By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Portal (Remote Play device) announced for $199, coming November 15th

Steam Deck for me is meh. I don't game on the go and when I PC game I'm looking for far more power than what the Deck offers.

Around the Network

WiiU Gamepad moment 2.0

I mean the practical utility of it is simply to limited to consider this product as a serious contender for anything. It's just another PS5 peripheral for those that may feel lazy in their bed to open the console and play in their living room or play space ... And toilet use I guess.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

The name is cool at least.

But yeah, with all the limitations it has, $200 is a lot just to play your PS5 on a smaller screen in the same house. That's as much as a Switch Lite which is its own fully functional handheld.

Much like Wii U, it feels like a solution in search of a problem.

ArchangelMadzz said:

No Bluetooth on this device so you have to use specific playstation link compatible headphones has to be one of the most anti-consumer choices I have seen in a LONG time.

And I believe said headphones are gonna be the same price as the portal... 

One of the main use cases for this thing is playing in the living room whilst someone else is using the TV, so headphones are a must. Not to mention that if you are in a setting where the portal speakers can be used, the audio quality will prob be very mediocre.

Ultimately Sony are trying to sell the portal + headphones for 400 - brutal. 

Biggerboat1 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

No Bluetooth on this device so you have to use specific playstation link compatible headphones has to be one of the most anti-consumer choices I have seen in a LONG time.

One of the main use cases for this thing is playing in the living room whilst someone else is using the TV, so headphones are a must. Not to mention that if you are in a setting where the portal speakers can be used, the audio quality will prob be very mediocre.

At least it has a headphone jack:

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-portal-hands-on-with-sonys-new-remote-play-handheld

Around the Network

IT's funny, I simultaneously think this might be the dumbest thing Sony has ever done (by copying Nintendo's second biggest failure; I mean, they copy Nintendo all the time and Nintendo almost always does better, so that doesn't bode well for this)...

...and I'm also incredibly excited for it. The Portal might be a huge flop but it sounds like it's EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a remote play peripheral. The way my house is set up I am constantly moving my PS5 between 4 different TVs and being able to just leave it in one place and use the Portal is perfect. Plus I can take it to other places so as long as I have Wifi I won't have to take the Ps5 with me places. I love the look of the screen, I love the fact it's got the Ps5 controller handles. I love pretty much everything about it EXCEPT the reality that the portal's gonna flop hard.

It looks like great tech that will do poorly. Which is a shame. It'll fail but I'm looking forward to it because it's exactly what I want.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Conina said:
Biggerboat1 said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-portal-hands-on-with-sonys-new-remote-play-handheld

Considering how cheap a bluetooth chip is this isn't good enough, this can only be seen as a short sighted decision to increase sales in other departments.

We already live in a world long after Apple and other phone manufacturers pretty much ensured most of the world uses bluetooth headphones. And even if you've bought a good pair like Sony's WH series, a lot of the audio quality enhancement features only work in wireless mode and sound noticeable worse using a headphone cable.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

curl-6 said:

The name is cool at least.

But yeah, with all the limitations it has, $200 is a lot just to play your PS5 on a smaller screen in the same house. That's as much as a Switch Lite which is its own fully functional handheld.

Much like Wii U, it feels like a solution in search of a problem.

It’s odd that a decade after the failure of Wii U, we have Sony making an identical device.

At least it’s an optional accessory though.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

On the Bluetooth bit, both Microsoft and Sony don't allow you to use Bluetooth with the Series S/X/PS5; at the very least you need a Bluetooth adapter. Supposedly because the latency in the standard Bluetooth protocol doesn't make for a great experience. 

I know that it's a big inconvenience and it's a portable, but it's kind of how things are. 

I'd be curious if you could plug an audio device into the USB C port. 

ArchangelMadzz said:
Conina said:

Considering how cheap a bluetooth chip is this isn't good enough, this can only be seen as a short sighted decision to increase sales in other departments.

We already live in a world long after Apple and other phone manufacturers pretty much ensured most of the world uses bluetooth headphones. And even if you've bought a good pair like Sony's WH series, a lot of the audio quality enhancement features only work in wireless mode and sound noticeable worse using a headphone cable.

PS3, PS4, PS5 don't support BT for headsets, you need to buy a dongle to use their designated headsets (or plug one on jack of the controller), they say it is because of latency and interment connection (like when you have the phone on your pocket and the audio is failing from time to time).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."