By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan - First Day Sales (Wii Music debut)

woopah said:
must not have given this game much of a push then

isnt this game based off a movie? when does that movie release

Sky Crawlers is a novel, that was made into a animated movies released in August. As such, I assume only fans of the novel/movie who also own a Wii bought this game, hence the extremely poor sales. Regardless, of the platform or the effort put into this games, the sales would still be low.

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

Around the Network
Zucas said:
Ugh people arguing userbases again and how they relate to sale. The point is they don't as really all they do is give feasible limits. They do not represent a certain percent of decrease or increase given a title's sales. Seriously just ignorant now to not understand that very simple concept. Ugh and from peole that denote themselves as knowing things about sales.

Anyways Wii Music opens to about what I'd expect. Given all the negative hype it would be surprising if it did really strong numbers in its first week. But that won't stop the mainstream unless the hype wass so negastive that it thrashed the brand as well which is doubtful considering Wii Fit is keeping the brand strong.

@ BOLD: I'm going to go ahead and agree with this. I don't have any "jayman" like approval process, but yet...

Also, I think Namco believes this is a niche game based on the shipments they provided.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Quite good Sales for Wii Music in my opinion, this is not a type of Game that people will rush to get on a 1st day, it will have great legs and it will be a commercial success not to extent of Wii Sports or Fit but it will be a success no doubt.

c0rd said:

@mrstickball: Do you expect games like MGS4, a game with one of the biggest budgets ever, to be topped by borderline shovelware titles like Dragon Quest Swords?

Have you given a good look at the list, and compared budgets? If a big franchise like MGS4 came out and flopped on the Wii, I could see your point, otherwise I'm not getting it. It isn't even close to a fair comparison. It looks more like proof that third parties aren't even trying, yet are still somehow managing nice sales.

DQ is much much bigger than MGS in Japan.  Obviously Swords didn't have nearly the effort that MGS4 received, but you can't act like Dragon Quest is nothing.  Best selling DQ was 4.12 million.  Best selling MGS was 870k.  Of course DQX would probably sell millions, but ignoring the fact that DQ is a massive franchise doesn't make sense.

Why the hell did they only ship 14k? I guess no one was interested in that license...

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
c0rd said:

@mrstickball: Do you expect games like MGS4, a game with one of the biggest budgets ever, to be topped by borderline shovelware titles like Dragon Quest Swords?

Have you given a good look at the list, and compared budgets? If a big franchise like MGS4 came out and flopped on the Wii, I could see your point, otherwise I'm not getting it. It isn't even close to a fair comparison. It looks more like proof that third parties aren't even trying, yet are still somehow managing nice sales.

DQ is much much bigger than MGS in Japan. Obviously Swords didn't have nearly the effort that MGS4 received, but you can't act like Dragon Quest is nothing. Best selling DQ was 4.12 million. Best selling MGS was 870k. Of course DQX would probably sell millions, but ignoring the fact that DQ is a massive franchise doesn't make sense.

I'm glad there are people to debunk the obvious Wii haters bias. Welcome guys!

As for this one, it's the same kind as the other WIi haters bias posts. The best DQ sure enough are not the spinoffs.

DQS is a DQ spinoff, with very poor work put into it. It sure enough doesn't compare with a main DQ title.

But grasping at straws is to be expected when you try to downplay the Wii.

Also guys, I'm not surprised by the initial shipment of Sky Crawlers.

It's a fricking anime movie licensed game. To add insult to injury, it's a Mamoru Oshii movie. Do you know who Mamoru Oshii is? I just love the guy and his movies (even the live ones like Avalon), but they are mostly niche (except Patlabor or GitS perhaps, and even these aren't exactly mainstream).

It's no wonder when you realise that. I never expected this game to sell a lot, and was even surprised they made it.

I expected lots of advertisement from the movie though, but it was released in AUGUST!

This game is way too late, and doesn't even ride on the movie's momentum. It doesn't make any sense to me actually. The novel/manga + anime + music + game is quite common now, but I don't know if it's the best execution of it I ever seen.

ookaze said:
Yakuzaice said:
c0rd said:

DQ is much much bigger than MGS in Japan. Obviously Swords didn't have nearly the effort that MGS4 received, but you can't act like Dragon Quest is nothing. Best selling DQ was 4.12 million. Best selling MGS was 870k. Of course DQX would probably sell millions, but ignoring the fact that DQ is a massive franchise doesn't make sense.

I'm glad there are people to debunk the obvious Wii haters bias. Welcome guys!

As for this one, it's the same kind as the other WIi haters bias posts. The best DQ sure enough are not the spinoffs.

DQS is a DQ spinoff, with very poor work put into it. It sure enough doesn't compare with a main DQ title.

But grasping at straws is to be expected when you try to downplay the Wii.

Congratulations at repeating exactly what I said.  I said DQX would sell millions did I not?  I said that not much effort was put into Swords did I not?  But I suppose you can dwell in the ignorance that clearly anyone who speaks ill of the almighty wii is merely a "hater".

My point was he was downplaying the signifgance of Dragon Quest while calling Metal Gear Solid a "big franchise".  Dragon Quest is in a completely different league in Japan.  It would be like comparing a Grand Theft Auto spinoff to Tekken in others.

[WII] Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces (Bandai Namco) - 3k

I am a huge Ace combat fan but I was quite dissapointed with the way Namco went Sky Crawles (based on the looks of the game).

I prefer modern Airplanes above the older ones...Only so far Crimson Skies is an exception

Diomedes1976 said:
Wow ,Sky Crawlers absolutely bombed ....

3rd party software.....

Why are 3rd party Wii games having such a hard time selling to a user base of over six million?