SimCity 2000 6 7.50%

Link's Awakening 11 13.75%

Phantasy Star IV 3 3.75%

Mega Man X 10 12.50%

Secret of Mana 10 12.50%

Starfox 1 1.25%

Other (please specify) 7 8.75%

Total:80

I voted for Doom. Just one of the most influential games ever made.

Around the Network

Link's Awakening for me, although it's the only Zelda I didn't pick up at launch due to the fact that I didn't own a Game Boy until 3 years later.

After that, probably Mega Man X.

There are so many good games from '93, it is hard to not feel bad for having to vote for just one. Especially when, at least for me, it comes down to really only dilemma from that year, Myst or Doom, given how much both games changed how people think of games. But ultimately, no matter how great Doom was, and better than Wolfenstein 3D that started FPS genre as we know it, I have to go with Myst, for it was THE game that changed adventure games and gave birth to very distinct first person puzzle adventure subgenre.

Other games that stood out from that year for me were Link's Awakening, Settlers, Syndicate, Master of Orion, Frontier: Elite II, Betrayal at Krondor and Star Wars: X-Wing. (and of course crapload of great P&C adventure games, '93 was full of them)

I’m inclined to agree with the majority here that Doom, SimCity and Link’s Awakening are the best of this bunch, with my vote for SimCity.

I’ve wanted to love those point & click games but I always get stuck somewhere and lose interest.

Theres like 6 correct answers for this one.

Around the Network

I voted Doom but it was a close call since Secret of Mana is one of my favorite RPGs and if I had to play one today I actually would choose to replay Secret of Mana but that mainly because a old RPG ages better then a FPS where there so many great more modern one that came afterward. In 1993 through I loved both games but doom would of gotten my vote by a small margin.

Honorable mention to ShadowCaster. It uses a modified Wolfenstein 3D engine but it slower pace then Wolfenstein and doom and relies more on puzzles and obstacles that you need to over come by shapeshifting into different creatures. It one of my favorite PC games growing up and I find most people I met never heard of it. I think I would classify it as a First person RPG.

Doom. Even though I don’t like FPS games, it is undoubtedly the most important game of the early 90s.

Pretty much the first time that PC gamers had a game the console people were envious of.

OneTime said:

Doom. Even though I don’t like FPS games, it is undoubtedly the most important game of the early 90s.

Pretty much the first time that PC gamers had a game the console people were envious of.

Definitely not the first time lol. And Doom came to SNES as well btw ;) (1995) And everything else.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 04 October 2023

Doom will be the most obvious choice and certainly justifiable as one of the most influential games ever, but I personally voted other for Day of the Tentacle. Just the better game and one of the all-time greats. The Remaster was fantastic as well! 

SvennoJ said:
OneTime said:

Definitely not the first time lol. And Doom came to SNES as well btw ;) (1995) And everything else.

DOOM runs on everything. And I mean everything!