By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Portal (Remote Play device) announced for $199, coming November 15th

the-pi-guy said:

On the Bluetooth bit, both Microsoft and Sony don't allow you to use Bluetooth with the Series S/X/PS5; at the very least you need a Bluetooth adapter. Supposedly because the latency in the standard Bluetooth protocol doesn't make for a great experience. 

I know that it's a big inconvenience and it's a portable, but it's kind of how things are. 

I'd be curious if you could plug an audio device into the USB C port. 

Would be funny to see someone plugging the dongle on the USB C port =p... because depending on how far from the console you are connecting your hedset to the console won't be possible.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

This feels like the result of Sony wanting a slice of the Switch's pie, but realizing that they can't support a dedicated handheld in addition to the PS5, resulting in this weird and compromised semi-handheld.

It has that in common with the Wii U as well, in that both feel like the folks behind it really wanted to do one thing, but realized it wasn't viable and so settled for a halfway house with limited use cases.

I think of lot of these WiiU comparisons are pretty strange considering that controller was the dedicated input for the WiiU whereas this is clearly an accessory for those want to game at home (or via wifi) at times when they can't use their TV. 

The issue is clearly the lack of Cloud functionality. Whether that changes in the future or not remains to be seen, but this would've been better served released when it could connect with Sony's cloud service from day 1. 

Until then, the device is incredibly niche. I think there's nothing wrong with a remote play dedicated device but I do believe that it being a remote play only device is not a strong sell. 

If it can eventually use the cloud, and if it could somehow function as a 2nd controller directly without the remote play aspect, then I think the Portal would be a much better device, and serve as a great accessory.

If I could cloud stream certain games from anywhere, that would make me very interested in the Portal. But right now, I'm not sure I see the need for it. 

I look forward to impressions once it's launched.

Runa216 said:

IT's funny, I simultaneously think this might be the dumbest thing Sony has ever done (by copying Nintendo's second biggest failure; I mean, they copy Nintendo all the time and Nintendo almost always does better, so that doesn't bode well for this)...

...and I'm also incredibly excited for it. The Portal might be a huge flop but it sounds like it's EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a remote play peripheral. The way my house is set up I am constantly moving my PS5 between 4 different TVs and being able to just leave it in one place and use the Portal is perfect. Plus I can take it to other places so as long as I have Wifi I won't have to take the Ps5 with me places. I love the look of the screen, I love the fact it's got the Ps5 controller handles. I love pretty much everything about it EXCEPT the reality that the portal's gonna flop hard.

It looks like great tech that will do poorly. Which is a shame. It'll fail but I'm looking forward to it because it's exactly what I want.

For an accessory, what do you consider a flop? How many units has the elite Playstation or Xbox controller managed to sell? 

the-pi-guy said:

On the Bluetooth bit, both Microsoft and Sony don't allow you to use Bluetooth with the Series S/X/PS5; at the very least you need a Bluetooth adapter. Supposedly because the latency in the standard Bluetooth protocol doesn't make for a great experience. 

I know that it's a big inconvenience and it's a portable, but it's kind of how things are. 

I'd be curious if you could plug an audio device into the USB C port. 

There are codecs like atpx that minimise latency over Bluetooth, regardless though they should let the consumer decide.

Part with 200 bucks for the optimal experience or spend nothing and use your already owned earbuds with a little bit of lag. I've used earbuds with my switch and it's honestly fine...

Around the Network
VAMatt said:

Without the ability to stream from the cloud, this seems like it's going to be a very niche device. The biggest benefit I see is the ability to play games while taking a dump.

I guess you can play in your bedroom or living room without buying an additional ps5. But, you still have to own at least one PS5 console, and you have to pay another $200 for this thing.

Anyway, it's hard to see this working out for me. Maybe it's good for crowded households where there's competition for use of the TV where the PS5 is hooked up.

Think about it for a second… It connects to your PS5. The PS5 receives the stream, then… it would stream that to the PS Portal. A stream of a stream… 😖

As for its capabilities, you can use Remote Play from anywhere in the world while your PS5 sits at your home, provided you have access to a decent WiFi connection. So, no. It’s not just for when one takes a dump.

Feels like it should have internal memory to download a few ps4 games to play when traveling.  I don't trust wifi to stream ps5 games.

Chrkeller said:

Feels like it should have internal memory to download a few ps4 games to play when traveling.  I don't trust wifi to stream ps5 games.

It couldn't actually run them though, it's a tablet, not a console.

A portable PS4 would be way more expensive (and way more appealing).

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

twintail said:

I think of lot of these WiiU comparisons are pretty strange considering that controller was the dedicated input for the WiiU whereas this is clearly an accessory for those want to game at home (or via wifi) at times when they can't use their TV. 

The issue is clearly the lack of Cloud functionality. Whether that changes in the future or not remains to be seen, but this would've been better served released when it could connect with Sony's cloud service from day 1. 

Until then, the device is incredibly niche. I think there's nothing wrong with a remote play dedicated device but I do believe that it being a remote play only device is not a strong sell. 

If it can eventually use the cloud, and if it could somehow function as a 2nd controller directly without the remote play aspect, then I think the Portal would be a much better device, and serve as a great accessory.

If I could cloud stream certain games from anywhere, that would make me very interested in the Portal. But right now, I'm not sure I see the need for it. 

I look forward to impressions once it's launched.

For me this is much more like the PSTV accessorie or the remote play on PSP and PSVita that you needed the console streaming the data to the portable. The thing that could really make it more interesting for more people is allowing it to use the streaming sub without a PS5, perhaps they will implement that with FW update as I don't see any reason why this isn't feasible now.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Considering how cheap a bluetooth chip is this isn't good enough, this can only be seen as a short sighted decision to increase sales in other departments.

We already live in a world long after Apple and other phone manufacturers pretty much ensured most of the world uses bluetooth headphones. And even if you've bought a good pair like Sony's WH series, a lot of the audio quality enhancement features only work in wireless mode and sound noticeable worse using a headphone cable.

PS3, PS4, PS5 don't support BT for headsets, you need to buy a dongle to use their designated headsets (or plug one on jack of the controller), they say it is because of latency and interment connection (like when you have the phone on your pocket and the audio is failing from time to time).

Yeah whatever their reasons are they're huge companies that want to sell their headphones and their partners headphones. There's plenty of low latency bluetooth headphones. Those consoles already have bluetooth chips too as it's what their controllers use.

As well as most gamers won't even notice any bluetooth delay, these same gamers that somehow can't tell between 1080 and 4k. 

If they allow it and put a warning that there can be latency or connection issues that's one thing, to cut it out all-together is just a corporate anti consumer move.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'