By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2023)

I took a year off of this and lurked this site for a while. Just like I did in 2021 and prior, I'm going to be doing live updates (hopefully) to award winners and game announcements. I know this show gets some mixed reactions, but I always enjoy it (the announcements + the cringe moments + the winners). Bring on the cringe!

Categories below:

Game of the Year: Baldur's Gate 3 Game Direction: Alan Wake 2 Narrative: Alan Wake 2 Art Direction: Alan Wake 2 Score and Music: Final Fantasy 16 Audio Design: Hi-Fi Rush
Performance: Neil Newborn Games for Impact: Tchia Ongoing: Cyberpunk 2077 Indie: Sea of Stars Community Support: Baldur's Gate 3 VR/AR: Resident Evil Village VR
Innovation in Accessibility: Forza Motorsport Action: Armored Core 6 Action/Adventure: The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Roleplaying: Baldur's Gate 3 Fighting: Street Fighter 6 Family: Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Sim/Strategy: Pikmin 4 Sports/Racing: Forza Motorsport Multiplayer: Baldur's Gate 3 Mobile: Honkai: Star Rail Debut Independent Game: Cocoon Player's Voice: Baldur's Gate 3
Esport: Valorant Anticipated:Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Publisher Rankings by Awards Earned:

Larian Studios - 6

Nintendo - 3

Microsoft - 3

Epic Games - 3

Square Enix - 2

CAPCOM - 2

Riot Games - 1

Annapurna Interactive - 1

Bandai Namco Entertainment - 1

miHoYo - 1

Kepler Interactive - 1

Sabotage Studio - 1

CD Projekt - 1

Link to 2021 Thread: The Game Awards Thread (2021) It Takes Two Wins GOTY (vgchartz.com)

Link to 2020 Thread: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243967/the-game-awards-thread-2020/

December 7th - 6:30 PM (CST)

15 Crazy Cringe Moments from TGA past

World Premiers/Games Featured:

1. Pony Island 2 (drugs?)

2. The Rise of the Golden Idol

3. Usual June

4. Harmonium the Musical

5. Windblown

6. Thrasher

7. Dave The Diver Dredge

8. World of Goo 2

9. Metaphor

10. Exodus

11. God of War Ragnarök Valhalla

12. Big Walk

13. Lego Fortnite

14. Kemuri

15. No Rest for the Wicked

16. A bunch of SEGA games announced at once

17. Dragon Ball Sparking Zero

18. The Casting of Frank Stone

19. Visions of Mana

20. Rise of the Ronin

21. OD

22. Jurassic Park Survival

23. Black Myth Wukong

24. Suicide Squad

25. Warframe: Whispers in the Walls

26. Banishers Ghosts of New Eden

27. Ready or Not

28. Zau: Tales of Kenzera

29. Lost Records Bloom & Rage

30. The First Berserker: Khazan

31. Honkai something

32. Skull & Bones

33. Blade

34. Last Sentinel

35. The First Descendant

36. Den of Wolves

37. Exoborne

38. Asgard's Wrath 2

39. Light No Fire

40. Stormgate

41. Final Fantasy 16: Echoes of the Fallen and Rising Tide

42. The Final

43. Palia

44. Monster Hunter Wilds

Last edited by Dulfite - on 07 December 2023

Around the Network

I'm mostly curious about the Most Anticipated Award, 2024 looks like a bit of a slow year at least for confirmed titles, which I'm fine with after 2023, but it leaves us with some smaller than usual candidates. I guess Rebirth will take it, but Tekken 8 or even Hades II might actually also stand a chance.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

I'm mostly curious about the Most Anticipated Award, 2024 looks like a bit of a slow year at least for confirmed titles, which I'm fine with after 2023, but it leaves us with some smaller than usual candidates. I guess Rebirth will take it, but Tekken 8 or even Hades II might actually also stand a chance.

2024, if Nintendo's next console comes out, is sure to have a ton of games none of us even know about yet (not just first party Nintendo games, but any kind of exclusive/timed exclusive second/third party games as well).

If Switch 2 (or whatever it is called) doesn't come out, then I'm sure the year will have other announcements. 2023 was absolutely loaded, though.

I want Alan Wake II to get some of the awards, but I watch this show because of the announcements.

Dulfite said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

2024, if Nintendo's next console comes out, is sure to have a ton of games none of us even know about yet (not just first party Nintendo games, but any kind of exclusive/timed exclusive second/third party games as well).

If Switch 2 (or whatever it is called) doesn't come out, then I'm sure the year will have other announcements. 2023 was absolutely loaded, though.

I agree if Nintendo's next system comes out they will have obviously have some unnanounced titles for it, but considering it probably won't be in the first half of the year it probably won't be more than 1-2 really big ones. Anyways it could turn out a great year, but it's probably one of the most empty years in recent memory when it comes to pre-announced titles.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I'm hoping Avowed is right around the corner.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Who is going to not watch this trash fire?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Dulfite said:

I agree if Nintendo's next system comes out they will have obviously have some unnanounced titles for it, but considering it probably won't be in the first half of the year it probably won't be more than 1-2 really big ones. Anyways it could turn out a great year, but it's probably one of the most empty years in recent memory when it comes to pre-announced titles.

Nintendo did not expect Switch 1 to sell so much, and it didn't *really* take off until 2020 with Covid + Animal Crossing. Because of that, they probably already had teams who had done games released in late 2019 or 2020 moving on to development for Switch 2, considering they typically have a new console every 5.5 years or so.

They've probably been sitting on quite a few done/mostly done Switch 2 games for a while now, because of that. They couldn't just have these teams change engines for Switch 2 games to ones that can work on Switch 1 because Switch suddenly was selling like crazy, so I'm sure they kept them focused on their next gen games. They had no way to anticipate any of what happened.

Now, I expect they will stagger those releases to maximize sales potential, but I believe there are a lot of completed games already for next gen.

Leynos said:

People that don't:

A) Like awards show

B) Like game announcements

C) Like cringe

D) All of the above

Last edited by Dulfite - on 07 December 2023

Dulfite said:
Leynos said:

People that:

A) Like awards show

B) Like game announcements

C) Like cringe

D) All of the above

I'm all of the above, personally. I can't wait for the cringe!

Read my post again. I didn't ask who is watching it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!