By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

Gonna see it tomorrow and well after seeing some of the stuff said.
It'll prolly land in the "I got what I expected from it".
Like a decent kids flick that does not want you to actually truly get a deep experience on an emotional level aside from the fan service stuff + all the things Illumination brand is known for (kinda bland comedy), rather boring pop musical choices.

But hey, if the visual side of the movies is as good as said. I might get some good vistas out of it.

As for its early success. I won't jump the gun and Nintendo prolly won't as well. I'm expecting them to go quite slowly with the process of doing movies in actuality and I doubt their end goal would be to simply do a Smash movie.

Not only that, but keeping certain franchises to the Universal realm would waste some of their franchise potential. Zelda should be something reserved for a studio like Ghibli or a live-action studio that is willing to respect the franchise in due form.
Same for Metroid.

Anywoo, not everything from Nintendo needs to become a movie btw

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

Yep, this is another one of those things that's been impossible to debate with people. Like god forsake trying to enjoy a movie for being a movie, like duh of course you're not gonna enjoy it if you're not a Mario fan. It's not like there's anything more to movies than fan service.

It's looking like a box office smash whether you like it or not. Go watch some high end art nobody else has even seen instead of trying to bring down people who like this movie.

This is a funny thing to say to someone who is very open about his love for Guardians of the Galaxy.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit and yes, I'm a huge Mario fan. So I guess I cannot be trusted.

My son also liked the movie but he's a kid so I guess his opinion isn't good enough.

Even my wife enjoyed the movie, although she doesn't know too much about Mario or Nintendo. She didn't get most of the easter eggs, but still had a damn good time. But anyway, what is her opinion worth when she hasn't even played the games?

I don't know, if someone doesn't like the movie, that's fine and all. But constantly yelling about being "objective" or not is kinda stupid. Because there is no such thing as "objectivity" especially when it comes to movies, music or video games. It's always a matter of taste. For me the movie is about as close as it gets to a Mario game. It's a fun ride that doesn't need a huge storyline. I also really liked how Mario was presented. I don't want to spoiler anything, but he's basically the player and he behaves like that.

I also loved that the Mario movie embraced it's origins. It doesn't try to hide some ridiculous stuff just to fit better in a movie. What I mean is stuff like floating platforms, a turtle army or eating mushrooms for super powers. In most video game movies, stuff like that gets toned down quite a lot just to fit some narrative and in the end the result doesn't have much to do with the games. Just take a look at any scene from the Mario movie. Anything could easily be a cutscene from a Mario game. Hell, more than enough scenes could be gameplay. Now look at the Sonic movie. Not so much. Now I don't want to say that the Sonic movies are bad, I enjoyed those also quite a lot. But I really like the different, more true to the games approach that Mario has.

That said, the german voice from Peach is absolutely horrible. She sounds bored as fuck which destroyed a lot of enjoyment for me. Especially since Peach is one of my favourite characters! Bummer.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Seems par for the course for Illumination: crowd pleaser and box office success but critics are very middle of the road of it.

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Ok, but mostly nitpicking here.

When there's a crappy joke every two minutes, many badly out of place licensed songs, no character work and a nonsensical plot that makes its key macguffin inexplicably pointless, I'd say those can be some pretty major issues. The DK stuff is nitpicking, sure, but everything else is definitely in the realm of "the movie is worse because of this".

I guess there's no point in arguing, anyway. There is no valid criticism one can have of this movie, because the counter-argument is always "well I enjoyed it, so you're wrong". It's gone way past the point where you can look at it objectively.

I feel like you're just trying your best to not enjoy the movie. I had the time of my life watching it. The characters were great, the music was great, the jokes were hilarious and almost always landed, the plot worked just fine and there was no cringe.

I have the exact opposite opinion.

One of my favorite movies ever is Alita: Battle Angel which got 61% on Rotten Tomatoes. Since then I think that many critics are dumb af.

Around the Network

Since the production of this movie took a long time I would first hope for a sequel or any other kind of Nintendo movie within the next five years before talking about a cinematic universe. The only cinematic universe I would like there would be about the Mario universe, not pulling all Nintendo properties in. I'd rather all the others stay in their own continuity.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 09 April 2023

OdinHades said:

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit and yes, I'm a huge Mario fan. So I guess I cannot be trusted.

My son also liked the movie but he's a kid so I guess his opinion isn't good enough.

Even my wife enjoyed the movie, although she doesn't know too much about Mario or Nintendo. She didn't get most of the easter eggs, but still had a damn good time. But anyway, what is her opinion worth when she hasn't even played the games?

I don't know, if someone doesn't like the movie, that's fine and all. But constantly yelling about being "objective" or not is kinda stupid. Because there is no such thing as "objectivity" especially when it comes to movies, music or video games. It's always a matter of taste. For me the movie is about as close as it gets to a Mario game. It's a fun ride that doesn't need a huge storyline. I also really liked how Mario was presented. I don't want to spoiler anything, but he's basically the player and he behaves like that.

I also loved that the Mario movie embraced it's origins. It doesn't try to hide some ridiculous stuff just to fit better in a movie. What I mean is stuff like floating platforms, a turtle army or eating mushrooms for super powers. In most video game movies, stuff like that gets toned down quite a lot just to fit some narrative and in the end the result doesn't have much to do with the games. Just take a look at any scene from the Mario movie. Anything could easily be a cutscene from a Mario game. Hell, more than enough scenes could be gameplay. Now look at the Sonic movie. Not so much. Now I don't want to say that the Sonic movies are bad, I enjoyed those also quite a lot. But I really like the different, more true to the games approach that Mario has.

That said, the german voice from Peach is absolutely horrible. She sounds bored as fuck which destroyed a lot of enjoyment for me. Especially since Peach is one of my favourite characters! Bummer.

I agree for the most part. I didn't think Peach sounded boring though.

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Then you're woefully unreliable when it comes to a Mario movie.

Yep, this is another one of those things that's been impossible to debate with people. Like god forsake trying to enjoy a movie for being a movie, like duh of course you're not gonna enjoy it if you're not a Mario fan. It's not like there's anything more to movies than fan service.

Plenty of non-Mario fans and non-gamers say that they enjoyed the movie and loved it. There's no of course there. By far most people who saw it enjoyed it. You're the rare exception. It's like trying to find a unicorn. I watched the movie late in the evening to not have screaming children there and it was jampacked with adults and everyone laughed at the jokes constantly. People were talking about how hilarious it was while leaving.

The only part of the experience that will differ most between is gonna be the voice acting. I don't have a screenplay near where I am enough to see the movie in VO so I'll have to settle for our French Canadian dub which I can trust but listening to the trailer,.makes me think most of the voice actor were on auto-mode on this one.

Prolly, still better than listening to sub-tier Chris Pratt, which amongst the cast seems to be the biggest miscast (though it is what we knew already from the first trailer)

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Why do people get so weirdly defensive when someone says they didn't enjoy the movie? I haven't seen the film myself, but from everything I've seen and heard it seems like exactly the kind of disposable fan-service filled children's animation I expected it to be. Looks and sounds great, with story and character development a distant secondary concern, and it's perfectly fine for it to be that. If you like it that's fine, but the argument that the critics are wrong for not liking it as much as the audience did is just childish.