By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Best/Favourite film of 2023

As a Godzilla fan, it wasn't a surprise to me that Minus One was my favourite film of 2023, but what shocked me was that it's also the most well crafted film I saw in 2023.

While entertaining, most Godzilla films are uneven in terms of actual filmmaking quality. Minus One though is a brilliantly constructed story of facing and recovering from trauma, told with sincerity and maturity. That it also manages to be a wildly entertaining monster movie is the icing on an already delicious cake.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Dungeon & Dragons Honor Among Thieves, Mario, and John Wick 4.

Around the Network

Super Mario Bros The Movie

First time watching a movie from the theater in 5 years too.

HoloDust said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Can I just vote for The Menu? That movie was awesome enough to take up two years :P

While I initially liked The Menu, but felt slightly disappointed by the end, I found it to remind me somewhat of "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover", which is, IMO, Greenway's finest work.

yeah, was kinda dark and over the top -

Spoiler!
wish a few more people got out, but at least the main chick gets out using her wits which I appreciated. And sort of a funny payoff with the text and closing minutes.

Anya Taylor Joy is such a badass in that movie and not bad on the eyes either! 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

best films:
1. Anatomy of a Fall
2. Killers of the Flower Moon
3. Mission Impossible 7: Part 1
4. Talk To Me

worst films:
1. The Exorcist: Believer
2. 65
3. Meg 2: The Trench

Asteroid City was terrible.

I considered walking out of the theater.

I am a big fan of Wes Anderson's past works. But I hated his last three films, all of which I saw in theaters.

He has gone up his own ass as a director.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

Asteroid City was terrible.

I considered walking out of the theater.

I am a big fan of Wes Anderson's past works. But I hated his last three films, all of which I saw in theaters.

He has gone up his own ass as a director.

I haven't seen it yet, but this is exactly how I felt about The French Dispatch, now I'm worried...

I haven't seen that many films from 2023 tbh - only about 20 - and I've got a bit of a backlog. But from the ones I've seen so far here's my top 5:

1. The Killer - 8/10

2. Oppenheimer - 8/10

3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - 7/10

4. The Equalizer 3 - 7/10

5. Inside - 7/10

Last edited by Machina - on 17 January 2024

Across the Spider-verse
Nimona
Barbenheimer

Saw a lot more memorable tv than film this year. Looking forward to some of this year's roster, though.

I don't watch many films anymore, I seen Mario Movie, it was okay, and Dial of Destiny, which was mediocre as fuck. Wait, did The Whale with Brendan Fraser release in 2023? I watched that, that was really really amazing.

Favourite: Past Lives. I hate mediocre romance movies. But when they are as good as this one... they are some of the best cinematic experiences I've ever had. Past Lives is right up there with The Bridges of Madison County and La La Land for me.

Worst: The First Slam Dunk. What a pile of dogshit. It does not only offers a vastly inferior version of the last arc of the manga (the base of the movie), but it completely butchers and disrespects 4 of the 5 main characters in order to give some background and relevance to the 5th one (which I'll admit was underdeveloped in the manga). And the ending... my God. It was the Rise of Skywalker all over again. I left the room when I saw where that was going.