By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This trend needs to end

OdinHades said:

I agree, but the solution is simple: Don't buy AAA games. Focus on Indie games and Nintendo.

That's what I'm doing and I'm enjoying gaming quite a bit these days. Plus I saved myself 500 bucks because I don't need a PlayStation in this gen. Switch and Steam Deck are perfectly fine to play all the games that are actually worth my time.

AAA is dead, just deal with that and you can enjoy gaming.

Yup, indie and Nintendo and the occasional polished game. When Yoshi-P says there will be no day-zero patch for FF16 because eliminating bugs was part of the dev prior to releasing the game, they've definitely got my ears. 

Around the Network

I will never understand why people pre order games before seeing gameplay videos and reading reviews and analysis

IcaroRibeiro said:

I will never understand why people pre order games before seeing gameplay videos and reading reviews and analysis

Me neither. I never did that and never will, not even for games that I know will be good. I really see no point in preordering at all.

On topic: I agree with OP. It started as an exception but it evolved into being the norm for some (mostly western) publishers. The problem is that we gamers speak with our wallets already and we happily allow shit publishers to become shittier. We have failed. Myself, I tend to avoid the usual suspects and stick with mostly japanese publishers.

Last edited by GoOnKid - on 28 May 2023

Damn, this thread is giving me more Installbase vibes than ever on this site.

Especially the responses.

I do buy AAA games day one, it depends of which ones.

At the end of the day, the duality of gamers is expressed more and more, they want AAA games to be released very quickly in a 1-2 years with the highest possible quality and that’s not viable, the response from the last PS Showcase was something like this.

Even the high acclaimed Tears of the Kingdom took 6 years to get released.

Last edited by kazuyamishima - on 28 May 2023

Never buy day 1 games lol

Even if they are Nintendo games (Look at Pokemon Scarlet/Violet for an example).

More than likely games will go on sale either from the publisher or from a retailer (and there's a higher chance of those games getting a patch or so as well).

Around the Network
OdinHades said:

AAA is dead

Nah. Far from it.

That said, I don't buy games Day 1 most of the time. Nintendo games either. But then, it's rarely because of a worry about polish and more on price. It has to be something I know I'm going to enjoy regardless.

Examples: anything from Insomniac, Smash Bros. games, etc. 

CGI-Quality said:
OdinHades said:

AAA is dead

Nah. Far from it.

That said, I don't buy games Day 1 most of the time. Nintendo games either. But then, it's rarely because of a worry about polish and more on price. It has to be something I know I'm going to enjoy regardless.

Examples: anything from Insomniac, Smash Bros. games, etc. 

Yeah thats a wierd take. Next month releases include Diablo IV, FFXVI, SF VI and more. Two of which I'm getting day one.

The rest of the year is completely stacked with games on all platforms. Not sure how AAA gaming is dead lol. Maybe in a bubble.. perhaps.

Last edited by hinch - on 28 May 2023

Darashiva said:

I'm probably in something of a minority regarding this one, but I don't think there's ever a good reason to buy any game at launch, regardless of whether its a massive AAA release or a small indie title. It's always better to wait a while to let the developer iron out any bugs and issues. The only reason to buy something at launch I can come up with is if for some weird reason that's the only way to ensure you actually can get the game, so for limited run releases only.

The biggest reason would be multiplayer games since if someone has friends buying it at launch if they wait they might not get a chance to play it together if the friends get tired of it first. For single player games it's wanting to avoid spoilers and being able to take part in all the discussion and hype at launch but those are more manageable. 

I’ve recently stopped buying most games at full price at launch, mainly for money reasons. There’s a few games I will throughout the year, like this year was Hogwarts, Zelda and I’ll probably buy Baten Kaitos remaster, as well as Starfield if the reviews are good. I’ll also get AC Mirage, and I know Ubisoft games are known for the bugs, but I adore AC and it’s only priced at $50.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Darashiva said:

I'm probably in something of a minority regarding this one, but I don't think there's ever a good reason to buy any game at launch, regardless of whether its a massive AAA release or a small indie title. It's always better to wait a while to let the developer iron out any bugs and issues. The only reason to buy something at launch I can come up with is if for some weird reason that's the only way to ensure you actually can get the game, so for limited run releases only.

Try finding a physical copy of Torna out there lol.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!