By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - "I miss the old VGChartz from 200x" threads - A BIG announcement

This is a recent post by ioi in another thread:

gamrConnect won't exist anymore as a separate entity. The forum community will split into two - VGChartz will retain a simpler forum and profile pages and will focus on sales related discussions with one big forum and a couple of very strict mods. Much like VGChartz was 2-3 years ago. The new site will have a much more extensive forum (with sub forums, game-specific forums etc) and will carry over the game collection / social networking / feeds / points stuff. The new site is a general gaming site and will be in direct competition with the big boys like IGN, GameFAQs and hopes to pull some of the current VGChartz audience over as well as a whole new audience who want to focus on the nitty-gritty of game details.

This implies that the new VGChartz site will only have a SINGLE board, dedicated to sales, while all other boards will be on the new site.  This has been corroborated by Kantor via Steam.  People will also have two accounts, one for each site.

I don't understand the intent here.

The initial idea expressed ioi in this thread was great:  there'd be two sites with two different communities.  You could talk about anything on either site, but each would have a different focus.  There'd be a general gaming site that focuses more on games, with boards per game and things like that, and there'd be an old school VGChartz site with an emphasis on sales that'd still have gaming and OT boards if its community wanted to discuss other things.

What was great about VGChartz is that it brought people together who liked to talk about and analyze sales figures, while also allowing these like-minded individuals to discuss other, non-sales related topics.  The problem with later revisions of the forum is that the boards became too numerous and redundant, complicating discussion and placing an emphasis on non-sales discussion.   The new site, however, seems to remove non-sales discussion entirely?

Under this new plan, we'd have the same number of boards we have now, only now you'd have to straddle two different websites depending on what you're in the mood to talk about.  I don't see how this fixes any problems.

Am I interpreting this wrong?  And if not, what is the rationale behind this?

Around the Network

I agree with makingmusic here. imo the success of VGC was that it gathered a fantastic community based on the sales numbers and discussions.

For the new VGC I would be very happy to have the old blue/white setup, with the frontpage being mainly sales and hot topics, combined with a simple forum - without badges etc. - that has Gaming, Website, Sales, Off Topic.

I totally applaud Brett for wanting to create a new IGN, and I hope he succeeds, but to have a niche website with a loyal and intelligent community like the old VGC should not stand in the way of reaching that goal. If anything it could probably strenghten the VGC brand name. I don't mind to have automatic access to both sites with my original VGC access though, but not limiting the scope of VGC to a single forum topic would be much appreciated.

You can still talk about sales in the new website. But you would have to talk about it in the general discussion. It would be like talking about vgc sales on ign.

Something like that. I am not much bothered by this though.

O-D-C said:
Can't wait to see how these changes play out and be a part of VGC's future.

One thing though that your, the readers, can always count on is good ol' uncle O-D-C and my non-nonsensical reviews. No, they can never take that away....

I used to be able to count on your bar. What happened to that?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Week USA Europe Japan Total Running Total
1 3,874,264 1,804,628 30,443 5,709,335 5,709,335
2 621,561 270,683 4,372 896,616 6,605,951
3 484,279 198,770 N/A 683,049 7,289,000
4 342,656 205,242 N/A 547,898 7,836,898
Ten Week Totals: 5,322,760 2,479,323 34,815 7,836,898
Lifetime Totals: 5,322,760 2,479,323 34,815 7,836,898
Global Total (Extrapolated): 8,558,790

as you can see the 'global total (extrapolated)' is different to the running total, and we therefore cannot see the worldwide running total week on week (or the weekly changes in the 'global total (extrapolated)', and i see this as a major flaw in the site and there should be a new column added beside running total called 'running total (extrapolated)' so we can see the worldwide running total and not just that of the 3 chosen countries/regions.

Around the Network

I don't see any discussion on this topic but are the sales graphs coming back ? Weekly and cumulative graphs were great, maybe they're pro-only now ?

watch out, youtube facebook myspace. Everyone hates change, is it the layout that converts people or the functionality is just to different? Who knows.

Etan

Hello,

I'm not complaining about the new layout (I find it easier to use tbh) or anything, but why can't we have access to yearly charts anymore? The year is nearly finished and there's simply no way to make our own analysis of what 2011 was in a whole! I usually publish an analysis of my own on my blog every six months, but this time I can't have this pleasure :/

Why is there no hardware charts?

spurgeonryan said:
man-bear-pig said:
Why is there no hardware charts?

How do you mean?

There is nowhere where you can view weekly hardware charts like you can with software and you cant look at an archive e.g. the software chart for the week ending 12th may 2007