By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2021) It Takes Two Wins GOTY

What excites you most about TGA?

The winners 2 4.44%

The tears of the losers 2 4.44%

Geoff getting visibly frustrated 1 2.22%

Game Announcements 26 57.78%

The guy who voices "world premiere" 4 8.89%

When the credits role 2 4.44%

Revealing viewership from last year to brag 0 0%

Josef fares... Anything to do with the man 4 8.89%

Live Music 0 0%

A rumored game once again not bring announced 4 8.89%

Total:45

Just like I did last year, I'm going to be doing live updates to award winners and game announcements. The only thing that may delay me that I can think of is putting my toddler to sleep around then, so I may be deep into the reading of Anne of Green Gables and have to play catch up. I'd apologize ahead of time, except I'm really not sorry about reading books to my child lol.

Game Awards:

Game of the Year: It Takes Two  Best Game Direction: Deathloop Best Narrative: Guardians of the Galaxy  Art Direction: Deathloop Score and Music: Nier Replicant Audio Design: Forza Horizon 5
Performance: Resident Evil Village Games for Impact:  Ongoing: Final Fantasy 14 Indie: Kena: Bridge of Spirit Community Support: Final Fantasy 14 VR/AR: Resident Evil 4 VR
Innovation In Accessibility: Forza Horizon 5 Action: Returnal Action/Adventure: Metroid Dread Roleplaying: Tales of Arise  Fighting: Guilty Gear Strive Family: It Takes Two
Sim/Strategy: Age of Empires 4 Sports/Racing: Forza Horizon 5 Multiplayer: It Takes Two Players Choice:Halo Infinite Best New Independent Game: Kena: Bridge of Spirit Player's Voice: Halo Infinite
Esport: League of Legends Anticipated: Elden Ring

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Publisher Rankings by Awards Earned:

Microsoft - 9 (Counting Deathloop, since they own Bethesda)
Square Enix - 4
Bandai Namco - 4
EA - 3
Ember Lab - 2
Capcom - 2
Sony - 1
Nintendo - 1
Tencent - 1

Nominees 2021

Games Shown:

-King of Fighter release date announced
-The Texas Chain Saw Massacre Game (Event?)
-Homeworld 3
-The Expanse A TellTale Series
-Babylon's Fall coming March 2022
-Chivalry 2 DLC
-Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak coming Summer 2022
-Thirsty Suitors
-Evil West
-Have A Nice Death
-Planet Of Lana
-Person 4 Arena Ultimax PS4/Switch/Steam March 17th
-Sting, The Musical, The Game
-Hellblade 2
-Star Wars Eclipse
-Lostark
-Wonder Woman
-Alan Wake 2 coming 2023
-Horizon 2: Forbidden West
-Final Fantasy 7R 2/DLC
-You can buy terrible games on Google Play Store
-Nintendo made games in 2021
-Destiny 2 The Witch Queen
-Slitterhead? I couldn't tell, the font choice/color was terrible.
-Nightingale
-The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - The Untold Stories
-Pizza + FinalFantasy 14
-Player Unknown Battlegrounds is still around, but now free.
-Somerville
-Cuphead The Delicious Last Course coming June 30th 2022
-Sonic of the Wild Frontiers
-Warhammer Vermide
-Tchia coming Spring 2022
-Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
-Forspoken coming May 24, 2022
-Warhammer Space Marine 2
-Saints Row Self Made
-Fall Guys Additional Outfits
-Dune Spice Wars
-Borderlands Tiny Tina, March 2022
-Amoung Us VR
-DokeV
-Genshin Impact new content
-Steel Rising
-Metal Hellslinger
-Star Trek Resurgence
-Rumbleverse
-A Plague Tale Requiem 
-Dying Light 2 Stay Human
-Crossfire
-Fortnite Chapter 3
-BloodHunt
-GTFO (whatever that is?) is apparently out now.
-Elden Ring
-Synced Off-Planet
-Arc Raiders
-The Matrix Awaken

Link to Last Year's Thread: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/243967/the-game-awards-thread-2020/

December 9th - 8:30pm Easternpm / 7:30 Central 

15 Crazy Cringe Moments from TGA past

Here is the cringe from last year:

I'll be setting it up as we approach the date and hopefully come up with an amusing poll that tops this juicy one from last year:

What cringe are you excited about?

Confusing game trailers 4 15.38%

A game you like winning t... 1 3.85%

Josef Fares going insane once again 4 15.38%

Geoff Keighley looking uncomfortable 9 34.62%

Hydrobot’s Revenge 1 3.85%

Awkward backstage attendee interviews 0 0%

Cliff Bleszinski insulting PC gamers 0 0%

Hideo Kojima barred entry once again 1 3.85%

Watching someone use a VR and actin’ a fool 0 0%

The unknown cringe 6 23.08%

Total: 26

Last edited by Dulfite - on 09 December 2021

Around the Network

Was I the only excited to see TLOU 2 winning?

IcaroRibeiro said:

In this site, one of the few ones.

We had plenty of users saying things like: 

I haven’t played the game but I can swear that is bad. 

kazuyamishima said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Well I can't comment on the gameplay, since I didn't play it myself, but I watched all of it and I hated the story.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 16 November 2021

Yeah, I'm wondering if we will have anything close to the drama of TLOU2 last year for 2021. I doubt it from what's transpired so far. Looking forward to all the new games and surprises!

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Commented on the news article already but I wish they had at least one Guardians actor nominated in Best Performance. But I guess it's hard to pick just one rep from it when all the characters are voiced so well. Other than that the nominations seem mostly fine, though it is hard to argue either way for the 6 goty nominees when so many games had a similar critical reception this year. At the end of the day, it's hard to argue Forza didn't deserve more.

I actually thought the collective quality of this year was good, but I can't think of any one game I'd say deserves to be Goty. Forza may be great, but it's still more or less what other racer games are except shinier. Halo Infinite is fun, but has some problems to sort out. Metroid Dread is fantastic, but plays pretty safe for this genre rather than expanding it.  The rest don't stand out to me either. None of these games are TLOU, BOTW, Spider-Man, gow quality games.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 16 November 2021

Dulfite said:
mZuzek said:

Commented on the news article already but I wish they had at least one Guardians actor nominated in Best Performance. But I guess it's hard to pick just one rep from it when all the characters are voiced so well. Other than that the nominations seem mostly fine, though it is hard to argue either way for the 6 goty nominees when so many games had a similar critical reception this year. At the end of the day, it's hard to argue Forza didn't deserve more.

I actually thought the collective quality of this year was good, buy I can't think of any one game I'd say deserves to be Goty. Forza may be great, but it's still more or less what other racer games are except shinier. Halo Infinite is fun, but has some problems to sort out. Metroid Dread is fantastic, but plays pretty safe for what this genre rather than expanding it.  The rest don't stand out to me either. None of these games are TLOU, BOTW, Spider-Man, gow quality games.

Never expected it for the first year. But I really think a lot "good" is enough to be exited for a first year even if nothing "great". Last gen we had nothing "great" and only a couple of "good" like ine from each console. Wonderfull start I say. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

mZuzek said:

that article comment section got crazzy real fast. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Kakadu18 said:
kazuyamishima said:

Well I can't comment on the gameplay, since I didn't play it myself, but I watched all of it and I hated the story.

How so? The story is the best thing about the game

I've just said the GOTY contenders. 2020 line up was stronger imo which I guess it's understandable, this is the first year of current gen