Monster Hunter World 3 3.95%

Red Dead Redemption 2 9 11.84%

Spider-Man 5 6.58%

Octopath Traveler 4 5.26%

Super Smash Bros Ultimate 19 25.00%

Other (please specify) 12 15.79%

Total:76
Chrkeller said:

Lol, Smash is leading the polls? These polls are always interesting.

Is one of the best selling games of all time leading the poll that weird?

Around the Network
Machina said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

SvennoJ said:

If SotC can count again for 2018 it will get my vote as well! The remake is absolutely stunning. Already voted for it in the 2005 poll though
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247792/2005-game-of-the-year/1/

And since I'm currently in Chapter 10 of RE4 (PSVR2), I can confidently say, while RE4 is amazing in itself, it doesn't touch SotC's greatness.

The year to vote for Shadow of the Colossus was 2005.  The only thing that changed in this remake was the graphics and controls.  The gameplay is the same.

"The gameplay is nearly identical to the original version of the game, aside from reworked controls."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Colossus_(2018_video_game)

The first sentence isn't correct. The second one mostly is. 

Regardless, your contest so your rules.

My second pick was God of War, but I already selected 'Other'.

Frankly the game is only as much of a "remake" as Metroid Prime Remastered. It reuses the codebase of the original and I'd personally consider it a remaster for that reason even in the graphics are obviously remade. Even some games that describe themselves as remasters like the Spyro Reignited and Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy are closer to remakes since they redid all/most of the code from scratch.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

KLXVER said:
Chrkeller said:

Lol, Smash is leading the polls? These polls are always interesting.

I'm surprised.  I would have guessed more GoW love.  

My two fave games from that year are Xenoblade Torna and Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise. I liked Spider-Man. Smash was cool. Octopath is amazing. Just I am 80s anime fan and I love the Yakuza series. So a Yakuza FOTN was always going to win for me. Torna I liked it more than the main game. I loved Xenoblade 2 but Torna goes in some dark places I like.

And hearing this roaming the sands in my buggy along with classic SEGA arcade tunes is just so good.

Last edited by Leynos - on 20 December 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I tried playing God of War. I couldn't force myself to keep playing after clearing Alfheim. I really, REALLY dislike the over the shoulder camera, the slow movement and stif control over Kratos. This in turn affects the combat very negatively, making it clunky to me.

I fail to see how it was so overwhelmingly well recieved. Does the sequel plays the same?

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

I tried playing God of War. I couldn't force myself to keep playing after clearing Alfheim. I really, REALLY dislike the over the shoulder camera, the slow movement and stif control over Kratos. This in turn affects the combat very negatively, making it clunky to me.

I fail to see how it was so overwhelmingly well recieved. Does the sequel plays the same?

If you didn't like the first, I don't see how you would like the sequel.  

GOW first and Dead Cells second. Maybe SSBU third, though I'm not a huge fan of platform fighters.

Chrkeller said:
KLXVER said:

I'm surprised.  I would have guessed more GoW love.  

Smash and GoW are currently the top 2 games.  I do think either of these games still has a good shot at winning.

Here are some things to consider with how we are doing things now vs. how Game of the Year awards are normally done.

1)  We are looking at these games 5 years later.  Smash Bros is the most evergreen title in the poll.  Other games may have had a bigger impact in 2018, but looking back, Smash is the possibly the game that has had the biggest impact looking at it five years later.  Smash is also the game from the poll that people are most likely to still be playing in 2023.

2) Normally games released in the last few months of the year are at a big disadvantage for receiving a Game of the Year Award.  Why?  Because fewer people have played the games that were released near the holidays.  One of my pet peeves about normal GOTY awards (such as the Geoff Keighly ones) is they happen too early.  The next Oscars are in March.  That is about the right time for an annual awards show.  If GOTY awards were in February or March then people would have the whole holiday season to play various games before making their decision.  In the case of Smash Bros, it released in December, which put it at a huge disadvantage for receiving awards (including awards in 2019, which is where some awards put it).

Chrkeller said:
Vodacixi said:

If you didn't like the first, I don't see how you would like the sequel.  

Thank you ^^

One of the worst years in gaming history in my opinion. Perhaps the worst post-80s year.
RDR2 is one of the most overrated games (except on this site it seems) that I have played. It has a good story with interesting characters, a high level of detail and decent side content, but extremely restrictive linear missions, terrible controls, a lot of filler, repetitive missions with boring shooting mechanics and lots of endlessly long and slow rides, as well as a lot of simulation crap that just degrades the experience. I have never tried a game that was so determined to waste my time. Such a disappointment after the first RDR.
I only played a couple of hours of God of War, it was fairly decent sure, I could understand a lot of the praise, but I vastly preferred the gameplay of the classic trilogy, which had more fun combat and actual platforming. I still want to complete GOW 2018 some day, and I am sure it is a fine game.
Soul Calibur VI is also fine, certainly a better package than Tekken 7, but also not GOTY material. I also fail to see how Smash Ultimate does enough new to warrant GOTY, same goes for Monster Hunter,  a series that was also never my cup of tea. I want to try Assassin's Creed Odyssey, but from what I hear it is not a highlight of the franchise.
Which means Spider-Man is the only AAA game remaining that potentially deserves GOTY, I have not played it yet, but will give it a try when it gets a decent discount.

From the indie titles, Celeste is fine, but I got a tired of it half-way through because it got a bit repetitive, and also felt a lot like Super Meat Boy.
Dead Cells has a lot of strengths, but the progression is just a little too slow for a rogue-like (or maybe I just sucked at the game), and hence als became pretty repetitive.

Return of the Obra Dinn, The Messenger and Into the Breach look very interesting, and I want to try them at some point.

There are three contenders for GOTY for me then: Tetris Effect (does it count?), Tempest 4000 and Gris. All of which are great, but also games that have had better alternatives, such as Journey (for Gris), Gameboy Tetris and Tempest 2000. I guess I will vote for Tetris Effect, a great psychedelic take on a classic puzzle game.