By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European console sales data from October 2023.

-Adonis- said:
Zippy6 said:

There were no stock issues for the Xbox in Europe in October. Your theory is wrong.

Stock issues in America when it is heavily discounted during the holidays isn't proof at all, nor would sales improving next month be proof either.

This. And for this month, I was on a french shop earlier, there was many Series S on the shelves. 

2023 in France:
PS5 – 93%
XBS – 7%

(back in 2016, it was 77% PS4, 23% XBO. They went from 23% market share, to 7% this gen)

In Spain, its like 89% to 11%.

In the UK:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ign-and-chris-dring-from-gbiz-why-does-xbox-series-x-and-s-continue-to-struggle-in-europe.787791/page-15#post-115349361

Some retailer are saying they sell 14 PS5 to 1 xbox currently.

Europe isnt buying Series consoles, at the rate it was the One.

Then we go into black friday/christmas, and all the PS5 sales here with nice price cuts.... its gonna be a slaughter come end of year, when you compaire the PS5 to XBS.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
-Adonis- said:

This. And for this month, I was on a french shop earlier, there was many Series S on the shelves. 

2023 in France:
PS5 – 93%
XBS – 7%

(back in 2016, it was 77% PS4, 23% XBO. They went from 23% market share, to 7% this gen)

In the UK:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ign-and-chris-dring-from-gbiz-why-does-xbox-series-x-and-s-continue-to-struggle-in-europe.787791/page-15#post-115349361

Then we go into black friday/christmas, and all the PS5 sales here with nice price cuts.... it’s gonna be a slaughter come end of year, when you compaire the PS5 to XBS.

There are plenty of people expecting Xbox to “win” BF in a lot of regions including US, UK and Mexico because Amazon rankings say otherwise, but I reckon they’ll get a reality check. 

kazuyamishima said:
JRPGfan said:

2023 in France:
PS5 – 93%
XBS – 7%

In the UK:

Then we go into black friday/christmas, and all the PS5 sales here with nice price cuts.... it’s gonna be a slaughter come end of year, when you compaire the PS5 to XBS.

There are plenty of people expecting Xbox to “win” BF in a lot of regions including US, UK and Mexico because Amazon rankings say otherwise, but I reckon they’ll get a reality check. 

They might in the US, mexico....  But the world is a big place, global market is bigger than just takeing the crown in the US.
So even if you pull off a slim "win" in say the USA, rest of the world, will weigh in, and push the scales heavily in the others favor.

Basically Xbox cant afford to not try, in other markets. That should be obvious by now.
Its time to put in the work.

JRPGfan said:
kazuyamishima said:

They might in the US, mexico....  But the world is a big place, global market is bigger than just takeing the crown in the US.
So even if you pull off a slim "win" in say the USA, rest of the world, will weigh in, and push the scales heavily in the others favor.

Basically Xbox cant afford to not try, in other markets. That should be obvious by now.

Very difficult considering that the PS5 is #1 at most stores if you check online, Walmart, BestBuy, GameStop, Amazon, etc.

I’ll be extremely shocked if Xbox wins November. 

kazuyamishima said:
JRPGfan said:

Very difficult considering that the PS5 is #1 at most stores if you check online, Walmart, BestBuy, GameStop, Amazon, etc.

Agree with you, but his point stands so even if Xbox manages to win BF on USA the rest of the world will make it still be over 2:1 for PS5

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:
JRPGfan said:

MS isnt trying in europe.
Its like they gave up.

There are is no maketing here (in denmark).
Their stategy of going with youtube/twitch streamers, and content creators on the internet, isnt working out.
Like you need it in shopping malls, on tv, on radio, ect. 

You just never see anything xbox related at all (which I assume is also true for alot of europeans).
Then if you walk into a shop that sells games and consoles, the space for the PS5 is like 4-5 times the size of the Xbox one.

JRPGfan said:
kazuyamishima said:

Its like they gave up.

Their stategy of going with youtube/twitch streamers, and content creators on the internet, isnt working out.

You just never see anything xbox related at all (which I assume is also true for alot of europeans).
Then if you walk into a shop that sells games and consoles, the space for the PS5 is like 4-5 times the size of the Xbox one.

Same here, I live in Sweden. There's practically no Xbox marketing to speak of, meanwhile; most major electronics stores and chains have huge PS5 signs plastered all over, even when they didn't have any stock. Personally, I don't see MS caring much about the Xbox brand any more, there's more focus on MS Game Studios, and getting people on various subscription plans. Their future strategy won't be about selling hardware for tiny profits (or even small losses at launch), but rather the ecosystem they always wanted to create. If you can sell and maintain huge subscription numbers across various platforms, the box itself is of no importance. They can't very well live off of North-America alone to sustain hardware sales.
It would solve many problems; less direct competition (if any), more stable, sustained profits, getting MS centrally off of their backs (they've been wanting to axe the unprofitable Xbox division for almost two decades now).

Mummelmann said:
JRPGfan said:

Its like they gave up.

Same here, I live in Sweden. There's practically no Xbox marketing to speak of, meanwhile; most major electronics stores and chains have huge PS5 signs plastered all over, even when they didn't have any stock. Personally, I don't see MS caring much about the Xbox brand any more, there's more focus on MS Game Studios, and getting people on various subscription plans. Their future strategy won't be about selling hardware for tiny profits (or even small losses at launch), but rather the ecosystem they always wanted to create. If you can sell and maintain huge subscription numbers across various platforms, the box itself is of no importance. They can't very well live off of North-America alone to sustain hardware sales.
It would solve many problems; less direct competition (if any), more stable, sustained profits, getting MS centrally off of their backs (they've been wanting to axe the unprofitable Xbox division for almost two decades now).

I went down to a super market early in the day today (they close early on sundays), its in a small mall (if you can even call it that), and I saw 2 video clip ads for super mario bros wonder (on my route walking to the supermarket), and a logo/poster thingy for playstation on a wall.  It struck me, I cant remember the last time I saw anything xbox related.

Unlike you, I'm not sure xbox is dropping hardware to focus on subscriptions/3rd party. They have hardware now, why wouldn't they try selling it?

I just expect them to "fight" for market share.
Like where are all the ads? thats my question.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 26 November 2023

Although I am a long time PlayStation gamer, I nevertheless appreciate the role that Microsoft plays in the industry. They have done a lot to advance online gaming in particular.
So it is sad to see that they seem to be giving up on many markets when it comes to their hardware sales. I remember the days when they tried very hard to compete in Japan with some great JRPG exclusives.
The more time passes, the more reason I tend to concur with those that say Microsoft is headed toward exclusively being a publisher. I suppose their DNA and strength do lie in the software side of things. For what it's worth I hope they stay on as a console provider. Time will tell but it looks as though this will be Microsoft's worst performance since the OG X-Box.

DonFerrari said:
kazuyamishima said:

Agree with you, but his point stands so even if Xbox manages to win BF on USA the rest of the world will make it still be over 2:1 for PS5

The PS5 did about 1.38m units in November 2022 with lower stock and a $560 GOW:R bundle compared to this year. This year, the bundles are $499 and started on November 8th, all retailers seem to have a lot of stock of them. 
Outside the US, it’s very possible the PS5 will outsell Xbox series X 3 to 1 or more in various countries/regions.

As an example, the PS5 went sold out at most retailers in Australia on Saturday after Black Friday. 

JRPGfan said:
kazuyamishima said:

Its like they gave up.

Marketing is a really good tool but I don’t think anything would had chance too much if MS did any more advertising or Gamepass or their systems.

A lot of users are not really into the Xbox ecosystem.