By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Portal (Remote Play device) announced for $199, coming November 15th

the-pi-guy said:
Signalstar said:

The price of the Pulse Explore Ear Buds really ticks me off. For the same price as those buds I could buy a Switch Lite.

Why are the buds more expensive than the headphones? Will they keep selling the Pulse Headset (which I own) for $99?

I mean the price doesn't mean that much. Presumably these are good quality headphones/earbuds.

The headphone company that SIE just bought, seems to sell earbuds ranging from $900 to $2500, and headphones up to $4500.

$200 puts them in and around the premium earbud offerings from Samsung/Google/Sony etc. (which regularly go on sale for that price point, and lower).

Those who are willing to part with that much money for earbuds have likely already done so for their daily drivers. It's crazy that they'll need to pony up AGAIN, for a premium set of earbuds. As mentioned already, pure anti-consumer.

Not sure I'm interpretting your comment correctly but it seems like you're playing down the price of these buds. For a lot of people (I'd hazard a large majority), $200 is a lot of money to spend on something they likely already own, but that Sony have chosen to lock out of their proprietary ecosystem. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Cool as it would be to see Sony re-enter the handheld market properly, it would be almost impossible for them to do so successfully.

They already couldn't manage adequate support for the PS4 and Vita simultaneously; supporting both the PS5 and a handheld close to the PS4 at once would be even more difficult, and likely lead to severe software droughts for both platforms.

If they could somehow make a handheld that could play PS4 games natively I think they could really make a splash. Day 1 you could play one of the best libraries around.

Not sure if that'd be feasible from a technical point of view mind... 

Mr.Playstation said:

Can count on one hand the number of times I've used my PS Vita for remote play. This isn't for me.

I think I can't, but I probably could try the number of times I was really pleased with the experience when outside of home kkkkk

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Biggerboat1 said:

$200 puts them in and around the premium earbud offerings from Samsung/Google/Sony etc. (which regularly go on sale for that price point, and lower).

Those who are willing to part with that much money for earbuds have likely already done so for their daily drivers. It's crazy that they'll need to pony up AGAIN, for a premium set of earbuds. As mentioned already, pure anti-consumer.

Not sure I'm interpretting your comment correctly but it seems like you're playing down the price of these buds. For a lot of people (I'd hazard a large majority), $200 is a lot of money to spend on something they likely already own, but that Sony have chosen to lock out of their proprietary ecosystem. 

I'm downplaying the price, because you don't have to buy these. The PlayStation Portal for example has a headphone jack. 

Like I said in an earlier comment, Sony and Microsoft already locked out Bluetooth from their consoles. If someone has a headset they're using with their console, it's not a direct Bluetooth connection. I'm not saying that's fair, but it's what the options are.

These also seem to be high end/premium earbuds. They seem to be using the same kind of technology as the $700 Audeze ones.

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 26 August 2023

SvennoJ said:

I'm not into handheld gaming at all, but if devs are allowed to use it as a secondary screen, GT7 HUD in your hands instead of on the tv, I could be persuaded. (Well not with GT7 as I rather play that in VR). However it has no touch screen capability? So not even useful for inventory management... (If it was possible to act as a second screen)

Anyway, I miss the WiiU gamepad, this doesn't look like it will offer anything like it.

People seem to be misinformed about the device already.

It does have touch screen capability. The touch screen is used to simulate the function of the PS4/PS5 touchpad in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

The price of the Pulse Explore Ear Buds really ticks me off. For the same price as those buds I could buy a Switch Lite.

Why are the buds more expensive than the headphones? Will they keep selling the Pulse Headset (which I own) for $99?

the earbuds I recently got cost me like 400 bucks CAD (When I say it like that it sounds terrible, but I got them on a monthly payment plan so it wasn't all bad). 

265 (which is what I expect these to be given the 200 USD price and the fact that the Dualsense Edge is 200 USD and 264.99 CAD) isn't terrible. And for a branded item it makes perfect sense to me. 

Not gonna buy them but it seems like a reasonable price. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Signalstar said:

the earbuds I recently got cost me like 400 bucks CAD (When I say it like that it sounds terrible, but I got them on a monthly payment plan so it wasn't all bad). 

265 (which is what I expect these to be given the 200 USD price and the fact that the Dualsense Edge is 200 USD and 264.99 CAD) isn't terrible. And for a branded item it makes perfect sense to me. 

Not gonna buy them but it seems like a reasonable price. 

Seems expensive, but is on similar brackets to similar products so as you said it can be considered reasonable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Biggerboat1 said:
curl-6 said:

Cool as it would be to see Sony re-enter the handheld market properly, it would be almost impossible for them to do so successfully.

They already couldn't manage adequate support for the PS4 and Vita simultaneously; supporting both the PS5 and a handheld close to the PS4 at once would be even more difficult, and likely lead to severe software droughts for both platforms.

If they could somehow make a handheld that could play PS4 games natively I think they could really make a splash. Day 1 you could play one of the best libraries around.

By the time that's viable with decent battery life, a convenient form factor, and a reasonable price point, the PS4's library will be old hat. I don't think many people would buy a new system just to play old games, especially when there are other competing options like Switch 2 and Steam Deck that play new stuff.

the-pi-guy said:
Biggerboat1 said:

I'm downplaying the price, because you don't have to buy these. The PlayStation Portal for example has a headphone jack. 

Like I said in an earlier comment, Sony and Microsoft already locked out Bluetooth from their consoles. If someone has a headset they're using with their console, it's not a direct Bluetooth connection. I'm not saying that's fair, but it's what the options are.

These also seem to be high end/earbuds. They seem to be using the same kind of technology as the $700 Audeze ones.

It's true that you can use wired, though that's a pretty hard pill to swallow for a 2023 mobile device...

Earbuds are more important on something that's being marketed as a 2nd screen for obvious reasons, and being forced into old tech or earbuds that cost the same as the device it's supporting is nuts.

There was an outcry for Bluetooth connectivity for headphones on the switch for a reason.

And I don't buy the 'Sony is including hi-end tech in the earbuds' as justification. They're using an 8" 1080p, 60hz LCD screen (hardly cutting edge), which means they're happy to make big compromises to the visual experience, so why the insistence on this fancy lossless, latency-free audio?

Not to mention the on-board audio on this thing will likely be mediocre (due to the form-factor). Their dedication to 'techinal excellence' seems to be curiously selective...

It's all about the mula. 

curl-6 said:
Biggerboat1 said:

By the time that's viable with decent battery life, a convenient form factor, and a reasonable price point, the PS4's library will be old hat. I don't think many people would buy a new system just to play old games, especially when there are other competing options like Switch 2 and Steam Deck that play new stuff.

Isn't switch 2 reportedly around the power of ps4? And that's rumoured to be using tech that's already 2-3 years old. I'm not talking about emulation which would obvs require way more power. 

Again, there may be technical reasons why a mobile chipset couldn't play ps4 games natively, but I don't think power is one of them. 

Also, I think we're entering an era of many games being scalable enough to fit on modern handhelds, so Sony and devs wouldn't have to assign tonnes of resource to a new ps portable (arguably the main reason for their exit from the market), it'd simply just be another platform to play the latest releases (as well as a huge back-catalogue). 

I'm not saying this is likely to happen by the way, but it'd be cool. Essentially a PS-Deck.