By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Best/Favourite film of 2023

Oppenheimer for quality.
Mario for fun.
Barbie for Margot's feet.

Around the Network

Spiderman Across the Spider-Verse. Easily the best animated film from the last year.

When Beyond the Spider-verse is out I'm in the theater day one.

archbrix said:

Oppenheimer for quality.
Mario for fun.
Barbie for Margot's feet.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 25 January 2024

curl-6 said:

As a Godzilla fan, it wasn't a surprise to me that Minus One was my favourite film of 2023, but what shocked me was that it's also the most well crafted film I saw in 2023.

While entertaining, most Godzilla films are uneven in terms of actual filmmaking quality. Minus One though is a brilliantly constructed story of facing and recovering from trauma, told with sincerity and maturity. That it also manages to be a wildly entertaining monster movie is the icing on an already delicious cake.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Dungeon & Dragons Honor Among Thieves, Mario, and John Wick 4.

I recently finished Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, and it left me interested in watching the related films.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

As a Godzilla fan, it wasn't a surprise to me that Minus One was my favourite film of 2023, but what shocked me was that it's also the most well crafted film I saw in 2023.

While entertaining, most Godzilla films are uneven in terms of actual filmmaking quality. Minus One though is a brilliantly constructed story of facing and recovering from trauma, told with sincerity and maturity. That it also manages to be a wildly entertaining monster movie is the icing on an already delicious cake.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Dungeon & Dragons Honor Among Thieves, Mario, and John Wick 4.

I recently finished Monarch: Legacy of Monsters, and it left me interested in watching the related films.

If you enjoyed Monarch, the Monsterverse movies are worth checking out. They're not Citizen Kane but they're entertaining monster flicks.

Around the Network

Oppenheimer with John Wick Chapter 4, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse and MI: Dead Reckoning: Part 1 close behind.

Worst of the year for me was Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey (yes, I watched it and it was absolutely dreadful, and no, it wasn’t “so bad it’s good”), Cocaine Bear and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quandumbania.

Eric2048 said:

Spiderman Across the Spider-Verse. Easily the best animated film from the last year.

Two things

1.  You have an awsome profile picture .

2.  Do you think the latest spiderman movie animated film is as good as the original trilogy of spider man films from the early 2000s? 

BiON!@ 

hellobion2 said:
Eric2048 said:

Two things

1.  You have an awsome profile picture .

2.  Do you think the latest spiderman movie animated film is as good as the original trilogy of spider man films from the early 2000s? 

Are you asking if I think it's better than each movie from the original Raimi trilogy? Well I would say yes.

Personally the only movie from that trilogy that comes close is Spiderman 2 which was my favorite Spiderman film before Spider-verse released. I think the first movie aged badly. And the third movie is decent but nothing remarkable.

Divinity

The Zone of Interest.
Oppenheimer and Poor Things were also really great.

I also have high hopes for Past Lives, Killers of the Flower Moon and Anatomy of a Fall.