By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is it time for Phil Spencer to be demoted or retire from Microsoft?

Is it time for Phil Spencer to be demoted or retire from Microsoft?

Yes 29 48.33%

Maybe 12 20.00%

No 19 31.67%

Total:60

Xbox as a whole just needs to go away at this point

Around the Network

Wow I rolled my eyes when I saw this post 4 days ago, after today I would be surprised if it doesn't happen. Microsoft the company isn't happy with Xbox's direction.

ice said:

This doesn't help the situation. As upsetting as the layoffs and closers are, the vast majority of people who work at Xbox are regular people, like the ones effected by this. Xbox closing would only cause harm, and the people at the top would be more than fine. 

smroadkill15 said:
ice said:

This doesn't help the situation. As upsetting as the layoffs and closers are, the vast majority of people who work at Xbox are regular people, like the ones effected by this. Xbox closing would only cause harm, and the people at the top would be more than fine. 

Yeah, I don't want thousands of people losing their jobs. Additionally, I'm pretty sure Nintendo and PlayStation would be emboldened by the closing of Xbox. I'm well aware they do anti-consumer stuff already to a large degree. but it would probably get worse. 

Former Blizzard President Says Closures Hurt Phil Spencer 'as Much as Anyone Else' (vgchartz.com)

Yeah, bull. Phil might not say the situation is ideal and feel slightly bad, but I doubt he's losing any sleep. 

I don't even know who to replace Phil with. Sarah Bond is already president of Xbox and I don't know if she'll do anything better as head of Microsoft Gaming. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
smroadkill15 said:

Yeah, I don't want thousands of people losing their jobs. Additionally, I'm pretty sure Nintendo and PlayStation would be emboldened by the closing of Xbox. I'm well aware they do anti-consumer stuff already to a large degree. but it would probably get worse. 

Former Blizzard President Says Closures Hurt Phil Spencer 'as Much as Anyone Else' (vgchartz.com)

Yeah, bull. Phil might not say the situation is ideal and feel slightly bad, but I doubt he's losing any sleep. 

I don't even know who to replace Phil with. Sarah Bond is already president of Xbox and I don't know if she'll do anything better as head of Microsoft Gaming. 

Xbox closing wouldn't be good for a number of reasons. I would rather see them reevaluate Game Pass day 1 releases and become fully 3rd party if this means studios don't get shut down. 

He probably does, but it doesn't really matter if he feels bad. It doesn't change anything.

It would probably be Sarah or Matt. Matt seems more cutthroat than Phil imo. Sarah is a bit of a wildcard, but I do think she would do well in the role. The best outcome would be someone who has worked from the bottom to the top in game development so they at least appreciate and understand the struggles devs go through. This is least likely though. 

Around the Network

I feel like Spencer is the symptom, not the disease, TBH. Any substitute will and would have gone for the same market decisions, speaking in broad strokes.

smroadkill15 said:
Wman1996 said:

Xbox closing wouldn't be good for a number of reasons. I would rather see them reevaluate Game Pass day 1 releases and become fully 3rd party if this means studios don't get shut down. 

He probably does, but it doesn't really matter if he feels bad. It doesn't change anything.

It would probably be Sarah or Matt. Matt seems more cutthroat than Phil imo. Sarah is a bit of a wildcard, but I do think she would do well in the role. The best outcome would be someone who has worked from the bottom to the top in game development so they at least appreciate and understand the struggles devs go through. This is least likely though. 

"Re-evaluate Gamepass day one releases". Finally something we agree on. Gamepass day one is clearly not good for the developers but the problem with removing day and date Gamepass games is that, it was the whole selling point to begin with. It's almost like they can't go back on it because Gamepass was built to sell people that very promise. If they change it now you would get a Helldivers 2 PSN style backlash,(and that backlash was truly massive in scale) and Sony's backing down to the mob tweet got over 40 million views. If you change Gamepass now or you will get is a mob overwhelming you to change it back, or a very severe mass cancellation boycott.  

Changed my answer to yes, bring back the other guy. 

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

The whole upper management needs an unheaval. All seem as clueless as one another tbh.

Bit too late now though. The brand is damaged beyond repair.