By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does the Zelda series exclusively focus on Ganondorf as an antagonist?

emilie autumn said:
sguy78 said:
NightDragon83 said:
I stopped caring about Ganon when he formally became known as Ganondorf in TOOT... Nintendo needs to stop endlessly recycling the rescue Zelda from Ganondorf plot line for the umpteenth time in the main series of games... lately it's been the side-story ones like Majora's Mask and The Minish Cap that have been a breath of fresh air.

I haven't played either Twilight Princess or Phantom Hourglass, but unless Nintendo plans on advancing the story a little bit in the main series, rather than remaking the original for the umpteenth time.

They aren't remakes.

evil wizard hunts the land, the princess is in trouble, hero appears to save the day. he is saying the story lacks originality and more over, the keep redoing the same story with diferent gimmicks every time.

Those are just thematic similarities. The story of each game - and Ganondorf's motivation - tend to vary wildly. It's surprising, in fact, how different he is in Twilight Princess as compared to Ocarina of Time.

Around the Network

I think Ganon runs circles around most antagonists, so I don't want anyone else to be the antagonist. And saying Nintendo focus exclusively on Ganon/Ganondorf is ridiculous - The Oracle-games had different antagonists(atleast seperately), Majora's Mask had a different antagonist, Link's Awakening had a different antagonist, Zelda II did feature Ganon, but he wasn't really around, Phantom Hourglass had a different antagonist, Minish Cap had a different antagonist.

In fact, I think there are more games where Ganondorf is not the antagonist.

Ganondorf is my favorite antagonist in a game, I don't mind at all if he's at all of the Zelda's, but also if someone new came, if they make him a interesting character, I wouldn't mind.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Why do the Zelda games be in a timeline?

Anyhow, a good, evil antagonist always serves well. So Miss Piggy is just fine.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Hero_Of_Time said:

Antagonists other than Ganondorf/Ganon exist in the Zelda universe.  Would you be disappointed if Ganondorf/Ganon is not the primary antagonist of Zelda Wii 2?

I think it would be a change of pace for a large console Zelda game to have multiple major antagonists.  Maybe have mulitple villains working together like in Four Swords Adventure with Ganondorf and Vaati.  What do other Zelda fans think?

Zelda Wii 2? You failed pretty hardcore right there.

Zelda Wii isn't even out yet. No, Twilight Princess doesn't count. That was a GameCube game.

I like your idea of multiple villains, that is a pretty sweet idea.

Around the Network

The reason I didn't enjoy Twilight Princess as much as I wanted was beacuse it didn't have enough Ganon/Ganondorf and Zelda in it.

Way too much of Midna and Zant.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
The reason I didn't enjoy Twilight Princess as much as I wanted was beacuse it didn't have enough Ganon/Ganondorf and Zelda in it.

She was not a villain.

Snesboy said:
Naum said:

She was not a villain.

Neither was Zelda. Try reading his post properly.

Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
SaviorX said:
I wouldn't mind a new villain, but I wouldn't be upset if Ganondorf was there. As long as the final battle isn't the same as past entries in the series, I would be OK.

I still say Dark Link from the Water Temple in OOT should reappear, but that may be too cliche. Whatever Nintendo chooses to do, please don't make it terrible like the Final Battle against Skull Kid in Majora's Mask.

Oh man that was the lamest. Totally killed the atmosphere of the whole game. I thought they'd be able to do someething cool with it - but nope.

What? Why? I thought it was a great fight that really showed what Major really was. Plus the Moon was awesome.

I agree, the final battle with Majora is one of my all time favorite gaming moments. If you are looking at the battle it'self then I can somwhat sympathize as is was rather easy, but in terms of style and atmosphere it was one of the best executed final boss encounters I've ever played.

nordlead said:
Anyone who doesn't want Zelda, Link, and Ganon need to go back, play some Zelda, and study the Triforce. If Nintendo ever tossed Bowser or Ganon because you people can't enjoy such great games, I will be really sad.

Agreed.

Ganondorf is a brilliant villain. He's an immortal demigod and an important part of what makes Zelda brilliant. I'd like to see him in Zelda Wii as the main villian through the entirety of the game. And if the Master Sword is a big focus of the game (which it looks at this point it will be) then I'd expect Ganondorf to have a strong presence in the game. I wouldn't mind other villains being in the game, but Ganondorf is the Big Bad.