By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2021) It Takes Two Wins GOTY

What excites you most about TGA?

The winners 2 4.44%

The tears of the losers 2 4.44%

Geoff getting visibly frustrated 1 2.22%

Game Announcements 26 57.78%

The guy who voices "world premiere" 4 8.89%

When the credits role 2 4.44%

Revealing viewership from last year to brag 0 0%

Josef fares... Anything to do with the man 4 8.89%

Live Music 0 0%

A rumored game once again not bring announced 4 8.89%

Total:45
CloudxTifa said:

I'm glad to see Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart doing great. But I'm surprised to not see Monster Hunter Rise... It was last year ?

MHR is nominated for best RPG. It launched March 26th.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
CloudxTifa said:

I'm glad to see Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart doing great. But I'm surprised to not see Monster Hunter Rise... It was last year ?

Thank you. So I'm very surprised to not see it nominated at the Game of the Year. It got a 88% metacritic score. That's strange...

Runa216 said:

Man, some of the discourse here is pretty...strange. I don't understand this 'it got the highest metacritic so it should be the game of the year' arguments. Like, review scores are often meant as a metric of how well it did something specific, Forza Horizon is an outstanding RACING game, but it's still just a racing game. that doesn't mean it's not great, it just means it's a bit more niche. It didn't and won't have the impact of a Death Loop or Returnal or Ratchet & Clank or Metroid Dread or It Takes Two.

It's such a strange phenomenon because, like, I do agree it was one of the best at what it did but just like sports titles it seems weird to give it a game of the year award. with no story, no characters, no real plot, just arcadey racing - even if it's GOOD arcadey racing - it makes perfect sense that it didn't leave as much of an impact even if it did review well.

I don't even like The Last of Us, but I agree with it winning because it was the most artistically bold, it was the best designed, it was the most creative and original, it was the one that was most daring. Forza Horizon 5 is a great racing game but I wouldn't nominate it for GOTY any more than Fifa 2022 or whatever football game is out. IT's just a refinement on a game genre that was mastered years ago. that makes it amazing, but impact matters and once Forza Horizon 6 comes out, nobody's gonna be talking about Forza Horizon 5. It's just an iterative take on an established franchise. That does matter.

I've only played it for an hour and I have come to realise it has those things, much more than previous entries, which also had them... In smaller capacities.

You haven't played it.

CloudxTifa said:
Kakadu18 said:

Thank you. So I'm very surprised to not see it nominated at the Game of the Year. It got a 88% metacritic score. That's strange...

The very first awards show Geoff did. Tony Hawk won best sports game and the GOTY went to Madden 2004. His shows awards never made much sense. They have always been awful. We know which ones paid there way there when RDR2 won best music in a year with Octopath.  Bayonetta was snubbed in 2014 to a mediocre game in Dragon Age Inquisition. Yakuza games are always snubbed and there is often a general bias against nominating a lot of Japanese games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

IcaroRibeiro said:

Is so hard to believe the media outlets just choose action adventure because that's the most popular genre and the ones that appeals the most?

If the point was to bring in views, they would nominee anything that was highly popular like FIFA or COD. Instead we see indies 

That would be too obvious. However if CoD wasn't exactly a huge bomb, you can be sure they would do their best to get it in the GOTY conversation. Fifa, no matter how good it becomes, they have created a system to avoid giving sport games the GOTY. Fifa or any Sport games will always be snubbed in the Sport genre only awards. Which is the entire problem with the show. It shouldn't matter what genre it is, if they are going to have an Overall GOTY award than make the best games eligible, don't let them use the excuses of its a niche genre or it has its own category to win. If that's the case than rename the "Overall GOTY" award to Best Action, Narrative, Adventure, Platform, Shooter award.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Leynos said:

The very first awards show Geoff did. Tony Hawk won best sports game and the GOTY went to Madden 2004. His shows awards never made much sense. They have always been awful. We know which ones paid there way there when RDR2 won best music in a year with Octopath.  Bayonetta was snubbed in 2014 to a mediocre game in Dragon Age Inquisition. Yakuza games are always snubbed and there is often a general bias against nominating a lot of Japanese games.

In my opinion, Bayonetta 2 should have never made it anywhere near any game of the year awards, but you know, it's my opinion. Your opinion is yours. An awards show is determined by opinions (and likely agendas) that are neither mine or yours. It's just how it is.

Yeah but you'd be wrong.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I put a poll up! Getting closer, people!

I skiped last year and just watched the anouncements the next day. Might do the same this year.

Although I got to say that the last coment made by keely picked my interest. That some games dint get shown last year because of the pandemic. So if those games get shown now means that they will be soon to release. Please keep the CG trailers to a minimum.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

I skiped last year and just watched the anouncements the next day. Might do the same this year.

Although I got to say that the last coment made by keely picked my interest. That some games dint get shown last year because of the pandemic. So if those games get shown now means that they will be soon to release. Please keep the CG trailers to a minimum.

That's the trade off of shows like this or old-school E3. As fun as the consolidated shows are compared to every publisher having their own presentation format/timing and being able to deep dive into each game, the negative is these companies only get seconds to minutes to announce their game and CGI goes a long way to excite people if they only get that little time.

Geoff runs through things at a rapid pace so people don't have the time to do 5-10 minute deep dive gameplay trailers. The only time they have has to be spent emotionally captivating people and you achieve that more easily with cinematics.

Dulfite said:
eva01beserk said:

That's the trade off of shows like this or old-school E3. As fun as the consolidated shows are compared to every publisher having their own presentation format/timing and being able to deep dive into each game, the negative is these companies only get seconds to minutes to announce their game and CGI goes a long way to excite people if they only get that little time.

Geoff runs through things at a rapid pace so people don't have the time to do 5-10 minute deep dive gameplay trailers. The only time they have has to be spent emotionally captivating people and you achieve that more easily with cinematics.

It's weird because it's a surefire way to loose my interest. I see a CGI cinematic and I'm like "I have no idea if I want to play that game". In contrast, I saw 30 seconds of combat from Tales of Arise and I was sold.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 23 November 2021

Signature goes here!