By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan - First Day Sales (Wii Music debut)

noname2200 said:
Gamerace said:
trestres said:
@Gamerace: Nah, not all of them. Not even most of them. This is just strange IMO.
Was it advertised at all? At least we know the dev wasnt expecting too much from it. Or maybe retailers.

Quick check of L-T-D Japan Wii games sales reveal:

Out of traditional 3rd party games for Wii in Japan:

1 has sold more than 500,000 (Dragon Quest) and that was almost entirely week 1 sales.

2 have sold more than 250,00 (DQ above and RE:UC)

4 have sold more than 150,000

a total of 12 have managed greater than 100,000.  Only 12.

All other traditional type 3rd party games have failed to even reach a measly 100,000 and you have to wonder if they can even cover costs of a cheaply made game with such low sales.  

Games like Namco 'Family' series or Wii Sport-type mini games series are exceptions but we're taking what normally would have sold well on PS2 to the 'core' gamer.   Those games just generally don't sell on Wii.   Even RE:UC & DQ are not traditional PS2 -type games.  One's a rail shooter (a formerly dead genre) and the other a wiimote wagglefest. 

Even Nintendo struggles - Warioland, FF4 and Disaster all have weak sales and even the greats - Mario & Link have underwhelmed with sales of SMG and LoZ:TP in Japan.

Can't argue with this. Unfortunately, the situation is just as bad on the HD consoles.

1 Title (1st or 3rd party) has cracked 500k.

5 3rd party games are above 250k.

3 are above 150k.

15 are over 100k.

The 360....we don't talk about the 360.

So it isn't just Wii games that aren't selling in Japan, it's traditional games in general. If anything, I'd imagine the third parties that have seen success on the Wii are thrilled that the machine exists in the first place.

Edit: And I know this is tangential to the topic. I just felt compelled to point this out.

Looking this over it probably explains why Namco shipped so few. Gaming in general appears to have taken a financal hit in Jap, but it hasn't been appeared YET in America.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Around the Network
chrono_kazumi said:
senortaco said:
you guys kill me with your over reaction to FIRST DAY SALES! First day sales...Really? It's like no one pays attention to how Wii games sale. =/

32/40 (aka 8/10), which is a good score.

Hope Sky Crawlers will have legs for the rest of the week... but if it sold already 25% of the shipment, then there's no way it could have great sales...!! @___@

And 54k day one for Wii Music is actually good, 'cause a game's sales like this one can't be jugded by what it sold in its first day/week/(or even) month, since they have huge legs, like Wii Fit, which was already released a year ago and it's still in Top 10, week after week. ;P

regards,

kazumi

I agree. But reading Gamerace post, and NoName2200, I understand somewhat the low shipment from Namco.

@Tretres - Yup it's based off a movie, but I have no club when it is out in Japan. =p

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

senortaco said:
noname2200 said:
Gamerace said:
trestres said:

Can't argue with this. Unfortunately, the situation is just as bad on the HD consoles.

1 Title (1st or 3rd party) has cracked 500k.

5 3rd party games are above 250k.

3 are above 150k.

15 games TOTAL are over 100k.

The 360....we don't talk about the 360.

So it isn't just Wii games that aren't selling in Japan, it's traditional games in general. If anything, I'd imagine the third parties that have seen success on the Wii are thrilled that the machine exists in the first place.

Edit: And I know this is tangential to the topic. I just felt compelled to point this out.

Looking this over it probably explains why Namco shipped so few. Gaming in general appears to have taken a financal hit in Jap, but it hasn't been appeared YET in America.

Actually, I'd disagree with that statement. Gaming in Japan isn't dead, it's just transferred to the handhelds (especially the DS) and to non-traditional titles. For the Wii, six titles went platinum in Japan alone, including Mario Party 8, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Play. Six more titles went over 500k, including Mario & Sonic and Wario Ware. Four more are over 250k, and 31 games total are over 100k.

The thing is, Nintendo is dominating the list, because it's the one offering non-traditional titles. Namco and Konami are also benefitting primarily on the strength of such titles. Capcom's there too, but on the lower end, and just with traditional titles.

Long story short: gaming in Japan isn't dead, it's just evolved to the changing environment.

Doesn't look like PSP3k did well.

We shall see in this week's number.

But I think DS one this year yet again.

Bet - "PES 2009 (PS3) will sell (closer to) 150k first week in Japan" - Pooperscopper
"It will sell closer to 125k" - Me I agree.
ME = OWNED :(

End of '09 Predictions:

Wii: 78 million
X360: 35 million
PS3: 27 million

Xen said:
Gamerace said:
^^Maybe Namco is hoping to profit off SkyCrawlers in the western markets?

Meh... I don't expect it to turn big profits in the west - if at all.

They just need their pr team to rebadge the game and should do well: something like "Attack on the USA: the Independence Wars".

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network
Bitmap Frogs said:
Xen said:
Gamerace said:
^^Maybe Namco is hoping to profit off SkyCrawlers in the western markets?

Meh... I don't expect it to turn big profits in the west - if at all.

They just need their pr team to rebadge the game and should do well: something like "Attack on the USA: the Independence Wars".

This is so... corny. Lol.

noname2200 said:

Actually, I'd disagree with that statement. Gaming in Japan isn't dead, it's just transferred to the handhelds (especially the DS) and to non-traditional titles. For the Wii, six titles went platinum in Japan alone, including Mario Party 8, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Play. Six more titles went over 500k, including Mario & Sonic and Wario Ware. Four more are over 250k, and 31 games total are over 100k.

The thing is, Nintendo is dominating the list, because it's the one offering non-traditional titles. Namco and Konami are also benefitting primarily on the strength of such titles. Capcom's there too, but on the lower end, and just with traditional titles.

Long story short: gaming in Japan isn't dead, it's just evolved to the changing environment.

LOL WUT? Konami? Squeenix and Konami they are all the same just like Ubi shoveling software on the Wii. Except for Elebits and Dewy's adventure I think theres no Konami titles that I could say quality or making the publisher profited. I think you should make example on SEGA instead with their Lets tap game and other titles on the Wii like Madworld, Mario and Sonic, SEGA superstar tennis and Sonic Dark Knight, but Konami? Naah... and yeah, Im posting here in the casual japanese perspective.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:
noname2200 said:

LOL WUT? Konami? Squeenix and Konami they are all the same just like Ubi shoveling software on the Wii. Except for Elebits and Dewy's adventure I think theres no Konami titles that I could say quality or making the publisher profited. I think you should make example on SEGA instead with their Lets tap game and other titles on the Wii like Madworld, Mario and Sonic, SEGA superstar tennis and Sonic Dark Knight, but Konami? Naah... and yeah, Im posting here in the casual japanese perspective.

I'm afraid I can't, Yushire. I'm not speaking of the quality of the games at all; I'm merely passing along the data for the sales in Japan, and Konami has actually had some good-selling games in Japan. Deca Sports, Power Pro Baseball, and PES 2008 have all done alright for themselves in Japan alone, most especially Deca Sports. Sega's making a killing off the Wii too, but more in the West than in Japan. Whether we like that or not sales are sales.

But while the last post was about sales, I'll reserve the rest of this one for your quality argument.

I actually hadn't thought about this before you posted, but I'm actually okay with Konami's Wii output so far. Pro Evolution Soccer is the first soccer game since Mega Man Soccer that I actually enjoyed playing (the fact that it's revolutionary doesn't hurt), and Power Pro was a fun game (even if it needs motion controls. Get on that Konami!) Elebits was flawed, but enjoyable, and the same can be said for Dewy's Adventure. The fact that the latter two are dirt cheap didn't hurt.

Mind you, there are plenty of other publishers who are ahead of them in my mind. Sega's definitely up there (never thought I'd say that after their post-Dreamcast days...), I've enjoyed most of Capcom's games, and Marvelous is looking just that. But you won't find me dumping on Konami anytime soon.

noname2200 said:
yushire said:
noname2200 said:

I'm afraid I can't, Yushire. I'm not speaking of the quality of the games at all; I'm merely passing along the data for the sales in Japan, and Konami has actually had some good-selling games in Japan. Deca Sports, Power Pro Baseball, and PES 2008 have all done alright for themselves in Japan alone, most especially Deca Sports. Sega's making a killing off the Wii too, but more in the West than in Japan. Whether we like that or not sales are sales.

But while the last post was about sales, I'll reserve the rest of this one for your quality argument.

I actually hadn't thought about this before you posted, but I'm actually okay with Konami's Wii output so far. Pro Evolution Soccer is the first soccer game since Mega Man Soccer that I actually enjoyed playing (the fact that it's revolutionary doesn't hurt), and Power Pro was a fun game (even if it needs motion controls. Get on that Konami!) Elebits was flawed, but enjoyable, and the same can be said for Dewy's Adventure. The fact that the latter two are dirt cheap didn't hurt.

Mind you, there are plenty of other publishers who are ahead of them in my mind. Sega's definitely up there (never thought I'd say that after their post-Dreamcast days...), I've enjoyed most of Capcom's games, and Marvelous is looking just that. But you won't find me dumping on Konami anytime soon.

But most of the profit gained by Konami came from Hudson anyway, since theyre sharing profits with each other. Deca Sports was huge example of it, thats why even Konami brings shovelware Konami still profiting on the Wii because of Hudson. But Power pro baseball and Pro Evolution soccer I give you that, but those 2 games alone isnt enough to have huge profits on the Wii thats why Namco, SEGA, and Marvelous still pumping games on the Wii its just that Hudson backing them up... And yeah, Elebits and Dewy bombed in Japan.

I think someday Hudson will be the next Konami and make games that they can published without outside help  but I think we will never seen it till 2010

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

noname2200 said:

See, here's the problem: The X360, PS2 and PS3, despite their userbases, manage to sell core titles. Not as much as they used to, but despite the userbases, there have been some successes, again despite the user bases.

You have to realize something is wrong with your userbases' buying habits (the Wii's) when Metal Gear Solid 4 on PS3 can nearly outsell your top 2, 3rd party games on another system with well over twice the userbase.

Here's the damning list against the Wii of Top 3rd Party Console Games. All next-gen systems, with games above 100,000 units sold:

<!-- BODY,DIV,TABLE,THEAD,TBODY,TFOOT,TR,TH,TD,P { font-family:"Arial"; font-size:x-small } -->

System Title Units Sold
PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 652,101
Wii Dragon Quest Swords 502,193
PS3 Dynasty Warriors 5 411,405
PS3 Winning Eleven 2008 321,462
PS3 Devil May Cry 4 311,530
PS3 Gundam Mousou 298,005
PS3 Yakuza 3 277,287
Wii Resident Evil: UC 276,993
Wii Deca Sports 246,045
Wii Dragonball Z 3 244,432
Wii Tales of Symphonia: DoTNW 237,059
PS3 Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit 171,399
X360 Tales of Vesperia 153,125
PS3 Ridge Racer 7 153,026
PS3 Valkyria Chronicles 150,324
PS3 Blade Storm 141,905
PS3 Gundam: Target In Sight 139,296
Wii Resident Evil 4 138,593
Wii Powerful Pro Baseball 138,252
Wii Family Trainer 137,380
Wii Family Ski 136,566
PS3 Soul Calibur IV 133,973
PS3 Call of Duty 4: MW 128,754
PS3 Pro Yakuu Spirits 111,546
Wii Gundam 0079 111,091
Wii Chocoboo's Mysterious Dungeon 110,220
PS3 Disgaea 3 108,977
Wii Winning Eleven Playmaker 108,803
Wii One Piece Unltd. Adv. 107,594
X360 Infinite Undiscovery 106,403
Wii Master of Festivals 104,960
Wii Shiren the Wanderer 3 103,772
X360 Dead or Alive 4 103,150

Wii Total Sales 2,703,953

PS3 Total Sales 3,510,990

X360 Total Sales 362,678

As it stands, The Playstation 3 is the best seller of 3rd party software over 100k (and most likely entirely). Period. Maybe that's me, but if console has almost 1/3rd the hardware units in the wild, yet are outselling your competition, there's a massive problem. I'm not going to comment further than this, because I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.