By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European console sales data from October 2023.

Not good for Xbox. And we will see a PS5 Pro but not a Series X Pro? From what I have seen. Perhaps they know it won't sell enough.

Around the Network

How is the xbox 50% down yoy and at the same time 20% down month on month ? Both numbers for oct 2022 and sept 2023 are the same - 195k
So if it's down 50% than last year then it should be around 100k but if it's down 20% it should be at around 160k ?

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Zippy6 said:

Less than half last year sales for Xbox. Unbelievable. They released nothing last year.

That it's declining this much so early is an absolutely shocking result. How they expect to keep selling this hardware for another 5 years is beyond me. It's starting to crash and burn at less than 3 years old.

Thats why we could read that the norm of 20% to 80% split, is drawing closer to a 10% to 90% one.
Like, some places xbox was getting outsold 9 to 1, in europe.

Zippy6 said:
Norion said:

To be fair Xbox Series sales were inflated in Europe last year due to PS5 stock issues but it is still rough yeah. The YoY comparisons should be better next year at least.

And despite the apparent inflation Xbox Series 2022 in Europe was worse than Xbox One 2015 in Europe. That's what makes these YoY comparisons all the more damning. 2022 wasn't an especially strong performance, it was just fine by Xbox standards. Which makes 2023 awful

Sure I did say it was rough. It just shouldn't continue falling off a cliff and be more stable next year so it should last till 2028 even if sales remain poor here.

Zippy6 said:
haxxiy said:

This article is covering Europe, without the UK and Germany. So not going to be exact using these percentages for all of Europe. Xbox was estimated to be -40% YoY for UK.

But yeah I think we're probably looking at around 110k for Xbox and 700k for PS5.

Still a bit strange that the other consoles would be an exact match but the Xbox somehow is selling better. Maybe it was a little overtracked last month/last year?

AFAIK the UK for instance is much more like the rest of Europe than it was in the X360 days, and PS usually dominates ROTW.

Around the Network

Probably a social backlash of a large acquisition. My opinion like many others was "MS you piece of ****".

javi741 said:

Switch down 20% for the month where value-added bundles, Mario Wonder, and a new Switch Oled Mario model released is underwhelming tbh. Of course the Switch is in it's 7th year and reaching saturation but I still expected a bit more this month considering all those things releasing at the same time, especially since October of 2022 didn't really have any big hitters. Switch might be declining quicker than I expected.

It's definitely going to decline hard especially next year, 2024 for Switch 2 was always the correct call, probably sooner in the year would be better too if Nintendo can get it done (like a summer launch). 

javi741 said:

Switch down 20% for the month where value-added bundles, Mario Wonder, and a new Switch Oled Mario model released is underwhelming tbh. Of course the Switch is in it's 7th year and reaching saturation but I still expected a bit more this month considering all those things releasing at the same time, especially since October of 2022 didn't really have any big hitters. Switch might be declining quicker than I expected.

Am I reading it wrong? It says Switch is up 10% for the month. But down 20% year-on-year.

Hiku said:
javi741 said:

Am I reading it wrong? It says Switch is up 10% for the month. But down 20% year-on-year.

He's not wrong, October 2023 is down 20% compared to October 2022, but up 10% compared to September 2023.

XtremeBG said:

How is the xbox 50% down yoy and at the same time 20% down month on month ? Both numbers for oct 2022 and sept 2023 are the same - 195k
So if it's down 50% than last year then it should be around 100k but if it's down 20% it should be at around 160k ?

The September report from GamesIndustry specifically stated it only covered 4 weeks, while VGC estimates use the same dates as NPD/Circana, which means September for us had 5 weeks. So I had to extrapolate to get the 5 weeks for September for Europe. That is the reason for the difference.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.