By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This trend needs to end

Zelda TotK delayed a year to polish it up. Everyone else out there posts a long story of "We're sorry we got caught releasing a broken buggy pile of shit and you caught us lying to you!". The general AAA games industry is broken and thus my disdain for it. I'm not outspoken to be cool online or try to be a contrarian for the sake of it. Gaming and the industry are something I have a deep passion for and have had since the late 80s. Maybe too much but watching the industry swirl down the drain for the last 15 years has made me cynical. Now this is a new trend. Devs trying to get away with releasing broken trash and then putting out these fake apologies. Sure not every single AAA game is full of greed and BS like this but far too many do at this stage but mainly in 3rd party games but not exclusive to it.

Putting my personal taste in games aside. Maybe people really need to stop buying AAA games at launch. Wait for a sale and many updates or for those still buying physical. Get it used. People pretend to be outraged at first but then go back to believing every trailer and pre-ordering. This is DIGITAL SNAKE OIL. If you don't know what that term is.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil

Thoughts?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I agree, but the solution is simple: Don't buy AAA games. Focus on Indie games and Nintendo.

That's what I'm doing and I'm enjoying gaming quite a bit these days. Plus I saved myself 500 bucks because I don't need a PlayStation in this gen. Switch and Steam Deck are perfectly fine to play all the games that are actually worth my time.

AAA is dead, just deal with that and you can enjoy gaming.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

What games you talking about? Pokemon shield, Star wars survivor and bayonetta 3? Just looked at the list. I mean star wars is very playable at 30fps it sucks but what can you and the rest are pretty old/trash games that no one cares about. cyberpunk was fixed

Last edited by zeldaring - on 28 May 2023

OdinHades said:

I agree, but the solution is simple: Don't buy AAA games. Focus on Indie games and Nintendo.

That's what I'm doing and I'm enjoying gaming quite a bit these days. Plus I saved myself 500 bucks because I don't need a PlayStation in this gen. Switch and Steam Deck are perfectly fine to play all the games that are actually worth my time.

As if Nintendo titles are not AAA! I do love my Switch but I also love my PS5, they each provide different experiences for me. AAA is a long way from being dead, let's be real.

Korvo_Attano said:
OdinHades said:

As if Nintendo titles are not AAA! I do love my Switch but I also love my PS5, they each provide different experiences for me. AAA is a long way from being dead, let's be real.

yea people keeping AAA is a buggy mess but most AAA games are running great on PS5. 

Around the Network
Korvo_Attano said:
OdinHades said:

Oh, they are the only titles that are AAA if you ask me. Nintendo games are the last ones that focus on gameplay instead of grfxx or live service bullshit. But in the eyes of the public AAA is connected with top-notch-graphics, 4K resolution, Raytracing and all that BS that you don't need to enjoy a game. Also most if not all of those heavy hitters in the last few years have been a buggy mess at launch. Which is why AAA has become a negative award in my eyes. Which is why I wouldn't give that to Nintendo games. I'm playing TotK right now and I'm having a blast without any bugs whatsoever. Which is all the more impressive given how gigantic this game is not only when it comes to the map size, but also the sheer possibilities in gameplay and physics.

I don't know if you can follow me here. =D

I know that Sony still releases quite good big games every now and then. But I couldn't be bothered to get a PS5 just for those. When it comes to third party devs, AAA is absolutely dead for me personally. Of course you can disagree with that, it's all subjective in the end and according to my son there do even exist people who enjoy Fortnite. For whatever reason. Who am I to judge? I can only speak for myself and I just have given up that so-called AAA gaming.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I already said not every AAA game. Guardians of the Galaxy was great as a recent example. No BS DLC or MTX and as a licensed game. That's remarkable tbh. At the same time I feel a lot of smaller projects that are great deserve attention instead of Cyberpunk 2077 like The Ascent which is a better game even if aiming for something different. Soulstice is a really good DMC clone with a world that is very inspired by Berserk. (you know the very thing every Dark Souls game apes from)

8th generation I think we saw more of these AAA failures than ever. Evolve. Battleborne. Anthem. Avengers just to name a few and now it's becoming more and more frequent and lessons have not been learned on both sides.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm probably in something of a minority regarding this one, but I don't think there's ever a good reason to buy any game at launch, regardless of whether its a massive AAA release or a small indie title. It's always better to wait a while to let the developer iron out any bugs and issues. The only reason to buy something at launch I can come up with is if for some weird reason that's the only way to ensure you actually can get the game, so for limited run releases only.

OdinHades said:
Korvo_Attano said:

Oh, they are the only titles that are AAA if you ask me. Nintendo games are the last ones that focus on gameplay instead of grfxx or live service bullshit. But in the eyes of the public AAA is connected with top-notch-graphics, 4K resolution, Raytracing and all that BS that you don't need to enjoy a game. Also most if not all of those heavy hitters in the last few years have been a buggy mess at launch. Which is why AAA has become a negative award in my eyes. Which is why I wouldn't give that to Nintendo games. I'm playing TotK right now and I'm having a blast without any bugs whatsoever. Which is all the more impressive given how gigantic this game is not only when it comes to the map size, but also the sheer possibilities in gameplay and physics.

I don't know if you can follow me here. =D

I know that Sony still releases quite good big games every now and then. But I couldn't be bothered to get a PS5 just for those. When it comes to third party devs, AAA is absolutely dead for me personally. Of course you can disagree with that, it's all subjective in the end and according to my son there do even exist people who enjoy Fortnite. For whatever reason. Who am I to judge? I can only speak for myself and I just have given up that so-called AAA gaming.

I feel the exact  same way as you, except that i prefer Sony to Nintendo. I like  challenging games with  great combat and at 60fps. nintendo doesn't really do those type of games. you also don't like fromsoftware games? they all about gameplay it's just very challenging. The only game i wanna play on switch is zelda to see what all the hype about and i have always loved zelda.

Darashiva said:

I'm probably in something of a minority regarding this one, but I don't think there's ever a good reason to buy any game at launch, regardless of whether its a massive AAA release or a small indie title. It's always better to wait a while to let the developer iron out any bugs and issues. The only reason to buy something at launch I can come up with is if for some weird reason that's the only way to ensure you actually can get the game, so for limited run releases only.

I actually feel the same. so many games to play.