Ocarina of Time 11 28.21%

Breath of the Wild 11 28.21%

Tears of the Kingdom 3 7.69%

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 7.69%

Xenoblade Chronicles X 3 7.69%

Twilight Princess 3 7.69%

Total:39
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Even though I ranked TotK highest on my last top 50, I gotta go with Super Smash Bros. Brawl because I'm not sure anybody else would.

Easily one of their most ambitious games ever and it doesn't recieve enough acknowledgement for that. Subspace is probably still the highest bar for a cross-over, a real characters-actually-interacting-cross-over, in any game ever, one that I’m not sure will ever be topped. It also had some of the best music, the best new additions, the best modes and etc. etc. It certainly wasn't the best for competetive play, but in most other regards this game was incredible and in my eyes even ten years later with twice the roster size Ultimate struggles to beat it for me.

Agteed.

Also, Brawl has a ton of content for both single player and multiplayer without a single DLC.

Around the Network

Pikmin. Game is perfect. I wouldn't change anything.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Xenoblade Chronicles X

One of my favourite games of all time, period.

One of the best concept games of all time (IMO). You're in a city from Earth that has landed on an alien planet, and your goal is to help the city survive and thrive. At first, you join a guild that has a specific role (Example: surveyors of the planet, or a defender against hostile xenos, or a mediator that resolves problems in the city), then you start expanding your scope in the operation, becoming a major importer/exporter of materials from the planet, and creating new goods and services based on the new resources. The City (New LA) grows as the game continues (and this city is massive, on the scale of Novigrad from The Witcher 3) - opening up more stories. And since it's the team from Monolithsoft, all sorts of great Xenogears technology and themes make their appearance in this game. The world is massive, five continents, each one roughly the size of the entire world of Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) combined, each one more alien and magnificent than the last.

(I wanted to add something about New LA and Planet Mira: the city is massive! Think of one of those GTA-type games where you have the whole city, and then a massive alien world bigger than Breath of the Wild surrounding it!)

There are a lot of political themes as well, particularly economic. Who actually runs the city without the governments of Earth around? What about all the alien immigrants who are now moving into the city and opening up businesses of their own? And, also... war! Without spoiling too much, there is a central MacGuffin in the game, something called the "Lifehold" which government desperately needs, and everyone is looking for - also trying to find the Lifehold is an outside alien antagonist known as the Ganglion.

This game differs from the other Xenoblade games (and even more so from the Xenosaga games, which were strictly linear) and goes with an open world style that many were made familiar with in Breath of the Wild. Think of it as a whole lot of short stories (perhaps several hundred) that weave into the greater whole - although, unlike Breath of the Wild, there are chapter book ends that give the game some semblance of forward momentum that will remain the same for every player (whereas Breath of the Wild has an even more open world approach leaving only the beginning and the end). And, speaking of Breath of the Wild, this game acts as a bit of a blueprint for the things to come. It's a far more obscure game, but one of the most imaginatively inspiring games I've ever played.

A bit of a taste of Planet Mira:

(My runner up of games not yet nominated would be Super Mario Galaxy, hoping someone else picks that one! There are still a lot of great games missing)

Last edited by Jumpin - on 28 May 2024

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Well I guess I will nominate The Legend Of Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom since nobody else will.

Its just a technical masterpiece that doesnt seem like it could work on the Switch(or many other consoles for that matter). It looks great, plays great and most surprisingly has very little loading times for such a massive game. Love it.

This is more specific to best shooter but I'll nominate Splatoon 3.
Goldeneye will always hold a special place in my heart but even that was eclipsed by Perfect Dark.
The movement / stealth in the Splatoon series is just next level, the music is good and the variety of game play is fantastic. Single player is good, and the difference between Turf War vs Tower Control, Rain Maker, (and my two favorites ) Salmon Run and Clam Blitz makes for very different game play. All of it very intense.

Edit- Oh and I don't really play the card game at all but it seemed alright and is just a little more icing on the cake. The Splatoons are far from perfect when it comes to match making, I just feel that needs said.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:

TLOZ Ocarina of time

This is the correct answer. Ocarina of Time is a revolution in several areas, a game with several elements never seen before.

I dare say that the influence of OoT is still felt in the industry today. The foundations established not only can be seen in other Zeldas, but several other games, such as "SoulsBorne".

I consider it a bad joke to compare BoTW, a game that I personally think is over rated, with the absolute and indisputable revolution that was OoT, which was Nintendo's peak as a developer.

Anything from Nintendo pales when compared to OoT.

Mario 64 is my nomination. My reasons are it was the first game that played great using analog stick, it us blew us aways graphically, gameplay wise and control wise. It was really ahead of everything by a huge margin.

firebush03 said:

Super Mario 64. Arguably the most revolutionary title for the entire gaming industry.

- This game would play a very important role in the creation of the N64 controller...which doesn't mean much until you realize just how much this controller introduced to the standard controllers of the time. If you were to pull up an image of an SNES/Sega Saturn/PS1 controller and put it side-by-side to the N64, there are two features which immediately stick out: (i) Analogue stick, (ii) C-buttons. Though the latter might be slightly less revolutions, the former was a massive leap for the industry! For what reason?...

- This title laid the foundation for how game devs should *correctly* approach creating 3D gaming environments. Referencing my previous point, analogue controls are far better than "tank" controls (which devs at the time were unaware of). Additionally, there should be buttons which the player can press in order to control the camera ("R" button can be used for recalibrating the camera behind your character, whereas the C-buttons may provide the player with different perspectives). And looking beyond just the controller, there were many design choices such as providing the character with shadows (depth perception was not a challenge in 2D titles) which would be introduced with Mario 64.

- This title single-handedly gave birth to what is generally called the "Golden Age of 3D Platforms and Collect-a-thons". Examples of this can be seen with Banjo Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Conker, (later) Rachel & Clank, etc etc.

- Here's a list of *some* of the ways in which Mario's movement would be changed with this game: Introduction of the (i) ground pound, (ii) dive, (iii) triple jump, (iv) wall jump, (v) long jump, (vi) side jump, (viii) etc etc. No other 3D nor 2D title has ever re-constructed the movement of Mario in such a wide-reaching manner. And it would be with this title in which Mario would break free from linear progression for the first time, embracing a more “sandbox” sort of style.

…And I could certainly keep on going, though I think my argument should be understood by now. Though SM64 may not be my favorite game of all time (as much as I do love it, there certainly exist far better experiences), it was a monumental feat for its time.

No game will ever capture how i felt playing mario 64 for the first time. it really just had it all for its time, basically the perfect game while being revolutionary. OOT is up there but when you think about it, other then bringing the world to life in 3d the controls were not great, compared to something like mario 64 where they brought the world to life and mario still has probably the best controls of any platformer and most moves in his arsenal. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 28 May 2024

zeldaring said:
firebush03 said:

Super Mario 64. Arguably the most revolutionary title for the entire gaming industry.

- This game would play a very important role in the creation of the N64 controller...which doesn't mean much until you realize just how much this controller introduced to the standard controllers of the time. If you were to pull up an image of an SNES/Sega Saturn/PS1 controller and put it side-by-side to the N64, there are two features which immediately stick out: (i) Analogue stick, (ii) C-buttons. Though the latter might be slightly less revolutions, the former was a massive leap for the industry! For what reason?...

- This title laid the foundation for how game devs should *correctly* approach creating 3D gaming environments. Referencing my previous point, analogue controls are far better than "tank" controls (which devs at the time were unaware of). Additionally, there should be buttons which the player can press in order to control the camera ("R" button can be used for recalibrating the camera behind your character, whereas the C-buttons may provide the player with different perspectives). And looking beyond just the controller, there were many design choices such as providing the character with shadows (depth perception was not a challenge in 2D titles) which would be introduced with Mario 64.

- This title single-handedly gave birth to what is generally called the "Golden Age of 3D Platforms and Collect-a-thons". Examples of this can be seen with Banjo Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Conker, (later) Rachel & Clank, etc etc.

- Here's a list of *some* of the ways in which Mario's movement would be changed with this game: Introduction of the (i) ground pound, (ii) dive, (iii) triple jump, (iv) wall jump, (v) long jump, (vi) side jump, (viii) etc etc. No other 3D nor 2D title has ever re-constructed the movement of Mario in such a wide-reaching manner. And it would be with this title in which Mario would break free from linear progression for the first time, embracing a more “sandbox” sort of style.

…And I could certainly keep on going, though I think my argument should be understood by now. Though SM64 may not be my favorite game of all time (as much as I do love it, there certainly exist far better experiences), it was a monumental feat for its time.

No game will ever capture how i felt playing mario 64 for the first time. it really just had it all for its time, basically the perfect game while being revolutionary. OOT is up there but when you think about it, other then bringing the world to life in 3d the controls were not great, compared to something like mario 64 where they brought the world to life and mario still has probably the best controls of any platformer and most moves in his arsenal. 

It is a fair point.  I played a demo of Mario 64 at a kiosk and immediately I knew gaming was never going to be the same.  It just changed everything like no game before it.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Xenoblade Chronicles

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]