Monster Hunter World 3 3.95%

Red Dead Redemption 2 9 11.84%

Spider-Man 5 6.58%

Octopath Traveler 4 5.26%

Super Smash Bros Ultimate 19 25.00%

Other (please specify) 12 15.79%

Total:76

Fairly good year for me.

RDR2 was OK...didn't love it, but it was descent enough. Liked the first part more, but that's my inner spaghetti western fan talking, though I expected for Rockstar to make more advancements in gameplay for sequel.

I tried to like Monster Hunter: World, and though it seemsed like a good game, I just couldn't get into it, so I quit after day or two.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance was pretty good - non-fantasy medieval RPG, with lot of very solid systems and gameplay. My younger son loves it, I would, of course, would be more pleased if it was a low magic fantasy setting instead of purely historic (something like TV show Britannia).

Two really good CRPGs taht year, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire and Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Homage to 1997's Theme Hospital, hospital management simulation Two Point Hospital.

Lovely indie game game about exploring the world in land boat/vehicle, FAR: Lone Sails

My favourites from that year are:

Frostpunk, a "society survival game where heat means life and every decision comes at a price" - brutal game that really puts you on the spot to make decisions you don't like, but you must in order for your society, which is always on the brink of collapse, to survive.

and on the opposite end MOSS, being fairly lighthearted VR puzzle-action-adventure with beautiful art and exquisitely charming main protagonist, where every screen is like little digital diorama (unfortunately, as with all things VR, screenshots don't do it justice)

Not really seeing clear winner for overall GotY, so, again, abstaining from vote.

Around the Network

wow(!) was not expecting Smash to be in the lead?? Only voted for it because I know it was my personal GotY back in 2018, though fully anticipated GoW or RDRII to sweep the results.

Gotta go with God of War here honestly. I went into that year expecting RDR2 to be my GOTY considering that RDR was my GOTY in 2010, but I was really let down by RDR2, felt barely at all like the first game. God of War 2018 however was fantastic, exceeded my expectations honestly.

After last year, this year doesn't really compare. Though I still played some new stuff and of course I could just continue with the great stuff that came out last year. This year from the poll I played God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Super Smash Bros Ultimate. From the other list I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider and besides all those this year was the year I played a whole bunch of games that ported to Switch.

I didn't like Red Dead Redemption. I could have known, no should have known, after not liking GTAIV, Rockstar games are just too boring to me. I lost interest very quickly. I also lost interest in God of War quickly. That game didn't click with me either, this story driven adventure style game wasn't what I was looking for in God of War, I wanted something more like GoW3. It has a neat start, but then there was a whole bunch of walking and non-exciting same-y enemies, and I quit.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider though I liked very much, like its two predecessors. This was a game where I actually was expecting the story driven adventure style, and I'd say the whole trilogy is unfairly underrated. Finally the big game this year was Super Smash Bros. Keeping up with my coincidental tradition of buying every other Smash game, I actually got this one. I liked the story mode quite a lot, and of course the game is loaded with content. I found myself returning to the game regularly.

Though it is a great game, my vote for this year is a bit because "there's nothing better". It doesn't come near my top 50 all-time favourites, but my vote is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but I can't ignore Celeste for respectfully addressing mental illness.

Around the Network

Like others, I thought RDR2 would be awesome sauce. But I was let down by the forced uninteresting constant travel. Gun fights could have been better. Just way more boring than it should have been.

I truly loved playing among us with students during the pandemic. Great multiplayer game! It gets my vote.

Kind of a weak year in my opinion. Nintendo weren't pulling their weight and there were relatively few excellent games from third parties, especially compared to the previous year where we had the likes of Nier Automata, RE7, Hellblade, etc.
Thankfully 2019 was an improvement.

SvennoJ said:

If SotC can count again for 2018 it will get my vote as well! The remake is absolutely stunning. Already voted for it in the 2005 poll though
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247792/2005-game-of-the-year/1/

And since I'm currently in Chapter 10 of RE4 (PSVR2), I can confidently say, while RE4 is amazing in itself, it doesn't touch SotC's greatness.

It's pretty much a consensus that the RE4 Remake is not completely better than the original game.  The original game had better voice acting, Ramon Salazar was a better villain in the original game plus they removed sections of the original game. 

Other - Forza Horizon 4 its better than the third game overall even though both of the expansions were kind of weak. Plus, drifting was way too hard even though traffic cars are ghosted in drift zones.

Chris Hu said:

It's pretty much a consensus that the RE4 Remake is not completely better than the original game.  The original game had better voice acting, Ramon Salazar was a better villain in the original game plus they removed sections of the original game. 

It lacks suspense, focused too much on action and getting OP, those are my 'complaints'. While still dying a lot from 'gotcha' instant deaths.

What sections did they remove? I like the quieter sections where you get to explore a bit, did they cut some of those? Boating around the lake, coming back to the village for treasure, walking around with the blue lamp as Ashley, exploring the Depths, those are my favorite sections. The boss fights are my least favorite, like the Ramon boss fight, I just don't find that fun enough to engage with. Reminds me of the RE7 boss fight in the boat house, which was my least fun part in RE7. I'm currently in some high tech sneaking part with automatic machine guns and armored guards with shock weapons. Where is the horror... (And why didn't I get to drive the speed boat humbug lol)

And some things don't work that well in VR. Yesterday I spend half an hour trying to deface the portrait of Ramon as throwing an egg proved to be nearly impossible lol. (It was literally impossible at first since I had throwing set to type B which simply puts the egg back in your inventory no matter how you try to throw it, bugged)

My opinion might change on NG+ as it seems designed for that. Everything feels like a bullet sponge on my first play through, need to upgrade the weapons a lot or it takes a bunch of head shots just for the simple enemies.

Anyway not focused on the voice acting as that's all 2D cut scenes. But maybe the original had better pacing.