By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Best/Favourite film of 2023

Didn't see a ton last year. But probably the Mario movie. Air is a close runner-up..

Edit: Mind you I did NOT see Oppenheimer nor Guardians 3 so I figure at least one of those would have the potential to take the spot if I watched it. 

Can I just vote for The Menu? That movie was awesome enough to take up two years :P

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 15 January 2024

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

Think I have watched 4 movies released this year.
Guardians of the Galaxy 3
Oppenheimer
The Super Mario Bros Movie
Barbie

I probably enjoyed Guardians the most but consider Oppenheimer the better film. But as entertainment Guardians win. The performance of almost the whole cast of Oppenheimer was top of the line and that bomb-test scene intensity was something one does not experience often. Sometimes bit of a bore and in Nolan fashion the motives for the characters was bit of a puzzle and hard to follow.
Guardians 3 had good character arc and fun visuals and action scenes. My favorite of the Guardians.

Did not really like the Mario Movie, the plot did not hold up and was a bit of a mess. Liked the fanservice and some of the voice performances.

Barbie was like a B-movie with way to large budget. Most of the scenery was well done. Tried to preach some sort of message but it was done in such a way that it mostly felt like satire against that message.

DarthMetalliCube said:

Can I just vote for The Menu? That movie was awesome enough to take up two years :P

While I initially liked The Menu, but felt slightly disappointed by the end, I found it to remind me somewhat of "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover", which is, IMO, Greenway's finest work.

Knock At The Cabin
Evil Dead Rise
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Beau Is Afraid

Still need to watch Oppenheimer, Tetris and a few others. Dream Scenario looks great, but that isnt in theaters until february 2nd this year here.

Puss in Boots : Last Wish.

Seriously people, watch it. One of the best animated films ever.

EDIT: Realise the US release was 2022, UK release was Feb last year.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Past Lives was far and above the best movie of the year for me.

Beau is Afraid is one I plan to watch soon. I’m a gigantic fan of Ari Aster’s filmmaking.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

HoloDust said:
SvennoJ said:

If you like Wes Anderson movies, Asteroid City is another beautifully made movie.

It's his typical style with a new background. Not as great as the Great Budapest Hotel and the French Dispatch but as charming and funny as always.

I find Asteroid City to be quite a bit better than French Dispatch. Also, it's my favourite from 2023.

The Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom are my favourites when it comes to Wes Anderson.

The French Dispatch stuck with me more than Asteroid city, Asteroid city has more humor though. And also my favorite of 2023.

And yep Moonrise Kingdom is my nr 2 Wes Anderson movie after Grand Budapest.

All his movies are fun to watch any time, I have em all :)

I saw fewer movies in 2023 than I normally do.  Out of the ones I saw, I'd probably say (in order)

1.  Spider-Man Across the Spiderverse
2.  Dumb Money  (i.e. the GameStop stock price biopic)
3.  Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

The Mario movie was good for what it was, but it was obviously targeted at children.  Haven't seen either part of Barbenheimer yet.

In order of declining box office revenue (because I can't decide on a definitive ranking), my Top 5 would probably be:

Barbie
Across the Spider-verse
GOTG Vol. 3
John Wick 4
Godzilla Minus One

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").