By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This trend needs to end

Leynos said:

Thoughts?

Well it's not like we gonna disagree and say "nay 70$ buggy messes are great for gaming"

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Never buy day 1 games lol

Even if they are Nintendo games (Look at Pokemon Scarlet/Violet for an example).

It's not really a Nintendo game.

Norion said:
Darashiva said:

I'm probably in something of a minority regarding this one, but I don't think there's ever a good reason to buy any game at launch, regardless of whether its a massive AAA release or a small indie title. It's always better to wait a while to let the developer iron out any bugs and issues. The only reason to buy something at launch I can come up with is if for some weird reason that's the only way to ensure you actually can get the game, so for limited run releases only.

The biggest reason would be multiplayer games since if someone has friends buying it at launch if they wait they might not get a chance to play it together if the friends get tired of it first. For single player games it's wanting to avoid spoilers and being able to take part in all the discussion and hype at launch but those are more manageable. 

Admittedly, I don't really play online multiplayer games so that's not much of a concern for me, but I can understand that for people who do. I haven't found it very difficult to avoid spoilers though, the only big thing I've been spoiled on over the last several years that I can recall is the big early moment in The Last of Us Part II, which a lot of very childish people having a temper tantrum made a point of spoiling for as many people as possible even before launch. 

Leynos said:

Try finding a physical copy of Torna out there lol.

Yeah, that's the one big reason I can understand for buying games at launch or preordering them. I generally prefer physical copies of games myself, so I do find it somewhat annoying if I can't find one.

SKMBlake said:

Then what is it?

Last edited by BasilZero - on 28 May 2023

I don't buy any game day 1 anymore, unless it's a must-have title that I need to play on release day.

I.E. Tears of the Kingdom, Diablo 4.

Usually get a superior gaming experience by waiting for a few patches.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I still buy games day one, even though I usually end up not playing them until months later. Mostly because I like the game to succeed and find the devs deserve my money. Which is less than a visit to Subway nowadays :/ But that's all PSVR2 games next to TotK. And PSVR2 games are mostly $30.

For AAA games it depends on the publisher's track record, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerilla games, PD, Turn 10, Nintendo, generally deliver the goods. Ubisoft, Bethesda, Blizzard, CDPR you already know it will have issues at launch.

I don't play online anymore, that takes a lot of problems away already!

Darashiva said:
Norion said:

The biggest reason would be multiplayer games since if someone has friends buying it at launch if they wait they might not get a chance to play it together if the friends get tired of it first. For single player games it's wanting to avoid spoilers and being able to take part in all the discussion and hype at launch but those are more manageable. 

Admittedly, I don't really play online multiplayer games so that's not much of a concern for me, but I can understand that for people who do. I haven't found it very difficult to avoid spoilers though, the only big thing I've been spoiled on over the last several years that I can recall is the big early moment in The Last of Us Part II, which a lot of very childish people having a temper tantrum made a point of spoiling for as many people as possible even before launch. 

I care quite a bit about spoilers but thankfully times like that where it's almost impossible to avoid unless you stop using the internet are rare. If I was very invested in the story and characters of something very popular I'd probably get it at launch but otherwise I'm fine with waiting.

BasilZero said:
SKMBlake said:

Then what is it?

A Game Freak game. Nintendo holds 33% of the Pokémon IP from a joint venture agreement which have - I suppose - a clause saying that main games being tied to Nintendo consoles.

When Pokémon Go released and become a huge success, Nintendo's market value went up, pushing them to publish a declaration saying they only have a minority stake in the Pokémon company.

And the main Game Freak dev for Pokémon games wasn't really a fan of the Switch at first and wanted to see if it would be a success before releasing games on it. Hence Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon late 2017 on the 3DS and then a remake of Pokémon Yellow late 2018 before jumping on the Switch wagon

I buy mostly JRPGs day 1 and they are completely fine.

I only buy day one and at full price very rarely for only very few games that I know I'll love. Like TotK.

Way to many AAA games launch full of technical issues, but there are plenty that don't. This apology trend is absurd and should've never been a thing.