By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are you ready for the fan backlash that will come from Zelda Wii?

Are you ready for the fan backlash that will come from Zelda Wii?

Yes. 82 69.49%

No. 36 30.51%

Total:118
SmokedHostage said:
Blacksaber said:
SmokedHostage said:
Khuutra said:
SmokedHostage said:
No.

I actually cried a little when I read shams' thread about Spirit Tracks.

Do you need help

I am here to help

I could use some couselling, and maybe an internet hug.

*Hugs*....*Leaves*

Yay!

I'm a pretty girl, I'm a pretty girl, I'm a pretty girl. :D

Futurama! Insane in the mainfram episode!

Or I hope it is. lol

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

Aonuma may not really know how, but there is a man who supervises every Zelda game in some capacity, who lays out gameplay concepts, who is very good at making bridge titles

I trust he'll have a positive impact, but he and Aonuma have some very opposing philosophies (according to an Iwata Ask's article, they often have heated arguments over Zelda design), and I think Aonuma will win out when he is producing.

This is all just speculation though, I could be completely wrong. We'll know more when we see more of the game.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

I can take any backlash except if the next Zelda is in first person or a futuristic world.

For me Phantom Hourglass was a huge disappointment but so far I liking Spirit Tracks better.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Khuutra said:
Demotruk said:

Because I'm tired of gaming being only a sub-culture, there is no fundamental reason people need to be separated into gamers and non-gamers any more than viewers and non-viewers. Something like Zelda Wii actually has massive potential to be that sort of bridge, and I think Iwata wants to position it as such.

Why I don't think it will happen? Because I have no faith in Aonuma to make a bridge title. Everything he says implies to me that he doesn't know how to do it.

Aonuma may not really know how, but there is a man who supervises every Zelda game in some capacity, who lays out gameplay concepts, who is very good at making bridge titles

The question, however, is: Has Miyamoto ever made a sucessful bridge title? And by that I mean, was it sucessful because it was a bridge title? And just what is a bridge title, anyway?

As for Aonuma, Four Swords Adventures was his game. A direct predecessor to NSMB Wii - the most sucessful "bridge" title to date. What hampered that game was the poorly implemented GBA functionality.

Would it have been a bridge title without it (and other?) issue(s), I wonder?

I'm expecting to be disappointed by the next Zelda, I think I've just played too many of the things. The core formula really hasn't changed over however many of the things I've played, and recent iterations seem to focus more on puzzling then combat, which is something I really don't like. My hope is that WM+ will encourage combat to be the focus again, but I'm skeptical.

My other big let-down of Zelda's nowadays is the difficulty. Twilight Princess held my hand through the whole game, I never really got stuck on a boss or anything :(. I won't be particually vocal about any backlash but I'm not really anticipating the game like I would normally a Zelda...

Around the Network
Helios said:

The question, however, is: Has Miyamoto ever made a sucessful bridge title? And by that I mean, was it sucessful because it was a bridge title? And just what is a bridge title, anyway?

As for Aonuma, Four Swords Adventures was his game. A direct predecessor to NSMB Wii - the most sucessful "bridge" title to date. What hampered that game was the poorly implemented GBA functionality.

A bridge title is a game that's accessible to a wide audience but brings a somewhat deeper experience than a game like Wii Sports. It's successful if it satisfies both the core and the expanded audience. It is a necessary part of the upstreaming process.

Mario Kart Wii is a perfect example, it was a massive hit with both veteran gamers, and the expanded audience.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

SmokedHostage said:
No.

Same here. 

SmokedHostage said:
Blacksaber said:
SmokedHostage said:
Khuutra said:
SmokedHostage said:
No.

Do you need help

I am here to help

I could use some couselling, and maybe an internet hug.

*Hugs*....*Leaves*

Yay!

I'm a pretty girl, I'm a pretty girl, I'm a pretty girl. :D

I forgot to mention it seems everyone I hug on this site gets banned in 24 hours...

Former something....

I hope I can =( Nah, I'll be fine lol

Eiji has a bad habbit of trying to innovate, and that "innovation" being used before.

Demotruk said:
Helios said:

A bridge title is a game that's accessible to a wide audience but brings a somewhat deeper experience than a game like Wii Sports. It's successful if it satisfies both the core and the expanded audience. It is a necessary part of the upstreaming process.

Mario Kart Wii is a perfect example, it was a massive hit with both veteran gamers, and the expanded audience.

I see. So, if we posit that cathering to the expanded audience is key to entering gaming into general society, what makes you think Zelda Wii won't fill that role?

By the way, I'm sorry if I come off as belligerent, I'm just curious as to what your reasoning is.