By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 141.32 Million Units as of March 2024

curl-6 said:

What's interesting about PS2's software sales versus Switch's is that while it's the highest selling system of all time, PS2 only has 6 games that sold over 10 million units, while Switch has 21.

Sony's first party IP hadn't really acquired megaton status back then aside from Gran Turismo.

The most interesting thing with ps2 software, is how GTA consolidate itself with San Andreas,  selling the most (without any sweat) in the system looking worse than a N64 game. That's pretty ironic!

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

I'd take Sony's first-party games in the PS1-PS2 era over PS4-5. A lot more variety and just better stuff.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

I'd take Sony's first-party games in the PS1-PS2 era over PS4-5. A lot more variety and just better stuff.

I'd take PS2/PS3 and OG XBOX / XBOX 360 games over all other gens.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Leynos said:

PS3 was their peak for me; Uncharted 1-3, Resistance 1-3, Killzone 3, Puppeteer, Ratchet & Clank, Motorstorm...

I was only referring to sales though; nowadays they have several IPs able to clear 10 million, back then it was only Gran Turismo.

curl-6 said:
Leynos said:

PS3 was their peak for me; Uncharted 1-3, Resistance 1-3, Killzone 3, Puppeteer, Ratchet & Clank, Motorstorm...

I was only referring to sales though; nowadays they have several IPs able to clear 10 million, back then it was only Gran Turismo.

It's 50-50 for me. Sony came out with a lot of cool new stuff with PS1 like Parappa, Gran Turismo and crash, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 but then the PS3 had uncharted, little big planet and journey, and God of War really came to life on PS3.

All good stuff but for sure the most iconic is PS1 because it was all new and Sony was just emerging.

Around the Network
padib said:
curl-6 said:

It's 50-50 for me. Sony came out with a lot of cool new stuff with PS1 like Parappa, Gran Turismo and crash, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 but then the PS3 had uncharted, little big planet and journey, and God of War really came to life on PS3.

All good stuff but for sure the most iconic is PS1 because it was all new and Sony was just emerging.

Yeah my favourite Playstation is a close match between PS1 and PS3.

My best mate in school had a PS1 and I had an N64, so we'd play each other's consoles to get the best of both worlds; Crash and Spyro were a big part of my childhood.

PS3 had more games overall that appeal to me, but I played all my third party games on 360/Wii that generation so my PS3 was for exclusives.

In terms of sales their first party catalogue really established itself on PS3 then grew on PS4. Nintendo by contrast has had multiple first party megatons since the NES, though never to the extent we see now on Switch where even once smaller IP like Luigi's Mansion and Kirby and hitting the big time.

Ugh Naughty Dog no thanks. Omega Boost PS1 and Medevil. Ape Escape. Wild Arms. Spyro. Dark Cloud series. Mark of Kri. Sly Cooper. Ratchet. Wipeout. Rogue Galaxy.

Peak era.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ps4 is my favorite. Reinvented GoW, Horizon is amazing, GoT was superb. Sackboy was fun.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Anyone remembers and like Black ? A shooter ahead for it's time released in 2006 for PS2 and OG XBOX, that is back compat by the way.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Leynos said:

Ugh Naughty Dog no thanks. Omega Boost PS1 and Medevil. Ape Escape. Wild Arms. Spyro. Dark Cloud series. Mark of Kri. Sly Cooper. Ratchet. Wipeout. Rogue Galaxy.

Peak era.

Ah Wild Arms. I ran across it the other day when perusing my CDs.  I hadn't thought about it in decades. Good game from what i can remember.