 3, the Marios, DKCR, S&P2 etc. Yeah im still baffled that with didnt see a proper followup to Mario Golf or Tennis, but hell. Look how long Metroid went without a console release. And you can blame them for maybe pushing the whole "casual" thing to the forefront, but it wasnt like they could push the hardcore thing. WIth what?? How could they mess with SOny or MS in that category?? Their online was and is still much worse than the other two and the hardware is much weaker than the other two and the "hardcore" library is weaker. With that competition I think NOT targeting the hardcore was smart. If you cant beat em, do something else.

Even if you were to blame 3rd parties, and even if 3rd parties put gimped versions of whatever game Wii fans call foul about. It would still not sell or be as good as the HD version, because people would know its the worst one.

First question, yes. They made the Wii didn't they? They made the traditional games yes and I'm glad but they do a horrible job attracting 3rd parties. As for the casual thing, yes. They did it, so they must reap what they sow. You ask how can they mess with Sony or M$ in that category? Really? Who's been in this business the longest? I think they would know a thing or two about gaming, they're not new to this. As for the online, I blame Nintendo. They need to learn how to take notes, and if they can't, they should have someone else take it for them. Saying not targeting the hardcore was smart but if someone stole something you used to have, wouldn't you want it back? I know I would. You also say if you can't beat em, do something else. I don't like that. That kind of system is actually to Nintendo's disadvantage because look what happened! The competetion copied them and stole some of that audience too! Do I make a good point there? 

As for your last sentence, I remember back on a little old purple box, a multiplatform game called Soul Calibur 2 sold better on that box than the PS2 and Xbox versions. Bring the games, and the gamers will come. The end.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Okay so then if the Wii is not a success, what makes it not a success? That's the real question.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .