By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan - First Day Sales (Wii Music debut)

Gamerace said:
trestres said:
@Gamerace: Nah, not all of them. Not even most of them. This is just strange IMO.
Was it advertised at all? At least we know the dev wasnt expecting too much from it. Or maybe retailers.

Quick check of L-T-D Japan Wii games sales reveal:

Out of traditional 3rd party games for Wii in Japan:

1 has sold more than 500,000 (Dragon Quest) and that was almost entirely week 1 sales.

2 have sold more than 250,00 (DQ above and RE:UC)

4 have sold more than 150,000

a total of 12 have managed greater than 100,000.  Only 12.

All other traditional type 3rd party games have failed to even reach a measly 100,000 and you have to wonder if they can even cover costs of a cheaply made game with such low sales.  

Games like Namco 'Family' series or Wii Sport-type mini games series are exceptions but we're taking what normally would have sold well on PS2 to the 'core' gamer.   Those games just generally don't sell on Wii.   Even RE:UC & DQ are not traditional PS2 -type games.  One's a rail shooter (a formerly dead genre) and the other a wiimote wagglefest. 

Even Nintendo struggles - Warioland, FF4 and Disaster all have weak sales and even the greats - Mario & Link have underwhelmed with sales of SMG and LoZ:TP in Japan.

Can't argue with this. Unfortunately, the situation is just as bad on the HD consoles.

1 Title (1st or 3rd party) has cracked 500k.

5 3rd party games are above 250k.

3 are above 150k.

15 are over 100k.

The 360....we don't talk about the 360.

So it isn't just Wii games that aren't selling in Japan, it's traditional games in general. If anything, I'd imagine the third parties that have seen success on the Wii are thrilled that the machine exists in the first place.

Edit: And I know this is tangential to the topic. I just felt compelled to point this out.

Around the Network

they only shiped 12k for sky crawlers?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

woopah said:
they only shiped 12k for sky crawlers?

Basically it is... seem even Namco thinks consoles are dead in Japan.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:
Gamerace said:
No surprise there. All 'normal' games seem to bomb on Wii. Japanese developers are best served continuing to make them for the PS2 and maybe due a Wii port.

Wii Music sells about what I expected. I expect it to drop off before it finds a nice steady weekly sales amount. WiiFit or MarioKart it isn't but it will be successful in it's own right.

What about Fragile? OH GOD NO... D:

That's what I fear...

trestres said:
WTF is wrong, how can a game like SkyCrawlers bomb that bad??

I honestly find no explanation for that.

Did you see how many units Namco shipped?

12K.

What were they thinking srsly ... >:(

^^^ This is what you get for blowing a rumor out of proportion

Chocobo brain damage!!! Here, drink this diet Coke..*runs*

Currently playing :

VC - Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen
Wii - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
DS - Glory of Heracels

Around the Network
trestres said:
WTF is wrong, how can a game like SkyCrawlers bomb that bad??

I honestly find no explanation for that.

What's even worse, Namco didn't even expect it to sell well. I mean, come on, 12k shipped?

That's in no way profitable, not to talk about the fact that it doesn't even recoup the development cost.

^^Maybe Namco is hoping to profit off SkyCrawlers in the western markets?

Gamerace said:
^^Maybe Namco is hoping to profit off SkyCrawlers in the western markets?

Meh... I don't expect it to turn big profits in the west - if at all.

MontanaHatchet said:
senortaco said:
you guys kill me with your over reaction to FIRST DAY SALES! First day sales...Really? It's like no one pays attention to how Wii games sale. =/

Wii Fit had an enormous first day in Japan, and so have several other Wii games (even if they've gone on to have long legs). 3k is not impressive for any game, regardless of platform, and Wii Music is looking to be the weak link in the series. Not that it will sell poorly (it will probably sell very well), but I'm not expecting it to be at the top of the Wii charts with its brothers.

True, Wii Music may not have staying power like the other 3 Wii titles, but one thing we ALL have seen is that Wii titles in general appear to be backloaded.

As for Sky Crawlers with the cautious shipment by Namco the title can only do 14k first week at the most.

...To me you get a better gauge on "non-nintendo" Wii titles is 3 weeks in. As Deblob's raising sales have shown, good titles will sale.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

must not have given this game much of a push then

isnt this game based off a movie? when does that movie release

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia