By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Portal (Remote Play device) announced for $199, coming November 15th

I guess people would be more open to this than they were something like the psp go, But I still don't see this doing well

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
Chrkeller said:

Feels like it should have internal memory to download a few ps4 games to play when traveling.  I don't trust wifi to stream ps5 games.

It couldn't actually run them though, it's a tablet, not a console.

A portable PS4 would be way more expensive (and way more appealing).

Agreed.  More expensive and more appealing.  I just don't get the point of this device.  If I'm at home I'm playing on the TV in surround.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

ArchangelMadzz said:
DonFerrari said:

PS3, PS4, PS5 don't support BT for headsets, you need to buy a dongle to use their designated headsets (or plug one on jack of the controller), they say it is because of latency and interment connection (like when you have the phone on your pocket and the audio is failing from time to time).

Yeah whatever their reasons are they're huge companies that want to sell their headphones and their partners headphones. There's plenty of low latency bluetooth headphones. Those consoles already have bluetooth chips too as it's what their controllers use.

As well as most gamers won't even notice any bluetooth delay, these same gamers that somehow can't tell between 1080 and 4k. 

If they allow it and put a warning that there can be latency or connection issues that's one thing, to cut it out all-together is just a corporate anti consumer move.

I totally agree that Sony should allow you to use your cheap bluetooth phone and warn of possible poor performance (there is even dongles to allow you to do this anyway). 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chrkeller said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

It couldn't actually run them though, it's a tablet, not a console.

A portable PS4 would be way more expensive (and way more appealing).

Agreed.  More expensive and more appealing.  I just don't get the point of this device.  If I'm at home I'm playing on the TV in surround.

It's for people like me who have a family who shares the TV; so I can play on the PS5 while my wife watches Netflix.

the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

It's for people like me who have a family who shares the TV; so I can play on the PS5 while my wife watches Netflix.

Fair enough.  I could see that 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

That was the first selling point of Wii U. The very first thing they showed in E3 2011. I think this is such a niche need that this thing will be deemed a failure within a year. Switch for most fills that need and better. If a lot of people in that house are using Wifi. Expect some serious lag.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I wish the PS Portal was actually a handheld console instead of a Remote Play device. It would've been cool if Sony went back in to the handheld gaming market.

Otter said:
Runa216 said:

IT's funny, I simultaneously think this might be the dumbest thing Sony has ever done (by copying Nintendo's second biggest failure; I mean, they copy Nintendo all the time and Nintendo almost always does better, so that doesn't bode well for this)...

...and I'm also incredibly excited for it. The Portal might be a huge flop but it sounds like it's EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a remote play peripheral. The way my house is set up I am constantly moving my PS5 between 4 different TVs and being able to just leave it in one place and use the Portal is perfect. Plus I can take it to other places so as long as I have Wifi I won't have to take the Ps5 with me places. I love the look of the screen, I love the fact it's got the Ps5 controller handles. I love pretty much everything about it EXCEPT the reality that the portal's gonna flop hard.

It looks like great tech that will do poorly. Which is a shame. It'll fail but I'm looking forward to it because it's exactly what I want.

For an accessory, what do you consider a flop? How many units has the elite Playstation or Xbox controller managed to sell? 

We're not gonna get sales figure, but it's easy to tell if an accessory is a flop. If it flops, we're going to see the price slashed at retailers very quickly, and the device discontinued. Similar to the 3D display they made for the Playstation the Udraw tablet, and a lot of the music peripherals that arrived too late to ride the guitar hero wave. 

the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

Thats fair, but why not invest in another TV? You could probably get used ones for cheaper than 200 bucks.

KLXVER said:
the-pi-guy said:

Thats fair, but why not invest in another TV? You could probably get used ones for cheaper than 200 bucks.

One might not have a good place to put another TV.

We actually do have a second TV, but the one TV is a lot nicer and is in our main room, so my wife prefers watching Netflix on there. And I don't want to move my PS5 to a cheaper TV.

For me personally, my wife and I don't have a huge amount of time together, but we don't always like watching the same things. So I got one of those things that I could attach my phone to a dualsense, but that's kind of suboptimal. 

I'm not saying a lot of people are going to get this, or that even I'm going to get it. I'm just saying it fits my extremely niche use case.