By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2021) It Takes Two Wins GOTY

What excites you most about TGA?

The winners 2 4.44%

The tears of the losers 2 4.44%

Geoff getting visibly frustrated 1 2.22%

Game Announcements 26 57.78%

The guy who voices "world premiere" 4 8.89%

When the credits role 2 4.44%

Revealing viewership from last year to brag 0 0%

Josef fares... Anything to do with the man 4 8.89%

Live Music 0 0%

A rumored game once again not bring announced 4 8.89%

Total:45
Azzanation said:
twintail said:

Please define 'correct', because these games are nominated by 103 different media outlets. 

Place the best of the best eligible for overall GOTY. Not sub genreing them off because they dont fit a certent narrative.

Still cryptic, what are you talking about ? 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

Place the best of the best eligible for overall GOTY. Not sub genreing them off because they dont fit a certent narrative.

He's talking about Forza not getting GOTY nomination and only racing/sports nomination.

But his point doesn't make sense, it wasn't sub-genred out. Being nominated for best racing/sports game doesn't prevent you from being nominated for best game if the year. Just as the other GOTY nominated games are nominated for other awards as well.

It's simple, not enough of the 100+ critics nominated Forza Horizon for overall GOTY. That's it.

Forza was eligible, it wasn't nominated by enough critics.

Zippy6 said:

He's talking about Forza not getting GOTY nomination and only racing/sports nomination.

But his point doesn't make sense, it wasn't sub-genred out. Being nominated for best racing/sports game doesn't prevent you from being nominated for best game if the year. Just as the other GOTY nominated games are nominated for other awards as well.

It's simple, not enough of the 100+ critics nominated Forza Horizon for overall GOTY. That's it.

Sounds pretty biased to me. 

If Forza is in one genre like Racing, then what about Strategy games, and why is it always action or 3rd party based games that always get put up for GOTY?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Zippy6 said:

Sounds pretty biased to me. 

If Forza is in one genre like Racing, then what about Strategy games, and why is it always action or 3rd party based games that always get put up for GOTY?.

There is an award for strategy games.... >.>

The critics vote, the 100+ media outlets pick whatever they want to pick. Opinions are inherently biased.

Zippy6 said:

The critics vote, the 100+ media outlets pick whatever they want to pick. Opinions are inherently biased.

Yeah, but I'm on about one winning GOTY.

Like looking back on the list of GOTY awards from multiple award venues, there's been 5 times a strategy game won GOTY, and that's mostly from years and years ago (most recent being 2015, and that was from a Czech site of all places.

Well of course they are biased, but the main point is that the same scenario keeps playing out and it's both boring and just makes me question the minds of those doing the picking. Most of the votes are centered around Action-role playing or just action based.

Again, even looking up racing games, they too only won 5 times and were once again from years and years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards

Last edited by Chazore - on 18 November 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Zippy6 said:

Yeah, but I'm on about one winning GOTY.

Like looking back on the list of GOTY awards from multiple award venues, there's been 5 times a strategy game won GOTY, and that's mostly from years and years ago (most recent being 2015, and that was from a Czech site of all places.

Well of course they are biased, but the main point is that the same scenario keeps playing out and it's both boring and just makes me question the minds of those doing the picking. Most of the votes are centered around Action-role playing or just action based.

Again, even looking up racing games, they too only won 5 times and were once again from years and years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards

This just comes down to some genres being more popular than others, people pick the game they like the most which will be from the genre(s) they like the most, and it's not necessarily the game they think deserves the highest numerical rating either. E.G you may think "Yeah it's a 9/10 racing game, not much they could have done better... but it's still a racing game and I enjoy other genres more." And instead nominate a game that you only gave 8/10, because you can see it's flawed and has it's problems so deserves a lower rating but you still love it and enjoyed it more anyway so it's your game of the year.

People will pick the games they enjoy the most, the games that connect with them the most and the games they find the most memorable to be their game of the year.

The number of people that will say "Racing" is their favourite genre of game or "Strategy" is their favourite genre of game will be greatly dwarfed by other genres such as Action/RPG/Shooter, which is why far more Action/RPG/Shooter games are made.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Azzanation said:

Lets look at last year and this year.

Half Life Alyx is considered one of the best games ever made, sat as one of the best reviewed games that year and has a great User score, only got nominated for VR GOTY.. wasnt eligible. 

Forza Horizon 5, same deal, one of if not the best recieved and played games this year, offering some of the best visuals, sound design, value and is the highest rated game this year isnt eligible. 

Some shifty stuff happening at The Game Awards. Im sorry if you dont agree but its quite obvious that they want to choose games that suit thier viewerships instead.

Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Half Life Alyx is considered one of the best games ever made, sat as one of the best reviewed games that year and has a great User score, only got nominated for VR GOTY.. wasnt eligible. 

Forza Horizon 5, same deal, one of if not the best recieved and played games this year, offering some of the best visuals, sound design, value and is the highest rated game this year isnt eligible. 

Some shifty stuff happening at The Game Awards. Im sorry if you dont agree but its quite obvious that they want to choose games that suit thier viewerships instead.

Half Life Alyx WAS eligible, it didn't get enough votes to make it into the top 5. You are the under the misguided idea that highest metascore means it will get most nominations.

The nominations are made by the "entire editorial staff" of "over 100 media outlets". How many of these people played Half-Life Alyx? There's the limit on how many of these people can nominate it, it's a VR game so likely not that many. Next: how many of these people would pick it as their favourite game of the year? Note: Favourite game, not game they'd give the highest numerical score.

Here is how the nominees are chosen:

"Nominees for most categories of The Game Awards are chosen by an international jury of over 100 global media and influencer outlets, selected for their history of critical evaluation of video games.

Specialized juries also convene for other categories including esports and accessibility.

Each voting outlet completes a confidential, unranked ballot based on the collective and diverse opinion of its entire editorial staff, listing out its top five choices in each category.

Ballots are tabulated, and the five games that appear on the most ballots are put forth as nominees. In the event of a tie, six (or more) nominees will be announced in a category."

Azzanation said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

So if your theory is true either:

A) They lied to their media partners about their votes counting as to who should be the nominee.

or

B) Their media partners, all 100+ of them, are in in the conspiracy to only nominate games that will generate the most views, somehow none of them leaking these details out.

Zippy6 said:

This just comes down to some genres being more popular than others, people pick the game they like the most which will be from the genre(s) they like the most, and it's not necessarily the game they think deserves the highest numerical rating either. E.G you may think "Yeah it's a 9/10 racing game, not much they could have done better... but it's still a racing game and I enjoy other genres more." And instead nominate a game that you only gave 8/10, because you can see it's flawed and has it's problems so deserves a lower rating but you still love it and enjoyed it more anyway so it's your game of the year.

People will pick the games they enjoy the most, the games that connect with them the most and the games they find the most memorable to be their game of the year.

The number of people that will say "Racing" is their favourite genre of game or "Strategy" is their favourite genre of game will be greatly dwarfed by other genres such as Action/RPG/Shooter, which is why far more Action/RPG/Shooter games are made.

It's been like this for years though, even back in the days when Racing and Strategy were actually popular, they still didn't win out against what still wins today.

Then why not simply pick someone else who actually has differnt tastes, instead of picking the same outlets, year after year, who never ever seem to change in their taste of genre?.

Don't you see this as a tad mundane and insane to look at over the years?. I mean, Vaas wasn't wrong in Far Cry 3, when he told you the definition of insanity, and well, opinions or not, this same outcome reads like such a pattern, either that or a good chunk of those outlets are simple minded.

See while Azz thinks there's some form of conspiracy going on with the awards, I think people are too stupid to notice a repetitive pattern and that it keeps playing out. Yes I know people can like X or Y thing, but mate, I love art, I want to draw different shit, and yet half the furry fandom do this thing where they dabble in fetish art and they literally spam the one thing they like, and that tends to put off some artists over time, to a point where they want to change what kind of commissions they take (that's a huge hint, if you didn't already take what I'm getting at here, if you refuse to see that, then I don't know how to describe it to you to make you see the issue here). 

Take it from my view, I love RTS and platformers, even ARPG's, but you know what I don't want to see?, them winning year after year, because that would be both repetitive and boring of an outcome and show that tastes have been watered down. All I want to see are different results, chances for others to win and strive forward, but that's clearly not happening in the awards in the games industry over the years, because the same stuff keeps being chosen time and time again.

Last edited by Chazore - on 18 November 2021