By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why does the Zelda series exclusively focus on Ganondorf as an antagonist?

sc94597 said:

Zelda II is a direct sequel to TLOZ. In Zelda II the cities are named after the sages in OoT. That means that both games take place after OoT. Also how would you explain the geographic changes of hyrule? There are many others facts that support this too. Such as Hylians being rare in TLoZ, and you see evidence of their numbers dwindling in Windwaker, while in OoT they outnumbered "magic-less humans". A Link to The Past is also a prequel to TLoZ and Zelda II. It mentions the events of the Imprisoning War(basically OoT's story) in it's backstory. So if A Link to The Past takes place after OoT, so does TLoZ and Zelda II.  So no they aren't before OoT.

The story is not perfect, but I prefer placing "The Legend of Zelda" first and its sequel "The Adventure of Link" second because it better explains how the original Link is selected and how the Triforce of Courage is formed.  How can the Triforce of Courage exist before it is created?  This discussion can go on for ever because the story is riddled with plot holes, but this thread is not a discussion about the Zelda back story and I prefer to stay on topic.  I do not mind making a thread for that if you want?

Around the Network

since people seem to be bitvhing about the timeline AGAIN im going to post this again:

accepted timeline:

----twilight princess----------wind waker--------phantom hourglass-----any oracle

the minish cap--ocarina of time

----majoras mask--legend of zelda--links adventure--a link to the past--links awakening--

----four swords---any oracle game

explanation:

the minish cap is the first, theres no legend of the great hero, theres no conncection between the 3 chosen by the triforce, anything, just the story of the master sword. ocarina of time follows theres still no reference to the legendary hero, but the master sword exists, this is were the bond between ganon, zelda and link is formed and the 3 will battle in repeating loops. here is were the time line gets interesting, first kid timeline

kid timeline: link goes to zelda, tells her of her plans and ganon is imprisoned, so zelda hands down the ocarina to link and he sets to find his lost friend. now majoras mask(the greatest game ever) here links adventures through termina and his final fate is unkwon, hough we see him venture through the lost woods at the end of the game, so it is plausible he returned to hyrule. then the original legend of zelda, the hero returns to face ganon and once again rescue princess zelda, this one is easiy placed here. links adventure, zelda is asleep as a new hero hasn't returned, link appears and fights his own evil encarnation. triforce of the gods(or the horrible translation "a link to the past") many references are made to a man of great evil who wanted the triforce and then was imprisoned in the golden land, zelda, link and ganon appear again as the 3 chosen by the triforce, the master sword is also present. links awakening is a direct sequel so no question there. the next 2 games are the tricky ones and are only placed here as tehy have no other place in the timeline

adult timeline: ganon fucked hyrule up, he was banished by zelda and then as we can see in twilight princess stabbed by the sages(eventhough he manages to kill 2 of em) and banish to the dark realm. hundreds of years later twilight princess happens, hyrule is rebuilt, probably by zelda and the people of kakariko village, link, zelda and ganon are once again those chosen by the triforce, many references are made to the hero of ocarina of time, specially the one who teaches you the special skills, ganon is defeated again. the time that passes is unkwon, but ganon returned and link didn't, so the goddeses knowing ganon would fuck the world up, flooded hyrule preventing ganon from destroying everything. then win waker, link is back, once again, he zelda and ganon are the ones chosen by the triforce, many references are made to the legendary hero, wether this is the hero of twilight princess or teh one of ocarina of time is unkwon and irrelevant as it still places this in the adult timeline. phantom hourglass is a direct sequel. the oracle is only placed here cause it doesn't fit anywhere else

Ganondorf is like Dracula in Castlevania, and Link is like the Belmont family there is no more to it, Ganondorf will always find a way to revive

Nintendo is the best videogames company ever!

Hero_Of_Time said:
sc94597 said:

Zelda II is a direct sequel to TLOZ. In Zelda II the cities are named after the sages in OoT. That means that both games take place after OoT. Also how would you explain the geographic changes of hyrule? There are many others facts that support this too. Such as Hylians being rare in TLoZ, and you see evidence of their numbers dwindling in Windwaker, while in OoT they outnumbered "magic-less humans". A Link to The Past is also a prequel to TLoZ and Zelda II. It mentions the events of the Imprisoning War(basically OoT's story) in it's backstory. So if A Link to The Past takes place after OoT, so does TLoZ and Zelda II.  So no they aren't before OoT.

The story is not perfect, but I prefer placing "The Legend of Zelda" first and its sequel "The Adventure of Link" second because it better explains how the original Link is selected and how the Triforce of Courage is formed.  How can the Triforce of Courage exist before it is created?  This discussion can go on for ever because the story is riddled with plot holes, but this thread is not a discussion about the Zelda back story and I prefer to stay on topic.  I do not mind making a thread for that if you want?

The Triforce of Courage doesn't need to be present in the game for it to exist. Same thing for the master sword.  The creators of the series already established that Zelda II is a sequel to LoZ, and ALTTP is a distant prequel of both. Then they stated that the backstory of Alttp is OoT. To say otherwise is not discounting story written proof, but the canon that is the developers word. I agree though, we should stop discussing Zelda timelines and get back on topic.

Rath said:

Is he in Links Awakening? Not as that weird shadow thing but as an actual antagonist?

I forgot about Link's Awakening.  I am not sure what the final boss is in that game, but it is not Ganon.

Around the Network
emilie autumn said:

since people seem to be bitvhing about the timeline AGAIN im going to post this again:

accepted timeline:

----twilight princess----------wind waker--------phantom hourglass-----any oracle

----majoras mask--legend of zelda--links adventure--a link to the past--links awakening--

Some things I have trouble with. First let me list the things that are without a doubt canon, and have support to back them up. The biggest problem I have is that ALttP is after TLoZ. It was promoted as a distant prequel to TLoZ, and therefore it should be place as such. Then there is the problem with Twilight Princess' ganon and Wind Waker's. They are both the same ganon. They are both the original OoT ganon. They also both die. That means that they can't be in the same timeline.

These are some things that aren't solid.  I would put any Zelda that doesn't have an OoT hyrule after WindWaker until there is proof that something else can cause such a big geographical change. OoT and Majora's mask is definately right due to it being child link in Majora's Mask.

If you are going to discuss the Zelda Timeline, you do not have to leave, but you cannot stay here.
Go here
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=80533

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=79797

sc94597 said:
emilie autumn said:

accepted timeline:

Some things I have trouble with. First let me list the things that are without a doubt canon, and have support to back them up. The biggest problem I have is that ALttP is after TLoZ. It was promoted as a distant prequel to TLoZ, and therefore it should be place as such. Then there is the problem with Twilight Princess' ganon and Wind Waker's. They are both the same ganon. They are both the original OoT ganon. They also both die. That means that they can't be in the same timeline.

These are some things that aren't solid.  I would put any Zelda that doesn't have an OoT hyrule after WindWaker until there is proof that something else can cause such a big geographical change. OoT and Majora's mask is definately right due to it being child link in Majora's Mask.

you are partially right about the twilight princess and wind waker thing, but first lets talk about a link to the past. the game was merchandized as a prequel to TLOZ in america because of the name change, aparently the conservative nintendo at the time didn't allow any of their games(in america) to have the word GOD in the title, so the awesome name "trifotce of the gods" was replaced by the crappy name we know today. the situation is exactly like castlevania 4 in america being a new story and being a prequel in japan, it is one of the sins of localization. about wind waker/twlight princess i admit i comited a mistake earlier by saying ganon totally died, at the beginning of WW it says the evil returned from some other world or something like that, which many of us suppose as to ganon revives in a way. so ganon revives, the world is flooded by the goddeses, years pass and then wind waker.

Majora's Mask on Ganondorf, anyone?

emilie autumn said:
sc94597 said:
emilie autumn said:

accepted timeline:

you are partially right about the twilight princess and wind waker thing, but first lets talk about a link to the past. the game was merchandized as a prequel to TLOZ in america because of the name change, aparently the conservative nintendo at the time didn't allow any of their games(in america) to have the word GOD in the title, so the awesome name "trifotce of the gods" was replaced by the crappy name we know today. the situation is exactly like castlevania 4 in america being a new story and being a prequel in japan, it is one of the sins of localization. about wind waker/twlight princess i admit i comited a mistake earlier by saying ganon totally died, at the beginning of WW it says the evil returned from some other world or something like that, which many of us suppose as to ganon revives in a way. so ganon revives, the world is flooded by the goddeses, years pass and then wind waker.

To respect Hero_Of_Time not wanting us to post anything more about the timeline, I'll stop posting about it. I do see your timeline as a recognizable possibility now though after you explained more. I still think TLOZ comes after ALTTP though. Actually I came up with more things that don't make sense with your timeline, but I don't want to continue the discussion for the previously mentioned reason.