By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does the Zelda series exclusively focus on Ganondorf as an antagonist?

sguy78 said:
As Jerry Seinfeld would say, Ganondorf is Lex Luthor to Link's Superman.

True, but Vaati is Doomsday to Link's Superman.

Around the Network
Millennium said:
It's a series about a legend: many versions of what is, fundamentally, one story. In that story, Ganondorf is the primary antagonist just as Link is the protagonist. Why is there any problem with this?

Except it isn't one story. For example the Hyrule in LoZ isn't the same Hyrule in OoT. There IS a timeline, no matter how screwed up it imay be. I agree with the second part.

plz lets not start the "theres no timeline" debate, because there is one

Millennium said:
It's a series about a legend: many versions of what is, fundamentally, one story. In that story, Ganondorf is the primary antagonist just as Link is the protagonist. Why is there any problem with this?

Because the series has many different Links and Zeldas, but the same Ganondorf.  I like Ganondorf as a villain and I think he should remain, but I like the occasional change in story.  Other villains have been created and mostly ignored.  Why not resurrect one of these villains or create a new one for just a short peroid.

Hero_Of_Time said:
Millennium said:

Because the series has many different Links and Zeldas, but the same Ganondorf.  I like Ganondorf as a villain and I think he should remain, but I like the occasional change in story.  Other villains have been created and mostly ignored.  Why not resurrect one of these villains or create a new one for just a short peroid.

This is incorrect. There is at least 2 Ganondorfs and possibly more.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Hero_Of_Time said:
Millennium said:

It is hard to tell due to the inconsistent story, but I think it is the same Ganondorf that cannot be permanently killed and is always resurrected due to the Triforce of Power.  It is up to gamers discretion to decide.

sc94597 said:
Hero_Of_Time said:
Millennium said:

there are actually 2 ganondorfs, adultimline one (the one at TP) kid timeline (the one at WW) what people actually fail to realize is that ganondorf never actually died in zelda games, but he was sealed away, that was until wind waker when child timeline ganondorf got killed, adn then in twilight princess adult timelin ganondorf got killed, so nintendo already write him out for storys further in the timeline.

Hero_Of_Time said:
sc94597 said:
Hero_Of_Time said:
Millennium said:

It is hard to tell due to the inconsistent story, but I think it is the same Ganondorf that cannot be permanently killed and is always resurrected due to the Triforce of Power.  It is up to gamers discretion to decide.

*Spoilers*

Once ganon loses the triforce of power he is dead. He lost it in Windwaker(which I believe takes place in the Adult Timeline.) That means he died in Windwaker. It is believed by many that TLOZ  takes place after windwaker. This is because  the hyrule in TLOZ isn't the same one in OoT and therefore it must have been post-flood when a new Hyrule was found, either by Link and Tetra(Zelda) or the Deku Tree's plan worked out where they created a new hyrule. That is at least 2 different Ganondorfs, and there probably are more. Also any game after Twilight Princess(which I believe there aren't any, though I didn't go through research into making a timeline myself) there will also be a new Ganon because he dies there too.

Why does Ganondorf want to destroy the world, and Link want to save it?

emilie autumn said:
sc94597 said:
Hero_Of_Time said:
Millennium said:

there are actually 2 ganondorfs, adultimline one (the one at TP) kid timeline (the one at WW) what people actually fail to realize is that ganondorf never actually died in zelda games, but he was sealed away, that was until wind waker when child timeline ganondorf got killed, adn then in twilight princess adult timelin ganondorf got killed, so nintendo already write him out for storys further in the timeline.

I edited later. He isn't written out though, because he is present in TLoZ which is believed to take place after Windwaker.