By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European console sales data from October 2023.

Around the Network

Xbox sales are not good at all

Switch down 20% for the month where value-added bundles, Mario Wonder, and a new Switch Oled Mario model released is underwhelming tbh. Of course the Switch is in it's 7th year and reaching saturation but I still expected a bit more this month considering all those things releasing at the same time, especially since October of 2022 didn't really have any big hitters. Switch might be declining quicker than I expected.

Using VGC, that would place PS5 at ~720K and the Switch at ~245K, but it's hard to square these YoY and MoM XBox numbers with VGC's.

Less than half last year sales for Xbox. Unbelievable. They released nothing last year.

That it's declining this much so early is an absolutely shocking result. How they expect to keep selling this hardware for another 5 years is beyond me. It's starting to crash and burn at less than 3 years old.

Around the Network

52% down YoY after their biggest exclusive is a disaster for Xbox

haxxiy said:

Using VGC, that would place PS5 at ~720K and the Switch at ~245K, but it's hard to square these YoY and MoM XBox numbers with VGC's.

This article is covering Europe, without the UK and Germany. So not going to be exact using these percentages for all of Europe. Xbox was estimated to be -40% YoY for UK.

But yeah I think we're probably looking at around 110k for Xbox and 700k for PS5.

javi741 said:

Switch down 20% for the month where value-added bundles, Mario Wonder, and a new Switch Oled Mario model released is underwhelming tbh. Of course the Switch is in it's 7th year and reaching saturation but I still expected a bit more this month considering all those things releasing at the same time, especially since October of 2022 didn't really have any big hitters. Switch might be declining quicker than I expected.

Yea the bundles were scarce in Europe and we didn't get the Mario Kart one, which would ofc have been the biggest. They do have a Mario Kart OLED bundle for black friday, but that's nothing special compared to other deals.

I said it beforehand but I really think Nintendo should have done more to push sales in Europe, it was clearly their weakest market moving into the holiday and with the console being 7 years old they needed to be more aggressive to get people's attention, for example bundling Wonder or TotK instead or doing a straight up discount. They'll still do fine I suppose but we could have seen a much smaller decline.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Zippy6 said:

Less than half last year sales for Xbox. Unbelievable. They released nothing last year.

That it's declining this much so early is an absolutely shocking result. How they expect to keep selling this hardware for another 5 years is beyond me. It's starting to crash and burn at less than 3 years old.

To be fair Xbox Series sales were inflated in Europe last year due to PS5 stock issues but it is still rough yeah. The YoY comparisons should be better next year at least.

Norion said:
Zippy6 said:

To be fair Xbox Series sales were inflated in Europe last year due to PS5 stock issues but it is still rough yeah. The YoY comparisons should be better next year at least.

And despite the apparent inflation Xbox Series 2022 in Europe was worse than Xbox One 2015 in Europe. That's what makes these YoY comparisons all the more damning. 2022 wasn't an especially strong performance, it was just fine by Xbox standards. Which makes 2023 awful