By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1up - FFXIII Preview, No MP (use all the magic you want), No LVL UP, No XP

maybe it is like FFX. if i remember correctly you dont level up in final fantasy X right. you just win the steps to move in the circle stuff.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Kasz216 said:
Say why does no one else mention Final Fantasy 2?

That had stat advancement though no leveling. It had a morrowind type system.

The more you use something the better you get at it. The more times you almost die, the more your HP grow... etc. Your characters evolved.

Of course they countered that by making other things drop when you don't use them taking some of the fun out of it by having counterpoints so you couldn't make effective multi-classes.

I think the argument goes that while you don't "level" up, you still get the all-important stat growth, so it's like levelling!

On a more serious note, it pains me that some folks are reducing an entire genre to the presence or absence of a single feature. That's usually how true stagnation begins.

I could see something similar happening.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I think no levelling up and no XP is just an in demo thing and I will believe that until proven wrong

As for the control of other characters, according to OPM UK's article they are still working on it (I think) but it won't be XII's gambit system

Anyway, why is a lack of party control so bad, Star Ocean 3 certainly gave you little or no control over the rest of your party, nor did Kingdom Hearts. And I for one liked the gambit system

Kasz216 said:

The more you use something the better you get at it. The more times you almost die, the more your HP grow... etc. Your characters evolved.

Of course they countered that by making other things drop when you don't use them taking some of the fun out of it by having counterpoints so you couldn't make effective multi-classes.

Cause it was the most unbalanced shit ever.... I had to attack my own backrow to get their health stat up.. but lucky I could heal them so that I could also get the weapon stat pretty quick up so I had this overpowered party within no time...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

outlawauron said:

I could see something similar happening.

You're probably right, although I kind of hope they don't, just to see where they push RPGs next. I haven't played FF XII yet, but from what I've read about its combat system I'm very intrigued. Even if it didn't work out, I applaud Squeenix for trying something new. Maybe this will be their second bite at the apple?

NiKKoM said:
Kasz216 said:

Cause it was the most unbalanced shit ever.... I had to attack my own backrow to get their health stat up.. but lucky I could heal them so that I could also get the weapon stat pretty quick up so I had this overpowered party within no time...

They rebalanced a lot of that in the SaGa Frontier series (which are the real sequels to FF II). My personal complaint is that the system tends to make your characters too specialized (rather than overpowered), and that making them more balanced involves far too much grinding for my tastes.

Around the Network

" * There's no MP. That's right, use all the magic you want.
* There are no level-ups or XP.
* There are no random battles, with all enemies seen on-screen.
* Combat moves very quickly, and you can queue up to three actions at a time.
* Party members are completely AI controlled.
"

those are the demo one, they already said that you can control any other characters
they didnt have leveling up , cause what the point? its just a demo.

MP may be replaced with something else.
don't know about leveling though.

noname2200 said:
Kasz216 said:

I think the argument goes that while you don't "level" up, you still get the all-important stat growth, so it's like levelling!

On a more serious note, it pains me that some folks are reducing an entire genre to the presence or absence of a single feature. That's usually how true stagnation begins.

It's kinda hard to base it on anything else though.

I mean... otherwise an RPG isn't much different then an adventure game.

Well unless it's turn based. 

Heh, I remember when I used to claim only turn based RPGs were true RPGs... everything else was a glorfied Adventure game that usually played worse.

Really genres of games are pretty much irrelevent at this point.  It's like TV.  The Comedies have Drama, the Dramas have Comedies.   Nothing is just itself anymore so giving it a genre is more guesswork then anything else.

NiKKoM said:
Kasz216 said:

Hey it still existed!

If this means the return of the sphere grid....HELL YES!!!!

I love that system!

If not, I'll flip a big FU to Square-Enix but still buy the game (damn it).