Phantasy Star IV 3 3.75%

Mega Man X 10 12.50%

Secret of Mana 10 12.50%

Starfox 1 1.25%

Other (please specify) 7 8.75%

Total:80
Wman1996 said:

Aladdin on Genesis/Mega Drive.

Aladdin and The Lion King were great platformers, lot of fun.
I played them on PC, the DOS port came out in '94

It's available at Abandonware, still runs great in DOS box.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

I believe, back in the day, there was a big debate about which version of Aladdin was better.  Both versions sold really well, so I'd assume there is a significant fan base for each version.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Wman1996 said:

I believe, back in the day, there was a big debate about which version of Aladdin was better.  Both versions sold really well, so I'd assume there is a significant fan base for each version.

I don't think there were many people that had both a SNES and Genesis back in the day, you either owned one or the other (except for the cake eaters that owned the Neo Geo)  If you played one, you automatically thought your version of Aladdin was the better game and at the end of the day the Genesis might have been better but the SNES version was a great game as well.

That's tough.

I really want to say Link's Awakening because I have it up there with my favorite Zelda games along with Majora's Mask and OOT.

But it being on GameBoy having only 2 buttons was a bit awkward, and makes me want to say Secret of Mana was more objectively the better game.
It was my first Jrpg that got me into a genre that remains my favorite.

Honorable mention to Megaman X.

Last edited by Hiku - on 06 October 2023

I'm starting to appreciate these older games more and more for what the devs could do with the UI.

I'm struggling hard trying to play BG3. Initially we wanted to play it in split-screen together however I can barely read the UI elements from the couch while my wife can't make out the tiny text at all. Splitting the screen in half, not a chance lol. You can only scale the dialog font, the UI remains a mystery from the couch. The inventory page is so small I have no clue what's what. I keep dying because I can't make out the options in the crowded radial wheels. Our 65" TV is too small, got to move the couch to 4ft (from 12ft) to be able to play this game.

I guess I can try playing it with the PSVR2 headset... Or maybe better fire up the old 1080p projector again and play it on 92" screen from 10ft away. This is piss poor for 2023. The game looks amazing, the environment that is. I want to play it so bad, but can't read any of the instructions. By the time I'm halfway through deciphering a tutorial tip it already disappears again. Maybe I should try get a refund and play it on PC instead, at least I can move my head in to read the tiny text. /Disappointed.

Play it on PC, avoid the PS5 version. Now what can we play in split-screen nowadays :/ There goes our plan for winter game fun.

Around the Network
Vinther1991 said:
curl-6 said:

The Model 2 arcade board cost $15,000, it would be shameful if the games didn't look graphically ahead of a $200 console. The cost ratio is literally 75:1.

It was impressive for a home console game period, whether SNES or otherwise.

I realized I mixed up the years, Daytona USA was 1994, but Ridge Racer was 1993 and looked almost as good.
Star Fox was impressive for a SNES game or any game for a 1990 home console or computer, in 1993 the 3DO and Jaguar released and had games with more impressive 3D graphics from day one. But when I look at what pushed video game technology forward during that era (1972-1994) I would mainly look at the arcade.

Starfox hit the market before either the 3DO or the Jaguar released.

And yeah, the arcades where way ahead back then, but again it's not really an apples to apples comparison when you're comparing massive machines costing thousands of dollars to consoles costing a few hundred and a fraction the size. They really were two totally different worlds.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 October 2023

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Wman1996 said:

I wound up with both a Super NES and a Sega Genesis by the time the Aladdin games came out. My neighbor had the Genesis version of the game and one of my cousins had the Super NES version, so I got to play them both. The one I ultimately decided to get for myself was the Genesis version. I preferred having a sword and the superior background music and also the more cartoon-like look. The Genesis version was created by a small team as one of their first projects (actually I think it might've been their very first if I'm remembering the interview in the retro collection correctly), to which end it kinda has that attractive, wilder indie feel to it. The Super NES version was created by Capcom and feels like a more commercial experience to me.

It's worth adding that back in '93, the Genesis was considered the machine for teens and adults, the Super NES more for younger kids, and they were treated that way by the industry. To that end, while the Genesis version of the original Mortal Kombat allowed you to unlock the blood feature of the arcade version with a secret kode (with a K!), the Super NES version did not and was considered less cool as a result. It was in a similar vein that the Genesis version of Aladdin gives you a sword and has a cartoon-action focus, while the Super NES version had to be less violent for the young kids. Generally, here in the U.S. anyway, the Super NES was considered distinctly the less cool machine to own until 1994 for reasons like these.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 06 October 2023

Vinther1991 said:
curl-6 said:

The Model 2 arcade board cost $15,000, it would be shameful if the games didn't look graphically ahead of a $200 console. The cost ratio is literally 75:1.

It was impressive for a home console game period, whether SNES or otherwise.

I realized I mixed up the years, Daytona USA was 1994, but Ridge Racer was 1993 and looked almost as good.
Star Fox was impressive for a SNES game or any game for a 1990 home console or computer, in 1993 the 3DO and Jaguar released and had games with more impressive 3D graphics from day one. But when I look at what pushed video game technology forward during that era (1972-1994) I would mainly look at the arcade.

Hey speaking of Star Fox comparisons and the tech capabilities of the 3DO, did either of you ever get the chance to play Total Eclipse? It's a Star Fox-like space rail shooter, but vastly superior (graphically, musically, and...okay kinda tied in story quality, but ya can't win 'em all ()). Did you know it actually got released first on the 3DO just one year after Star Fox? That's what made it one of my favorite 3DO games. Definitely a recommended retro play if you have that system!

Last edited by Jaicee - on 06 October 2023

rapsuperstar31 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I don't think there were many people that had both a SNES and Genesis back in the day, you either owned one or the other (except for the cake eaters that owned the Neo Geo)  If you played one, you automatically thought your version of Aladdin was the better game and at the end of the day the Genesis might have been better but the SNES version was a great game as well.

I was lucky enough to have a SNES and genesis.  Aladdin was better on the genesis by a good margin, imo.  A shame seta went off the deep end with the CD, 32x and crazy priced saturn (with no games in the US).  The genesis was a great console, though SNES was better.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Voted Doom because of it's sheer influence but still think Sim City 2000 is the best city building sim ever made.

Hmm, pie.