By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 35, 2023 (Aug 21 - Aug 27)

yo33331 said:
Lostaccount said:

Yo I went through the hassle of creating an account as I can't connect to my old account and I'm mostly a lurker here. 

Are you trying to tell us that, in a year in which the second biggest movie (in terms of box office) is the Super Mario Bros movie, with a 2D mario which sells hardcore to both gamers and ultra casual, with a Switch custom Mario dropping early october, without any knowledge of a promotion for Christmas (for example buy A switch and Wonder and get Mario Kart or whatever Nintendo could pull off) you are doubting the Switch passing 4.5 Millions? 

The Nintendo Switch will be the hottest item this Christmas with Barbie dolls. Nintendo could even release a very early teaser for the sequel to the Mario movie to get people hyped again. 

I'd bet, with the Chinese buying japanese Switch, we could all be low balling the Switch hardcore. There is a perfect storm of selling power for this end of year and the only way the Switch doesn't surprise us all is if Mario lost its selling power which won't be the case IMO. 

Lastly, the Switch is old enough that kids that were born or let's say babies when it was released are starting to get one. These may have seen the Mario movie. 

I know I'm high on hopium but I really think 4.7 to 5 Millions is possible and I also think that a massive worldwide boost in newly acquired switch could postpone the release plan of the Switch 2. 

Let's meet in December to review the data =) 

Hey there is statements and facts for both of the sides lowball highball and realball if you want haha. Everyone can tell why and how the switch will reach 6M or will collapse and finish at 3M or finish somewhere in the middle. I am telling what I think because of it's age and the saturation point, and the way how the DS and other consoles selling well there and at one point out of nothing they just drop by a lot. Of course I can't say how and when will Switch end there. However I doubt if Switch will pass 2022 sales this year, and I think it will finish little over 4M and below 4.5M. Even if I am wrong it won't be by much. And even with this why is there so much noise about a prediction I am making ? I am sure that if every single user here makes a prediction, that at least half of those people will be argued how their prediction will be wrong. Well guess what, this is like gamble and you can't tell for sure what will turn out. Everyone in the beginning of the year didn't expected Switch to be so close to it's 2022 sales, so everyone should be wrong with this type of logic. And it is. So what ? Why quote only me and not everyone from the start of the year when they were telling sales considerably lower than 2019 for example ? This is to @curl-6  as well. and @curl-6 yes I have said many prediction before, and most of them have come true or very close to the exact number. And you may bring the famous 15M to 18M range prediction for 2022 here, well guess what Switch finished 19M so I was close enough, despite my prediction being obliged with the " if series and PS5 got full stock (which they don't in 2022). So I don't have prediction where I have been off. I have one that was disputable because I had condition on it, and even without the condition it finished close. And well the other ones were on the point. For example 2021 finishing not more than 25M, japan holidays prediction too, 2022 japan sales of switch which I was very close too. And this year one's where I gave range between 12 and 16M which is on track too. But even if some of my prediction finished wrong they would be off only by a small margin. Not enough to make a dispute for my prediction, and not everyone else when they make ones.

It's okay to miss your predictions, we all make mistakes, but the thing is you have an opportunity here to learn from your mistakes. Several of your previous misses were the result of pitching the Switch too low. If you took that into account, you could increase your future success rate by adjusting your Switch forecasts upwards.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

For a realist, you have a consistent pattern of lowballing the Switch. You underestimated it's Japanese sales for 2022, (by more than 300k actually by ShadowLink93's numbers) then early this year you underestimated it again by predicting that the baseline would fall to 30-40k during the middle of the year and end with 3-3.5m total, and now you're making another unrealistically low forecast of just 4m at its current pace and with a 2D Mario coming soon.

It seems as though you want the Switch to sell worse and base your predictions on what you want to happen.

You are overexaggerating. Why I was not lowballing (your words, not mine) the switch sales for 2021 for example ? When I said 25M and it finished 24M ? So I have highball it. Japanese sales according to this site are a little less than 4.7M. I said around 4.5M so guess what ? I was off only by about less than 200k. So such a small difference can't be called lowballing. It's normal for someone to not be able to predict a number with exact hundreds of units to the point. That's why most of the time I give ranges.

I haven't said 30k, more likely 50k. Which it happened in the first part of the year. After that switch boosted out of nowhere. And yes, I know about the zelda, however it was not only because of it. Many people here wondered on the threads from what the continued boost in switch sales is coming. So congrats to switch but no one expected to maintain at some times even higher level of sales than last year. So you can't blame me here.

Now I am not making unrealistically low forecast, and it's not just 4M. Stop putting only the low possible numbers I have written every time. I said little over 4M which including numbers like 4.2M and even 4.3M. Also I am not saying it is impossible to do unexpectedly good sales and reach even 5M cuz as we all saw everything is possible, doesn't matter which year you are in system's life. But I personally think that the bigger percentage of the way things are going to happen will be that the system will finish a little less than it's 2022 sales, at a little over 4M.

My prediction from earlier in the year also wasn't 3M but 3.5M. And you can't blame me here too, cuz most of the people here predicted the same (decline from it's 2022 of at least 1M or more) and with the first months of the switch sales this year, it was normal.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 05 September 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

curl-6 said:

It's okay to miss your predictions, we all make mistakes, but the thing is you have an opportunity here to learn from your mistakes. Several of your previous misses were the result of pitching the Switch too low. If you took that into account, you could increase your future success rate by adjusting your Switch forecasts upwards.

Please read my last post. As I already said, I had only 1 slight miss which was less than 200k for 2022 japan sales of switch, which even most of the people do bigger misses than that, and they don't get attacked for it.

The other thing that didn't happen and that I can recall as my mistake (however it is not a direct sales prediction but more of stock relating one, so logistics category maybe ?) was not with the famous prediction itself (15 to 18M for 2022) but with the thing that I was almost sure - that there will be enough stock for the other consoles ( as yes my logic is still this that there are sales that when one console isnt there customers will get the other. Of course not all but at least some percent of them will ) And you will ask me now why is switch doing well this year with ps5 and xbox in full stock ? Well because if they weren't at full stock Switch would be with even better sales than they are now. But even with my condition not met back then, the Switch finished relatively close to my prediction I gave (19M, so I don't know why you all jumped on me like I said number that the final difference will be like 10M not 1M).

Other than that, my other predictions were all correct. As for this year, we will talk again when the year finishes. When Switch doing well I admire it. If you remember I had post some weeks ago congratulating the system, for the out of nowhere boost in the middle of the year there (in japan). You were saying I lowball the switch about my other correct predictions too. But what happened ? I was right. You are giving the 2022 sales of switch more than 4.7M and you were wrong. So maybe you are pitching it too high ? You were giving the switch sales 2021 more than 25M when there were the discussions (coming holiday period of 2021) But again you say nothing for this. You were highballing it. You said it will sell better than 19M even more than 20M for 2021. Guess what you were wrong for this too. So you are pitching it too high. Almost all the time. Not me lowballing it.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

For a realist, you have a consistent pattern of lowballing the Switch. You underestimated it's Japanese sales for 2022, (by more than 300k actually by ShadowLink93's numbers) then early this year you underestimated it again by predicting that the baseline would fall to 30-40k during the middle of the year and end with 3-3.5m total, and now you're making another unrealistically low forecast of just 4m at its current pace and with a 2D Mario coming soon.

It seems as though you want the Switch to sell worse and base your predictions on what you want to happen.

You are overexaggerating. Why I was not lowballing (your words, not mine) the switch sales for 2021 for example ? When I said 25M and it finished 24M ? So I have highball it. Japanese sales according to this site are a little less than 4.7M. I said aroudn 4.5M so guess what ? I was off only by about less than 200k. So such a small difference can't be called lowballing. It's normal for someone to not be able to predict a number with exact hundreds of units to the point. That's why most of the time I give ranges.

I haven't said 30k, more likely 50k. Which it happened in the first part of the year. After that switch boosted out of nowhere. And yes, I know about the zelda, however it was not only because of it. Many people here wondered on the threads from what the continued boost in switch sales is coming. So congrats to switch but no one expected to maintain at some times even higher level of sales than last year. So you can't blame me here.

Now I am not making unrealistically low forecast, and it's not just 4M. Stop putting only the low possible numbers I have written every time. I said little over 4M which including numbers like 4.2M and even 4.3M. Also I am not saying it is impossible to do unexpectedly good sales and reach even 5M cuz as we all saw everything is possible, doesn't matter which year you are in system's life. But I personally think that the bigger percentage of the thing happening will be that they system will finish a little less than it's 2022 sales, at a little over 4M.

My prediction from earlier in the year also wasn't 3M but 3.5M. And you can't blame me here too, cuz most of the people here predicted the same (decline from it's 2022 of at least 1M or more) and with the first months of the switch sales this year, it was normal.

There's no need be so defensive; this isn't a personal attack on you, just a discussion on a video game forum. 

curl-6 said:

There's no need be so defensive; this isn't a personal attack on you, just a discussion on a video game forum. 

I even got offensive in my last part of the post. (see the edited post now)

But yes, you are right here. pardon me. I am just still affected of the 2021 summer debate where 10-20 people jumped on me for my then mad prediction (when the switch was on the way of making 25M that year, and I had 15 to 18M range prediction (with condition) and everyone jumped on the 15M number (which represented 10M difference (which I would never have in mind), and in the end I was way more closer (even without my condition met) than most of those people were for their predictions for 2022. Cuz I remember, there was predictions of reaching even 22-24M for the 2022 (so 5M off, and no one attacked those people, but mine was only 1M short) (again even without my condition met) and because I was the only one giving number more on the lower side, and everyone giving sky numbers reaching 24M, I was the bad one.

Around the Network

My month 1 of 2023 switch predictions was also about 3.5 million :x

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

But I personally think that the bigger percentage of the thing happening will be that they system will finish a little less than it's 2022 sales, at a little over 4M.

I'm confused here though. "A little over 4 million" would mean 4.0X or 4.1. Which is not at all the same as "a little less than 2022 sales" which were 4.8 million. Little less than last year would be like ~4.65 to 4.7-high. You can't be both a little over 4 and a little less than 4.8 million, that's an enormous range. Saying "a little" does not mean a 400k range and you are using it twice to mean an 800k range. That's a non-prediction.

Anyway, I think most of us can see at this point that Switch is most likely gonna be at 4.4 or 4.5 million this year. 4.3 million is worst case scenario and fairly unlikely - would require a weaker rest of the year compared to the popularity we've seen since Zelda came out, with Mario Wonder coming that doesn't seem likely though something like 4.39 could happen. 4.6 million is best case scenario and also fairly unlikely - would require an fairly big boost from Mario OLED and Wonder and require the holidays to be as big as last year.

Slownenberg said:

I'm confused here though. "A little over 4 million" would mean 4.0X or 4.1. Which is not at all the same as "a little less than 2022 sales" which were 4.8 million. Little less than last year would be like ~4.65 to 4.7-high. You can't be both a little over 4 and a little less than 4.8 million, that's an enormous range. Saying "a little" does not mean a 400k range and you are using it twice to mean an 800k range. That's a non-prediction.

Anyway, I think most of us can see at this point that Switch is most likely gonna be at 4.4 or 4.5 million this year. 4.3 million is worst case scenario and fairly unlikely - would require a weaker rest of the year compared to the popularity we've seen since Zelda came out, with Mario Wonder coming that doesn't seem likely though something like 4.39 could happen. 4.6 million is best case scenario and also fairly unlikely - would require an fairly big boost from Mario OLED and Wonder and require the holidays to be as big as last year.

Depends on what is your understanding of little less. Mine is around 200-300k.

But if you want exact ranges than fine. Between 4M and 4.5M. The high one will be little less than 2022. The lower one will be little more than 4M. If I give exact number I may be 100k or 200k off and then everyone will jump on me, like always, but not jump on anybody else, again like always. So I am thinking somewhere between 4M and possibly 4.3. But again even if it goes to 4.5M I won't be too wrong or so much far from the reality as you are making it look like (with this discussion) Now if you want more exact one, I already said it - little over 4M, which can be 4.2 or 4.3M which again won't be much less than 2022' 4.69M but a tiny less, evenmore with keeping in mind that we are one year later in the lifecycle for the system.

And also stop watching famitsu 4.8M number. We are on VGcharts. The number here for the 2022 sales is 4.69M. You can interpret little less as even 0.2k if you want. I interpret it as a portion/percentage of the whole number. And for number of 4.69M or 4M for me little less/little more is around 200-300k.

However I can say other thing. I am little bit conservative with Switch's sales so late in it's lifecycle (watching how many other platfroms dropping too quickly in around this time, that I don't want to make too high predictions for it ending up wrong.) Of course with ease I can say 5M, because as it is doing till this moment, and if it is continuing it's pace till end of the year (which in one normal sales pace it would mean nice holiday boost matching 2022 or even 2021 holidays numbers, then of course it can reach even 5M without a problem.) I just doubt it will happen so late in it's lifecycle. Because other than only PS2 no other console has done it (I mean continues high sales, for years late in the lifecycle). And since it's the 2nd console ever making good sales after it's peak period (for longer period too) It is still under question for me (and many other I suppose) how long will it continue, and what drop will it have going forward.

So I am not saying it is impossible or something. I am just saying I see it happening more in the way of finishing little more than 4M, than finishing let's say 5M (as it I would truly predict if those sales were in the year 2019 let's say - before switch's peak, but if it did the exact same numbers till this moment.)

Depends on what is your understanding of little less. Mine is around 200-300k.

But if you want exact ranges than fine. Between 4M and 4.5M. The high one will be little less than 2022. The lower one will be little more than 4M. If I give exact number I may be 100k or 200k off and then everyone will jump on me, like always, but not jump on anybody else, again like always. So I am thinking somewhere between 4M and possibly 4.3. But again even if it goes to 4.5M I won't be too wrong or so much far from the reality as you are making it look like (with this discussion) Now if you want more exact one, I already said it - little over 4M, which can be 4.2 or 4.3M which again won't be much less than 2022' 4.69M but a tiny less, evenmore with keeping in mind that we are one year later in the lifecycle for the system.

And also stop watching famitsu 4.8M number. We are on VGcharts. The number here for the 2022 sales is 4.69M. You can interpret little less as even 0.2k if you want. I interpret it as a portion/percentage of the whole number. And for number of 4.69M or 4M for me little less/little more is around 200-300k.

However I can say other thing. I am little bit conservative with Switch's sales so late in it's lifecycle (watching how many other platfroms dropping too quickly in around this time, that I don't want to make too high predictions for it ending up wrong.) Of course with ease I can say 5M, because as it is doing till this moment, and if it is continuing it's pace till end of the year (which in one normal sales pace it would mean nice holiday boost matching 2022 or even 2021 holidays numbers, then of course it can reach even 5M without a problem.) I just doubt it will happen so late in it's lifecycle. Because other than only PS2 no other console has done it (I mean continues high sales, for years late in the lifecycle). And since it's the 2nd console ever making good sales after it's peak period (for longer period too) It is still under question for me (and many other I suppose) how long will it continue, and what drop will it have going forward.

So I am not saying it is impossible or something. I am just saying I see it happening more in the way of finishing little more than 4M, than finishing let's say 5M (as it I would truly predict if those sales were in the year 2019 let's say - before switch's peak, but if it did the exact same numbers till this moment.)

Sorry for the double posting. Please some moderator to delete one of my duplicated posts.