By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple Finally Reveals Long-Awaited AR Headset, Vision Pro, Priced At $3,500

The Apple Vision Pro also supports gaming, of courses, and there will more than 100 titles available at launch. Check out the image below to see what NBA 2K looks like on Vision Pro.

NBA 2K on Vision Pro

At work, users can wear the headset and run a number of apps to be a multi-tasking machine while staying in touch with people in the real world, apparently. For entertainment apps, Disney CEO Bob Iger appeared on stage to confirm that Disney Plus and other apps will be available. The company also released a sizzle reel of potential experiences, like using the Vision Pro headset to virtually attend sports matches.

In terms of battery life, Apple said it can be used all day when it's plugged in (of course) and up to 2 hours with an external battery that users can put in their pocket. The unit runs on a brand-new chip and uses an operating system built specifically for AR/VR. People with vision correction needs can use Zeiss Optical Inserts that are sold separately.

Source

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Around the Network

It may not be worth it in its current form, but I'm glad this product exists to keep moving the technology forward. Some day it'll be cheap, convenient, and useful enough for mass adoption (probably closer to glasses than goggles by that point).

They didn't show a single VR game. Whatever games will be playable, they will be playable in 2D.

Apple is too detached from gaming, making a game for the good old console & PC is risky enough these days, as a result, few studios will take a gamble on making a VR game, and even fewer established big studio has stepped in with major plans to invest in VR, not even Sony's big guns seem interested. I doubt Apple will start building their own studios just to support this machine. 

As it stands, the movie watching experience seems to be the most impressive demo they have shown. 100 feet screen real estate while watching a movie? Massive. I would love to try it. 

The operating system is bare bones, but it's an extremely polished skeleton to build on nonetheless. I am sure demos will rave about the experience. However ....

Saleswise, the market for this product is small. I suppose for a 3.5k, they'll make decent profits if the userbase ends up being as large as the MacBook Pro userbase (for comparison's sake, HoloLense retails for the same price, although, it never looked as neat of a product as VisionPro is).

I am personally dreading the hot weather already and I can't see myself wearing something like this until it's winter, so unless ice age blesses this cursed earth again, I am not buying a headset that I can only use in the winter.

To me, the star of the event was the 15 inch MacBook Air, finally a bigger Air, and it will be the product people will buy in droves next week lol

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 06 June 2023

LurkerJ said:

They didn't show a single VR game. Whatever games will be playable, they will be playable in 2D.

Apple is too detached from gaming, making a game for the good old console & PC is risky enough these days, as a result, few studios will take a gamble on making a VR game, and even fewer established big studio has stepped in with major plans to invest in VR, not even Sony's big guns seem interested. I doubt Apple will start building their own studios just to support this machine. 

As it stands, the movie watching experience seems to be the most impressive demo they have shown. 100 feet screen real estate while watching a movie? Massive. I would love to try it. 

The operating system is bare bones, but it's an extremely polished skeleton to build on nonetheless. I am sure demos will rave about the experience. However ....

Saleswise, the market for this product is small. I suppose for a 3.5k, they'll make decent profits if the userbase ends up being as large as the MacBook Pro userbase (for comparison's sake, HoloLense retails for the same price, although, it never looked as neat of a product as VisionPro is).

I am personally dreading the hot weather already and I can't see myself wearing something like this until it's winter, so unless ice age blesses this cursed earth again, I am not buying a headset that I can only use in the winter.

To me, the star of the event was the 15 inch MacBook Air, finally a bigger Air, and it will be the product people will buy in droves next week lol

It's AR, it will never, ever be a gaming device. 

Random_Matt said:
LurkerJ said:

Except it literally can do VR type experiences and it can shut off the "AR" style features to immerse you into a different environment completely. 

Apple doesn't even call it an AR device. It's "spatial computing".

The problem with VR gaming on it likely has more to do with it having twin 4K displays ... the amount of pixels a game would have to push to fill 8K worth of pixels would cripple a massive 4080, let alone a M2 processor (which is a great chip, but it's more for laptop computers and things like that).  

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
LurkerJ said:

Sounds like famous last words to me. I think if done cleverly AR can spawn interesting cool new games. I have no indication though Apple intends to do so. But AR in itself could. Devs dipped their toes into AR for gaming from time to time, the most well-known AR game so far is Pokemon Go, which arguably is very successful. Obviously the key AR feature here is not merging graphics with reality (although they tried), but merging gameplay with reality, in form of geolocations. A device like this headset could maybe give merging graphics a push, we will see.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

$3,500, lol.

I think I'd rather pay my rent for 5 months.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Wayyy to expensive. And then only 2 hours of battery life...

From technical side, this is really impressive. They packed M2 chip and R1 coprocessor in it. That's an equivalent of having a good laptop or a small PC strapped to your face. I'm pretty sure some devs will make really good use of this hardware, and knowing Apple it will be more or less, smooth sailing. Still, it looks too bulky and/or heavy and with up to 2h of battery life, I don't know what I would use it for, especially for this price. I don't think it's intended for an average Joe anyway. But, if it doesn't completely flop there's a good chance that it will lay a good foundation for future, more reachable/affordable hardware. We'll see.

Just more shitty apple hardware people with way too much money will buy anyway and spend hours on podcats trying to justify its shitty price as cults do. Anyway.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!