Phantasy Star IV 3 3.75%

Mega Man X 10 12.50%

Secret of Mana 10 12.50%

Starfox 1 1.25%

Other (please specify) 7 8.75%

Total:80

The 1993 Game of the Year is Doom.
The runner up is Mega Man X
The master thread for all of these contests can be found here.

Please comment on what you believe to be the Game of the Year for 1993.  You might even want to discuss/argue with other posters first before you vote.  Or maybe you just want to argue with yourself first?  Whatever.  Please vote for Game of the Year for 1993 and post why.  Without further ado, here is the list of games.

Mortal Kombat II (Arcade)
Mortal Kombat continues its reign of terror in the arcades.  MKII would end up being even more commercially successful than the first game.  The arcade version sold over 27,000 cabinets.  The console versions of MKII shipped over 2.5 million units at launch making it the most successful launch of a video game up to that point in time.

Doom (PC)
The father of first-person shooters.  In fact FPS games were originally called “Doom clones”.  Developer id Software initially used a shareware model to market the game, allowing people to play the first third of Doom for free.  It is estimated that 10-20 million people played Doom within 24 months of its launch.  Doom was ported to a large variety of other systems including SNES, 32X, Playstation and Saturn.

Myst (Mac)
Even though Doom was popularizing the FPS genre, the game in the early/mid 90’s that was generating the most buzz among computer owners was Myst.  Myst was originally developed for the Mac but ported to the PC six months later and eventually ported to Playstation and Saturn.  Myst was considered the #1 killer app for the CD-Rom which was at that time being introduced onto computers (and a little later onto consoles as well).  Myst sold over 6 million copies on the PC alone, making it the best-selling PC game of all time until it was surpassed in 2002 by The Sims.

SimCity 2000 (Mac/PC)
This next entry in the SimCity franchise proved even more popular than the first selling over 4.3 million copies total.

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Gameboy)
Zelda makes it’s first entry onto handheld systems with Link’s Awakening.  It would go on to sell over 3.8 million copies.

Phantasy Star IV (Genesis/Mega Drive)
The final entry in the Phantasy Star series is considered by many to be the best.  (It definitely has a killer OST.)  The initial price for the game was almost $100 in the US.  Phantasy Star IV has repeatedly appeared on several “best games of all time” lists and is often at the top or near the top of “best Genesis games” lists.

Mega Man X (SNES)
Mega Man gets a makeover for the 16-bit era in Mega Man X.  It feels like Mega Man, but with improved graphics and some new gameplay elements like wall jump.  Mega Man X would sell over 1.1 million units on the SNES alone.

Secret of Mana (SNES)
Squaresoft releases this action, multiplayer RPG.  Secret of Mana is actually a sequel to the Gameboy Game, Final Fantasy Adventure (or Mystic Quest in Europe).  Secret of Mana would go on to sell over 1.8 million copies on the SNES.

Starfox (SNES)
Nintendo gives us a taste of what’s to come in the next generation in this 3D shooter with polygonal graphics.  Starfox also comes with some very catchy music.  The game would go on to sell over 4 million copies.

Other (please specify)
If you think another game deserves to be "Game of the Year" other than one of the 9 I listed above, then please vote “Other” and say your game in the comments.  If the "Other" category takes at least 2nd place and no other game gets at least 50% of the vote, then I will do a runoff vote including the most mentioned game(s) from the comments.

The winner of this vote will be decided Friday, Oct 6 at 11:59 EST.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 07 October 2023

Around the Network

Mana and Star IV is a tough call. I'll go with Star IV because Mana's magic leveling system is terrible.

Here is a list of other notable games from 1993.  There are quite a few good ones that I had to leave out of the top 9.

NBA Jam (Arcade)
Virtua Fighter (Arcade)
Ridge Racer (Arcade)
The 7th Guest (PC/CD-i)
Day of the Tentacle (Mac/PC)
Master of Orion (PC)
Return to Zork (Mac/PC)
Sam and Max Hit the Road (PC)
Star Wars: Rebel Assault (CD Rom platforms)
Kirby’s Adventure (NES)
Mega Man 6 (NES)
Aladdin (Genesis/SNES)
FIFA 94 (Genesis)
Gunstar Heroes (Genesis)
Jurassic Park (Many Platforms)
Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis)
Shining Force 2 (Genesis)
Romancing Saga 2 (SNES)

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 04 October 2023

Doom.
Not only did it help pioneer an entire genre, but thanks to its tight gameplay and badass sense of style, it's an absolute blast to play.
Few games have had such a powerful impact, and few remain so fun three decades later.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 October 2023

RANGER X! Not only is it to me a proto 2D Zone of the Enders. It has a lot of cool graphical tricks and mechanics. Sunlight helps you. For a Genesis game it has dynamic lighting in some levels. Others it has cool faux 3D effects. It's one of the best games on the system but often overlooked.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Day of the Tentacle, followed by Doom and Secret of Mana

Gunstar Heroes. Very few games gave me such an adrennalyn rush

I've been wanting to play the original Doom as well as Myst and Mega Man X, but I haven't gotten around to it. Of the ones I have played it has to be Link's Awakening.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

OK, this looks like the peak year for Point-and-click adventures, after that they slowly dried up until they were forgotten, until reawakened in more modern times. All the games like Collosal Cave Adventures, Mystery House, Zork and Zac McKracken in the end resulted in what was delivered that year. Peak also means, that this year contains some of the greatest adventure games of all times: Return to Zork, Day of the Tentacle, The 7th Guest, Sam&Max Hit the Road and Myst. If you like adventures, treat yourself with playing them. As an adventure fan myself, my most beloved games from this year are the mentioned Return to Zork and Day of the Tentacle.

SimCity 2000 is the refinement of the play principle of SimCity. As far as I can see it is the only major expansion of the original SimCity idea. It added elevation and water management. It also refined all the other systems. As far as I can see the series stagnated from here on out. Even Cities Skylines is from gameplay basically exactly like SimCity 2000 (obviously with more modern graphics).

Master of Orion further deepened the legendary studio Microprose. It is another 4X game like Civilization, but brought the principle to space. I didn't play it back in the day, I should give it a proper try one of these days. In any case I know it's impact on the genre.

And finally we come to Doom, the game that made the 1st person shooter popular. It is a refinement of Wolf3D the year before, much more fast paced and technologically advanced. Of the games here it has the most impact, as the genre exploded after the blueprint id software delivered with this game.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 04 October 2023

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

As Mega Man X is the best game ever made, it is obviously also the best game of 1993.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.