By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan - First Day Sales (Wii Music debut)

No info regarding how well PSP3k did?

Around the Network

after seeing yesterdays Wii Music video

I have full faith in it rebounding in sales

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

thelalaby said:
No info regarding how well PSP3k did?

The charts are for softwares in its first day of sales, you should wait for atleast a week to know how the PSP3000 is doing.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Xen said:
50k? that's it? in all honesty, I expected far more.

lol, Xen...you know that's what everyone said when Wii Fit launched, right? It's an evergreen title. You might want to reconsider using that in a lot more Wii Music launch posts.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

@ mrstickball - You're totally right but.... Those sales just don't make a difference when you consider development costs for HD. At least not when you're only taking the Japanese market into account. DQ on Wii in Japan was WAY more profittable then MGS4 which on Japan sales only would have still lost money. A LOT of money.

For Japanese developers developing a traditional game for the Japanese market the only really viable (IE: safe) bet is to make a PS2 game and maybe port to Wii.

And that's just a pathetic state of affairs no matter how you slice it.

As for Wii, it's clear, people are not buying a Wii to play the 'same old, same old' so developers shouldn't even go there.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
noname2200 said:

Actually, I'd disagree with that statement. Gaming in Japan isn't dead, it's just transferred to the handhelds (especially the DS) and to non-traditional titles. For the Wii, six titles went platinum in Japan alone, including Mario Party 8, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Play. Six more titles went over 500k, including Mario & Sonic and Wario Ware. Four more are over 250k, and 31 games total are over 100k.

The thing is, Nintendo is dominating the list, because it's the one offering non-traditional titles. Namco and Konami are also benefitting primarily on the strength of such titles. Capcom's there too, but on the lower end, and just with traditional titles.

Long story short: gaming in Japan isn't dead, it's just evolved to the changing environment.

See, here's the problem: The X360, PS2 and PS3, despite their userbases, manage to sell core titles. Not as much as they used to, but despite the userbases, there have been some successes, again despite the user bases.

You have to realize something is wrong with your userbases' buying habits (the Wii's) when Metal Gear Solid 4 on PS3 can nearly outsell your top 2, 3rd party games on another system with well over twice the userbase.

Here's the damning list against the Wii of Top 3rd Party Console Games. All next-gen systems, with games above 100,000 units sold:

System Title Units Sold
PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 652,101
Wii Dragon Quest Swords 502,193
PS3 Dynasty Warriors 5 411,405
PS3 Winning Eleven 2008 321,462
PS3 Devil May Cry 4 311,530
PS3 Gundam Mousou 298,005
PS3 Yakuza 3 277,287
Wii Resident Evil: UC 276,993
Wii Deca Sports 246,045
Wii Dragonball Z 3 244,432
Wii Tales of Symphonia: DoTNW 237,059
PS3 Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit 171,399
X360 Tales of Vesperia 153,125
PS3 Ridge Racer 7 153,026
PS3 Valkyria Chronicles 150,324
PS3 Blade Storm 141,905
PS3 Gundam: Target In Sight 139,296
Wii Resident Evil 4 138,593
Wii Powerful Pro Baseball 138,252
Wii Family Trainer 137,380
Wii Family Ski 136,566
PS3 Soul Calibur IV 133,973
PS3 Call of Duty 4: MW 128,754
PS3 Pro Yakuu Spirits 111,546
Wii Gundam 0079 111,091
Wii Chocoboo's Mysterious Dungeon 110,220
PS3 Disgaea 3 108,977
Wii Winning Eleven Playmaker 108,803
Wii One Piece Unltd. Adv. 107,594
X360 Infinite Undiscovery 106,403
Wii Master of Festivals 104,960
Wii Shiren the Wanderer 3 103,772
X360 Dead or Alive 4 103,150

Wii Total Sales 2,703,953

PS3 Total Sales 3,510,990

X360 Total Sales 362,678

As it stands, The Playstation 3 is the best seller of 3rd party software over 100k (and most likely entirely). Period. Maybe that's me, but if console has almost 1/3rd the hardware units in the wild, yet are outselling your competition, there's a massive problem. I'm not going to comment further than this, because I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Thats sad if thats the lifetime sales if you've taken the cost of developing HD games on PS360. Unless you're a very rich 3rd party then you can waste money like what SEGA did on Golden Axe 27 million dollars if you've sum that up and the only userbase you got are from japan and then the sales are below 500,000 then you have big loses.

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

double post

E3 2010- Tape runs out

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Xen said:
50k? that's it? in all honesty, I expected far more.

lol, Xen...you know that's what everyone said when Wii Fit launched, right? It's an evergreen title. You might want to reconsider using that in a lot more Wii Music launch posts.

I know dude. All Wii "-" titles will sell till the end of the Wii. But still, it could've done more.

Gamerace said:

@ mrstickball - You're totally right but.... Those sales just don't make a difference when you consider development costs for HD. At least not when you're only taking the Japanese market into account. DQ on Wii in Japan was WAY more profittable then MGS4 which on Japan sales only would have still lost money. A LOT of money.

For Japanese developers developing a traditional game for the Japanese market the only really viable (IE: safe) bet is to make a PS2 game and maybe port to Wii.

And that's just a pathetic state of affairs no matter how you slice it.

As for Wii, it's clear, people are not buying a Wii to play the 'same old, same old' so developers shouldn't even go there.

Naah... the PS2 was on life support compared to the Wii, like I said again and again, it will be soon that 3rd parties will forced to develop games for the Wii because of the hardware sales it gots. SURE, the PS2 and the HD consoles are selling but for how long? Every month the gap between the Wii and DS and other consoles are getting wider and wider...

E3 2010- Tape runs out

@mrstickball: Do you expect games like MGS4, a game with one of the biggest budgets ever, to be topped by borderline shovelware titles like Dragon Quest Swords?

Have you given a good look at the list, and compared budgets? If a big franchise like MGS4 came out and flopped on the Wii, I could see your point, otherwise I'm not getting it. It isn't even close to a fair comparison. It looks more like proof that third parties aren't even trying, yet are still somehow managing nice sales.