By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - "I miss the old VGChartz from 200x" threads - A BIG announcement

ioi said:
@oldschoolfool - I think you'll find that's how most people who own a website (or any business for that matter) feels. You have to keep changing and evolving if you want to stay ahead of everyone and make progress otherwise you just stay where you are...

I know that I've become much more vocal over the past year or so. Not COMPLETELY in agreeance with the changes or the current state of the site...but with that being said. I do somewhat enjoy the current site. BUT I really miss the old VGChartz. I didn't have to be vocal back then.

It twas simpler times fo sho.

Around the Network
ioi said:

There is a lot of talk of forums stagnating, sales-discussion becoming less and less - both of these are accurate observations. I'd say reasons for this are threefold - clearly the industry is very slow right now anyway and with a couple of key site-related factors (focusing more on general gaming and reduction of available sales info) have contributed to the sales-related discussions taking a bit of a back seat and maybe a loss of identity for a lot of people. All I am going to say at the point is that all of this is going to change in the coming months so hold on tight. I've made a number of small steps in the last few years, testing out different ideas and future paths for the site - I have now settled on the right way to do things and there will be a lot of changes coming in.

Brett

So, Brett. I was just browsing the charts and got annoyed at having to click through dates, when I thought I'd come here and re-read what you said about changes. I've bolded some stuff here regarding sales... You posted this 5 Months ago and since then, the available sales data has IMO got no better. Actually, it's worse than before.

The good - We have seperate charts for US, UK, France and Germany.

The bad - We no longer have Yearly or Monthly charts. We no longer have seperate platform charts. We no longer have publisher totals. We no longer have lifetime SW totals for consoles. We no longer have the line graphs on game pages.

I'm sure there are more things that can be pointed out on both good and bad sides of the more recent changes...

I'm curious on how long it's going to take to get all the old useful tools back. Part of what brought me (And many other people) to this site was the sales data and the tools available with the sales data. 5 Month ago you said yourself it was a problem, then right before the Holiday season you changed it all up, removing even more tools/data. I hope this isn't the change you were talking about.

I understand that you're always busy, but I'd like to say this - To take away a bunch of sales related content on your site, when you clearly say that a decline in sales related stuff's a problem, right before the Holiday season was IMO a silly thing to do. You probably see this as a little bitchy rant, and in a way you'd be right... But this site is the first site I go to when I get on the Internet. I love your website. To see it dip in quality's quite annoying. I've defended it and criticised it before now but rarely said anything to you about it.

I look forward to the new update, whenever it arrives.

uuum whens the site split happening?(is it stil?) A nice Simple fast chartz would be welcomed. I miss ghetto facebook look.

Xxain said:
uuum whens the site split happening?(is it stil?) A nice Simple fast chartz would be welcomed. I miss ghetto facebook look.

It's looking like mid-late February, but we won't know until it's actually launched.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Xxain said:

It's looking like mid-late February, but we won't know until it's actually launched.

Please, the sooner the better.

Wanting to add data to the site (critic reviews) and not been able to do it is frustrating.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Now it is I, d21lewis that has the last post in this thread. It is I, d21lewis that people will see when they look at the "Hot Topics". WOOOoooooo!

When is the site splitting?

Bahahaha...hah!!

Machina said:
Mmmk, no more spam posts please guys ^^

O/T - Kantor's timetable is highly optimistic (read: it won't be Feb, so don't get your hopes up!).

Any idea on how long it could take?

Since this thread is here and the next VGC has been brought up, Im gonna recommend something.

A feature for quoting - When you quote someones post, you only quote THAT post, not the 14 other posts linked to it.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=139026&page=1

That thread is a prime example. It's stupid and it's a nut ache to scroll through.

Carl2291 said:
Since this thread is here and the next VGC has been brought up, Im gonna recommend something.

A feature for quoting - When you quote someones post, you only quote THAT post, not the 14 other posts linked to it.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=139026&page=1

That thread is a prime example. It's stupid and it's a nut ache to scroll through.

It's easy enough to just cut the other stuff out of a post.  A lot of people just don't take the time to do it. 

Personally, I'd just like the post to be a different color when somebody quotes me.  That's how it was in the good old days.  When I'm on my mobile device, I can't see the "Forum Buddy" so I never know when I'm quoted.