Monster Hunter World 3 3.95%

Red Dead Redemption 2 9 11.84%

Spider-Man 5 6.58%

Octopath Traveler 4 5.26%

Super Smash Bros Ultimate 19 25.00%

Other (please specify) 12 15.79%

Total:76
Machina said:

Bluepoint's stunning Shadow of the Colossus remake. I bought a console for it, and it didn't disappoint.

SvennoJ said:

If SotC can count again for 2018 it will get my vote as well! The remake is absolutely stunning. Already voted for it in the 2005 poll though
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247792/2005-game-of-the-year/1/

And since I'm currently in Chapter 10 of RE4 (PSVR2), I can confidently say, while RE4 is amazing in itself, it doesn't touch SotC's greatness.

The year to vote for Shadow of the Colossus was 2005.  The only thing that changed in this remake was the graphics and controls.  The gameplay is the same.

"The gameplay is nearly identical to the original version of the game, aside from reworked controls."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Colossus_(2018_video_game)

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Machina said:

Bluepoint's stunning Shadow of the Colossus remake. I bought a console for it, and it didn't disappoint.

SvennoJ said:

If SotC can count again for 2018 it will get my vote as well! The remake is absolutely stunning. Already voted for it in the 2005 poll though
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247792/2005-game-of-the-year/1/

And since I'm currently in Chapter 10 of RE4 (PSVR2), I can confidently say, while RE4 is amazing in itself, it doesn't touch SotC's greatness.

The year to vote for Shadow of the Colossus was 2005.  The only thing that changed in this remake was the graphics and controls.  The gameplay is the same.

"The gameplay is nearly identical to the original version of the game, aside from reworked controls."

The first sentence isn't correct. The second one mostly is. 

Regardless, your contest so your rules.

My second pick was God of War, but I already selected 'Other'.

Last edited by Machina - on 19 December 2023

I think I was still playing the rest of the 2017 lineup this year. I'd say it's between Red Dead and Spider Man for 2018. Voted for Spidey.

Wait ... Xenoblade 2 Torna the Golden Country counts then ....

Interesting, the improvments gameplay wise and in some other aspects made it into prolly the best experience the whole Xeno series has to offer. The battle system is one of my favorite amongst all the JRPG'S I played and the story not only was incredibly solid as a prequel to a great game, but it literally redefined Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as a whole to be my favorite experience in gaming at that time.

And ooh boy ... The ending.

So my vote goes to it if there's to be a Runoff vote.

Close 2nd would go to Smash Ultimate. The sheer scope of what it did is unmatched in the fighting game genre.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Yeah I figured. There are some small changes but it essentially felt the same as the game felt in 2005. (Minus the wonder of experiencing it for the first time of course)

Astrobot for 2018 it shall remain!

Around the Network

God of War (4).

I still need to give RDR2 a proper chance, RDR was one of my top 5 games on PS3, but playing RDR2 for just a little while was so confusing, it feels like I should love it, and I think I will, but it's so strange how I felt trying to learn how to play it that I just end up letting it go.

Couldn't figure out how to properly take care of the horse, coudn't figure out how to do anything at all and not instantly run out of stamina, and specially couldn't stay out ot being wanted all the time even just by hanging out collecting loot after one of the very first missions, then my bounty getting completely out ot control just trying not to let myself get arrested/killed by just being near a village or road... it felt so damn weird all the time, nothing at all how I experienced the original back in the day!

Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Kirby Star Allies are my favorite games from 2018.

My vote goes to Smash.

For now, I'm gonna have to just drop you my list of favorites from this year, but you know I'll expand a bit later when I have time, at least on my top favorite anyway.

1. Celeste
2. God of War
3. A Case of Distrust
4. Return of the Obra Dinn
5. The Messenger
6. Donut County
7. Florence
8. Deltarune (Chapter 1)
9. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Celeste in particular was a truly outstanding masterpiece and my second-favorite platforming game of all time. Currently ranks 14th on my list of all-time favorite video games. Will expand on this later!

Last edited by Jaicee - on 19 December 2023

RDR2 blew me away. It is the only game in years that I played through twice. The gameplay itself is quite repetetive, but the mission design, the story and the outstanding atmosphere are unmatched if you ask me. Nothing comes close to that game in 2018 in my book.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Lol, Smash is leading the polls? These polls are always interesting.