By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Best/Favourite film of 2023

As a Godzilla fan, it wasn't a surprise to me that Minus One was my favourite film of 2023, but what shocked me was that it's also the most well crafted film I saw in 2023.

While entertaining, most Godzilla films are uneven in terms of actual filmmaking quality. Minus One though is a brilliantly constructed story of facing and recovering from trauma, told with sincerity and maturity. That it also manages to be a wildly entertaining monster movie is the icing on an already delicious cake.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Dungeon & Dragons Honor Among Thieves, Mario, and John Wick 4.

Around the Network

Super Mario Bros The Movie

First time watching a movie from the theater in 5 years too.

HoloDust said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Can I just vote for The Menu? That movie was awesome enough to take up two years :P

While I initially liked The Menu, but felt slightly disappointed by the end, I found it to remind me somewhat of "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover", which is, IMO, Greenway's finest work.

yeah, was kinda dark and over the top -

Spoiler!
wish a few more people got out, but at least the main chick gets out using her wits which I appreciated. And sort of a funny payoff with the text and closing minutes.

Anya Taylor Joy is such a badass in that movie and not bad on the eyes either! 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

best films:
1. Anatomy of a Fall
2. Killers of the Flower Moon
3. Mission Impossible 7: Part 1
4. Talk To Me

worst films:
1. The Exorcist: Believer
2. 65
3. Meg 2: The Trench

Asteroid City was terrible.

I considered walking out of the theater.

I am a big fan of Wes Anderson's past works. But I hated his last three films, all of which I saw in theaters.

He has gone up his own ass as a director.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

Asteroid City was terrible.

I considered walking out of the theater.

I am a big fan of Wes Anderson's past works. But I hated his last three films, all of which I saw in theaters.

He has gone up his own ass as a director.

I haven't seen it yet, but this is exactly how I felt about The French Dispatch, now I'm worried...

I haven't seen that many films from 2023 tbh - only about 20 - and I've got a bit of a backlog. But from the ones I've seen so far here's my top 5:

1. The Killer - 8/10