By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan - First Day Sales (Wii Music debut)

Mr. Stickball said:

See, here's the problem: The X360, PS2 and PS3, despite their userbases, manage to sell core titles. Not as much as they used to, but despite the userbases, there have been some successes, again despite the user bases.

You have to realize something is wrong with your userbases' buying habits (the Wii's) when Metal Gear Solid 4 on PS3 can nearly outsell your top 2, 3rd party games on another system with well over twice the userbase.

No. No you don't.

For starters, your implied contention that traditional titles don't sell on the Wii in Japan is flawed, since Brawl, Kart, Galaxy, and others have been doing quite well for themselves. They've all outsold the nearest core console title in Japan, first or third party (Metal Gear). If anything, that statistic can be flipped to say that core titles sell best on the Wii, since all but one of the core titles that have sold over 500k are on the Wii.

But moving to your main contention that "You have to realize something is wrong with your userbases' buying habits (the Wii's) when Metal Gear Solid 4 on PS3 can nearly outsell your top 2, 3rd party games on another system with well over twice the userbase."

Why would you expect third-party Wii games to compete with Metal Gear Solid 4 in terms of sales, when the latter obviously has much more time, energy, talent, and advertising thrown into it than any non-Nintendo Wii title? I invite you to name a third-party core Wii game that deserves to have that level of sales in Japan.

I can wait.

But you'll no doubt say that Metal Gear was just an example, and that considering the size of the base traditional Wii titles (from third parties; we're again neglecting Nintendo since that contradicts the argument) there should be more Wii titles in your table. So I extend my invitation further. Which third-party core Wii game do you think had half the care and attention as Devil May Cry, or Tales of Vesperia?

Mr. Stickball said:

As it stands, The Playstation 3 is the best seller of 3rd party software over 100k (and most likely entirely). Period. Maybe that's me, but if console has almost 1/3rd the hardware units in the wild, yet are outselling your competition, there's a massive problem. I'm not going to comment further than this, because I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Ah, but I'd like for you to comment further, because as demonstrated above, the numbers only tell part of the tale. At the risk of being a broken record: which side of the aisle do you reckon has seen more effort by third parties so far, the Wii or the PS3? I'll give you a starting point, if you wish: examine your list, and tell me which system has the mainline games, and which has the spinoffs. Then proceed to look at development budgets. Next, name me third party Wii games that should have sold better.

Around the Network

I think Wii Music will fall in line with my 81k first week prediction now.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

yushire said:
noname2200 said:
yushire said:
noname2200 said:

But most of the profit gained by Konami came from Hudson anyway, since theyre sharing profits with each other. Deca Sports was huge example of it, thats why even Konami brings shovelware Konami still profiting on the Wii because of Hudson. But Power pro baseball and Pro Evolution soccer I give you that, but those 2 games alone isnt enough to have huge profits on the Wii thats why Namco, SEGA, and Marvelous still pumping games on the Wii its just that Hudson backing them up... And yeah, Elebits and Dewy bombed in Japan.

I think someday Hudson will be the next Konami and make games that they can published without outside help  but I think we will never seen it till 2010

In terms of profits, you're probably right. Still, their sales are alright, considering how few games they've put out there, and like I said in the last post I'm not too fussed about Konami one way or the other. As for Hudson, I hope you're right, and that they've rediscovered their groove, but time will tell.

I wonder how much the current economic situation is and will depress game sales -- especially for new IPs and especially out of the box.

Wii Music should be fine because there is no rush to pick it up and it will slowly move multiple millions of units.

But I imagine a lot of games will get postponed/canceled if these sales trends continue.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

noname2200 said:
yushire said:
noname2200 said:
yushire said:
noname2200 said:

But most of the profit gained by Konami came from Hudson anyway, since theyre sharing profits with each other. Deca Sports was huge example of it, thats why even Konami brings shovelware Konami still profiting on the Wii because of Hudson. But Power pro baseball and Pro Evolution soccer I give you that, but those 2 games alone isnt enough to have huge profits on the Wii thats why Namco, SEGA, and Marvelous still pumping games on the Wii its just that Hudson backing them up... And yeah, Elebits and Dewy bombed in Japan.

I think someday Hudson will be the next Konami and make games that they can published without outside help  but I think we will never seen it till 2010

In terms of profits, you're probably right. Still, their sales are alright, considering how few games they've put out there, and like I said in the last post I'm not too fussed about Konami one way or the other. As for Hudson, I hope you're right, and that they've rediscovered their groove, but time will tell.

Well so far Marvelous actually hire a publisher XSEED to publish their game on the west without the need of help by Ubi, I think Hudson can do the same I HOPE I have high hopes for this one...

As for the sales, I think are we too worried at this? For one thing, we're comparing how good or bad the sales of the game were on a licensed anime game. Even how good or bad the game was its still a licensed game, its like we're comparing 3rd party games and how good the sales were by looking the sales of Spongebob, the Avatar, Iron Man or Wall-E games. I think Im too early to pass judgement on this one, its not even a main game its more like a videogame commercial of the upcoming anime movie.

After seeing the sales of Tales of Symphonia 2 again I feel I change the direction of my opinion... 

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

Mr. Stickball said:

See, here's the problem: The X360, PS2 and PS3, despite their userbases, manage to sell core titles. Not as much as they used to, but despite the userbases, there have been some successes, again despite the user bases.

You have to realize something is wrong with your userbases' buying habits (the Wii's) when Metal Gear Solid 4 on PS3 can nearly outsell your top 2, 3rd party games on another system with well over twice the userbase.

No. No you don't.

For starters, your implied contention that traditional titles don't sell on the Wii in Japan is flawed, since Brawl, Kart, Galaxy, and others have been doing quite well for themselves. They've all outsold the nearest core console title in Japan, first or third party (Metal Gear). If anything, that statistic can be flipped to say that core titles sell best on the Wii, since all but one of the core titles that have sold over 500k are on the Wii.

But moving to your main contention that "You have to realize something is wrong with your userbases' buying habits (the Wii's) when Metal Gear Solid 4 on PS3 can nearly outsell your top 2, 3rd party games on another system with well over twice the userbase."

Why would you expect third-party Wii games to compete with Metal Gear Solid 4 in terms of sales, when the latter obviously has much more time, energy, talent, and advertising thrown into it than any non-Nintendo Wii title? I invite you to name a third-party core Wii game that deserves to have that level of sales in Japan.

I can wait.

But you'll no doubt say that Metal Gear was just an example, and that considering the size of the base traditional Wii titles (from third parties; we're again neglecting Nintendo since that contradicts the argument) there should be more Wii titles in your table. So I extend my invitation further. Which third-party core Wii game do you think had half the care and attention as Devil May Cry, or Tales of Vesperia?

Mr. Stickball said:

As it stands, The Playstation 3 is the best seller of 3rd party software over 100k (and most likely entirely). Period. Maybe that's me, but if console has almost 1/3rd the hardware units in the wild, yet are outselling your competition, there's a massive problem. I'm not going to comment further than this, because I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Ah, but I'd like for you to comment further, because as demonstrated above, the numbers only tell part of the tale. At the risk of being a broken record: which side of the aisle do you reckon has seen more effort by third parties so far, the Wii or the PS3? I'll give you a starting point, if you wish: examine your list, and tell me which system has the mainline games, and which has the spinoffs. Then proceed to look at development budgets. Next, name me third party Wii games that should have sold better.

mrstickball has been pwned :P

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

umm, WiiMusic is not being hyped the way Wiifit was.

I mean seriously, WiiFit launch in December.... Right at the beginning of the holidays rush, WiiMusic is launched during the lowest time of the year for game sales in Japan. Also NOTHING about WiiMusic screams run out and buy me on day one. The game appears to be a better game than we thought. It will sell 1.5 to 2 million in Japan. lifetime. Not to the level of the others Wii series games, but still pretty fricken amazing.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

I think I even know why Namco shipped only 12,000 units of the game, because the movie itself isnt mainstreamed yet. Its like the company that made the movie offer Namco to make the game out of it than the other way around, for promotional purposes and as for promotional tool it works well. 12,000 people buying the game was a sure thing for most of the people to watch the movie I mean, its like 12,000 people watching the movie in a week.

I think we're overreacting at this one, I mean I think Namco didnt even waste lot of money on this game like SEGA did with Golden Axe 27 million its only a fracture of that...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Wii Music will sell the least of the Wii series games.

What about Wii Chess? :-p

WiiMusic is not being hyped the way Wiifit was.

There were more Wii Music ads on gametrailer than anything else? If all of them were shown in Japan then they had more marketing for this crappy title than for Wii Fit.

The problem is its hard to hype something that doesn't have any positive qualities whatsoever. Wii Fit may not be a great game but it had the fitness setting that almost guaranteed success and was perfect for getting more people to buy the game and console that were no traditional gamers.

Wii Music on the other hand is a desperate thing and makes me wonder if the Wii series jumped the shark. There simply are not that many settings that can be used effectively by simple motion controllers. (You pretty much find all of them in arcades and the Wii covered them already. Light-gun, swinging motions for sports like tennis and bowling, boxing ...