By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 141.32 Million Units as of March 2024

HebrewGamer said:

Ok, you win the debate because of a mistype. Xbox came out 1 year later instead of 4. Other than pointing out that mistake you wrote another glob of text gaslighting me and not refuting anything else I said. 

the Switch was more profitable and sold more software than the PS2. I already told you why your 1537M number was wrong. If you don't understand the difference between actual sales numbers and shipping numbers this discussion really wasn't for you.

I suppose there's no point in beating a dead horse, or in this case, a dead pony.

My post if you can't read covered most of your points you made. It's not gaslighting. Also 1537M is not my number. It's Sony official confirmed number and it's for SOLD, not shipped (although even if it was for shipped this also would mean that they already sold to the consumers). This is from 2010 even. So by 2013/2014 when PS2 games were selling that number would only grew. Switch at this moment in time has sold less software and less hardware than PS2. Therefore it's success is still not big as the PS2 if we are talking purely software and hardware numbers. Of course the profits nowadays can be a lot bigger than before. Your original point is wrong though. You can't bash on the success of one console and say it's not valid and give reasons to why. Reason can be found for everything. The only thing that matter is that the success is there. This was my original answer to you. Not PS2 vs Switch.

Soundwave said:

It has the most systems sold yes, but I consider the DS to be the most prolific selling system if you want to put it that way. 

The PS2 only outsold the DS because it was given like 4 more years to sell at bargain basement prices. 

If you give me 7 minutes to jog versus someone else who only has 5 minutes, odds are I'm going to run a longer distance than they can. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm the better long distance runner. 

The DS whupped the PS2's ass to 100 million and beat it again to 150 million. 

The only reason the PS2 has the record is 100% because Nintendo wanted people to buy 3DS' so they cut the DS off. Anyone who's being honest will admit that. Has zero to do with which system was actually more popular. 

DS is then most successful than the Switch too by that logic. And yes I agree, if DS was given 2-3 years more as a major console it would probably otsell the PS2. And no PS2 wasn't given 4 years more. DS just got cut short. Also keep in mind that 100$ back then wasn't exactly bargain basement prices. The 99$ then would be like around 150$ now. DS and 3DS both were selling somewhere around that price in their last years too. The DS whooped the PS2 ass to 100M but so did whopped the ass to the Switch too. Also your last reason is valid for pretty much all the consoles out there. If the companies didn't have other competition they would be in a hurry and every console in history could be sold for at least few years more.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 13 June 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Success is subjective as there are multiple ways to quantify it; sales, profit, market share, cultural significance, etc.

Considering Switch to already be more successful than the PS2 is a reasonable opinion as while PS2 sold more units, Switch has made far more money.

If we're talking "best selling system ever" then right now its PS2, no question, but "success" is a murkier notion to define.

I agree. But it is normal for a console in nowadays, to be more profit than a console from almost 25 years ago. And you can't really measure which one is more successful because of the different eras, and all the different factors that go with this different eras. My original point was that is wrong to ignore the success of one console, and say it's just because of this and that.

curl-6 said:

Success is subjective as there are multiple ways to quantify it; sales, profit, market share, cultural significance, etc.

Considering Switch to already be more successful than the PS2 is a reasonable opinion as while PS2 sold more units, Switch has made far more money.

If we're talking "best selling system ever" then right now its PS2, no question, but "success" is a murkier notion to define.

My original point was about overall success. If we're talking solely about sales numbers than yes, PS2 is still on top and you can't really argue against it. 

This discussion is like saying Michael Jordan is the GOAT when Bill Russell has 5 more championships than he does. the circumstances in which Russell won 11 times matters to the discussion.

Shtinamin_ said:
HebrewGamer said:

You're clearly angry(hence the huge meatwad of text post), and your information is incorrect.

PS2 had the market to themselves for two console generations as Nintendo and Sega's offerings tanked and Xbox has never been competitive outside of the 360. Not so for the Switch who had to overcome the PS4, PS5, Xbox X/S, Steamdeck and similar handheld copycats, Mobile gaming, Piracy(specifically targeting Nintendo games), a chip shortage, and the WiiU failure.

How can you say the pandemic sped up sales when none of these systems were available during that period? Make it make sense. 

The inflation argument is weak and in this case is just wrong. People today are broke because of the high cost of living and don't have nearly as much disposable income as back then as the dollar is rubbish now. 

You're comparing Nintendo selling a nerfed iteration of the Switch which takes away it's home console function to the fully furnished PS2 being half off in year 4. Apples to cheeseburgers(they did the same for the PS1). You also conveniently leave out how the OLED raised the price by $50 and how it's the best selling iteration of the Switch. 

The Switch has already equaled the PS2s lifetime software sales number of 1.2 billion and has probably surpassed it as Nintendo reports actual sales and not shipments like the PS2.

Facts are always relevant my guy.

BTW, the PS5 is the PS2 being sold in the modern day. All Sony has done since the beginning is give you the same gamebox with better graphics and more functions.

And this whole text is why your argument is invalid. You never attack people in an argument and it doesn’t matter why your side is, it is all invalid due to attacking another.

Both consoles are great. They are both successes. We’ve already gone over the PS2 and Switch with their reasons for being a success. Each had their time and each had their place.

Drop it. Switch is amazing and PS2 is still #1 (for now).

Are you a moderator?

XtremeBG said:
HebrewGamer said:

Ok, you win the debate because of a mistype. Xbox came out 1 year later instead of 4. Other than pointing out that mistake you wrote another glob of text gaslighting me and not refuting anything else I said. 

the Switch was more profitable and sold more software than the PS2. I already told you why your 1537M number was wrong. If you don't understand the difference between actual sales numbers and shipping numbers this discussion really wasn't for you.

I suppose there's no point in beating a dead horse, or in this case, a dead pony.

My post if you can't read covered most of your points you made. It's not gaslighting. Also 1537M is not my number. It's Sony official confirmed number and it's for SOLD, not shipped (although even if it was for shipped this also would mean that they already sold to the consumers). This is from 2010 even. So by 2013/2014 when PS2 games were selling that number would only grew. Switch at this moment in time has sold less software and less hardware than PS2. Therefore it's success is still not big as the PS2 if we are talking purely software and hardware numbers. Of course the profits nowadays can be a lot bigger than before. Your original point is wrong though. You can't bash on the success of one console and say it's not valid and give reasons to why. Reason can be found for everything. The only thing that matter is that the success is there. This was my original answer to you. Not PS2 vs Switch.

Soundwave said:

It has the most systems sold yes, but I consider the DS to be the most prolific selling system if you want to put it that way. 

The PS2 only outsold the DS because it was given like 4 more years to sell at bargain basement prices. 

If you give me 7 minutes to jog versus someone else who only has 5 minutes, odds are I'm going to run a longer distance than they can. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm the better long distance runner. 

The DS whupped the PS2's ass to 100 million and beat it again to 150 million. 

The only reason the PS2 has the record is 100% because Nintendo wanted people to buy 3DS' so they cut the DS off. Anyone who's being honest will admit that. Has zero to do with which system was actually more popular. 

DS is then most successful than the Switch too by that logic. And yes I agree, if DS was given 2-3 years more as a major console it would probably otsell the PS2. And no PS2 wasn't given 4 years more. DS just got cut short. Also keep in mind that 100$ back then wasn't exactly bargain basement prices. The 99$ then would be like around 150$ now. DS and 3DS both were selling somewhere around that price in their last years too. The DS whooped the PS2 ass to 100M but so did whopped the ass to the Switch too. Also your last reason is valid for pretty much all the consoles out there. If the companies didn't have other competition they would be in a hurry and every console in history could be sold for at least few years more.

You don't know the difference between sales and shipments. I see that now. shipments does not mean sold to consumer. it means it was stocked by the retailer. As I told you, I know where you got that number from.

(tried to post the direct links but it just won't work. you can go to best selling PS2 games on Wikipedia where it says they shipped 1.24B software and an additional 297 software and click the citation links)

The units SOLD were the additional ~300 units, not the 1.24B which are shipments.

Last edited by HebrewGamer - on 13 June 2024

Around the Network

@HebrewGamer

https://sonyinteractive.com/en/our-company/business-data-sales/

Straight from Sony's website it has officially shipped/sold 1.537 billion units of software as of March 31, 2012. Where is this 1.24 billion coming from?

PS2 wasn't officially discontinued until December 2012/January 2013 hardware wise which means the hardware and software are both higher but we don't know how high. 

HebrewGamer said:

You don't know the difference between sales and shipments. I see that now. shipments does not mean sold to consumer. it means it was stocked by the retailer. As I told you, I know where you got that number from.

(tried to post the direct links but it just won't work. you can go to best selling PS2 games on Wikipedia where it says they shipped 1.24B software and an additional 297 software and click the citation links)

The units SOLD were the additional ~300 units, not the 1.24B which are shipments.

I run numerous sales threads and have been following vgcharts since 2010 (despite my registraion being 2011) You really debate my knowledge in sales and shipments and sold units ?

Even if you was true and the actual number reported was 1.24B and 300 more shipped it is obvious those 300 more would be sold at sometime. Which would again lead to final number of 1537.

However, whereever you try to search for PS2 software sales u can see 1.5B. Here is just one of the many many articles about the official report of Sony SELLING, not shipping that 1.5B in software - https://web.archive.org/web/20110322001816/http://asia.gamespot.com/news/6298857.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop%3Bstory%3B17.

Also keep in mind that this is from February 2011. By the time PS2 games really stopped selling in the stores - sometime in 2014 I guess the PS2 software can have reached even 1.6B or more. I know very good the difference of sold and shipped. I know also that whatever is shipped is becoming sold at sometime. Again though, this is not the reason I answered to your original comment, but because it's not right to bash at the success of any of the consoles. And this is not because I like playstation, or the PS2. In fact my favourite one is PS3. But even if you deny the success of average console like the XB360, or even Nintendo one if you want like 3DS, I would not agree with you, cuz there is no matter the sales, if the console is good or have proven itself to be somewhat of a success, it's not okay to downplay or deny it's achievements. Or even hate at whichever console, even the lower selling ones.

It will be interesting to see where total Switch software lands lifetime; it's at 1.2 billion now; depending how how the remainder of the system's life plays out (how many new games, when it's replaced, when it's discontinued, if the successor is BC) there's a solid chance it tops 1.6b when all's said and done.

It should also be noted that Switch's reported software figures don't include digital-only titles, so with those who knows, could be over 2b already.

@HebrewGamer it doesn't matter anyway because the majority of software sold is Nintendo's so they got 100% royalty. Meanwhile the PS2 was mostly winning on 3rd party titles with rare exceptions. So Nintendo wins anyway.

Phenomajp13 said:

@HebrewGamer

https://sonyinteractive.com/en/our-company/business-data-sales/

Straight from Sony's website it has officially shipped/sold 1.537 billion units of software as of March 31, 2012. Where is this 1.24 billion coming from?

PS2 wasn't officially discontinued until December 2012/January 2013 hardware wise which means the hardware and software are both higher but we don't know how high. 

Sorry buddy, but If you look at your source again it says for software "sell-in" and for hardware it says "sell-through"

sell-in = Units delivered to retailers = shipments

sell-through = units sold to end user/customer = sales

The 1537 cumulative shipments could very well be inaccurate but Sony wouldn't be the first nor the last company to inflate numbers using shipments instead of sales.

Good effort though.