By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

There's a lot more wrong with the movie than just the pacing imo.

~bad jokes~
~bad licensed music~
~bad characters~
~bad plot~

Ok, but mostly nitpicking here.

When there's a crappy joke every two minutes, many badly out of place licensed songs, no character work and a nonsensical plot that makes its key macguffin inexplicably pointless, I'd say those can be some pretty major issues. The DK stuff is nitpicking, sure, but everything else is definitely in the realm of "the movie is worse because of this".

I guess there's no point in arguing, anyway. There is no valid criticism one can have of this movie, because the counter-argument is always "well I enjoyed it, so you're wrong". It's gone way past the point where you can look at it objectively.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

Is this a good news: yes.

Should his lead to more movies: hell yes.

Are critics irrelevant: hell yes.

Fixed.

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Ok, but mostly nitpicking here.

When there's a crappy joke every two minutes, many badly out of place licensed songs, no character work and a nonsensical plot that makes its key macguffin inexplicably pointless, I'd say those can be some pretty major issues. The DK stuff is nitpicking, sure, but everything else is definitely in the realm of "the movie is worse because of this".

I guess there's no point in arguing, anyway. There is no valid criticism one can have of this movie, because the counter-argument is always "well I enjoyed it, so you're wrong". It's gone way past the point where you can look at it objectively.

Well excuse me for not having outlandishly high standards. For the record, I DID look at it objectively. It's not perfect, but it's not just another kids movie like you immediately wrote it off as.

CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

Well excuse me for not having outlandishly high standards. For the record, I DID look at it objectively. It's not perfect, but it's not just another kids movie like you immediately wrote it off as.

Admittedly with it being so soon after Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, my standards are indeed pretty high.

And coming from that, a "children's" movie that treats its audience in a very mature way, this felt like being thrown right back into the world of "animation is for kids". Sorry, but it definitely is that. The initial joke with the penguins throwing snowballs at Bowser. The multiple slow-motion mamma mias. The whole movie was filled with these goofy moments I might've laughed at if I was 6, and had nothing in the way of deep themes or interesting characters. Every aspect of the story was extremely basic and bare-bones. And sure, I wasn't expecting incredible storytelling from the freaking Mario movie, but god they really put zero effort into it. And let's be fair here... I wasn't expecting incredible storytelling from Puss in Boots either, but I got it anyway.

Anyways. I was never a big fan of Mario, so I was never gonna care much for all the fan service they threw in there. The only thing that could get me out of that theater feeling good about the movie would be... well, actually being a good movie, outside of the winks and nods to the source material. But the storytelling was exactly as barren as it was in the games, so of course I wouldn't like it. That's the main reason why I never cared much for the games to begin with.

So my overall feeling right now is, this movie doesn't deserve to be raking in the cash like it is, but, I guess if that means the Nintendo franchises I actually like can get movies (hopefully with the good stories they deserve), then I'll take it.

Oh wow, insane . I've yet to watch it, but I'm not expecting some 2000s Pixar levels of emotional depth or a super intrincate plot.

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Admittedly with it being so soon after Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, my standards are indeed pretty high.

And coming from that, a "children's" movie that treats its audience in a very mature way, this felt like being thrown right back into the world of "animation is for kids". Sorry, but it definitely is that. The initial joke with the penguins throwing snowballs at Bowser. The multiple slow-motion mamma mias. The whole movie was filled with these goofy moments I might've laughed at if I was 6, and had nothing in the way of deep themes or interesting characters. Every aspect of the story was extremely basic and bare-bones. And sure, I wasn't expecting incredible storytelling from the freaking Mario movie, but god they really put zero effort into it. And let's be fair here... I wasn't expecting incredible storytelling from Puss in Boots either, but I got it anyway.

Anyways. I was never a big fan of Mario, so I was never gonna care much for all the fan service they threw in there.

Then you're woefully unreliable when it comes to a Mario movie.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

Anyways. I was never a big fan of Mario, so I was never gonna care much for all the fan service they threw in there.

Yep, this is another one of those things that's been impossible to debate with people. Like god forsake trying to enjoy a movie for being a movie, like duh of course you're not gonna enjoy it if you're not a Mario fan. It's not like there's anything more to movies than fan service.

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Yep, this is another one of those things that's been impossible to debate with people. Like god forsake trying to enjoy a movie for being a movie, like duh of course you're not gonna enjoy it if you're not a Mario fan. It's not like there's anything more to movies than fan service.

It's looking like a box office smash whether you like it or not. Go watch some high end art nobody else has even seen instead of trying to bring down people who like this movie.

CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

It's looking like a box office smash whether you like it or not. Go watch some high end art nobody else has even seen instead of trying to bring down people who like this movie.

Most of my favorite movies are blockbusters lmao.

And yeah this was always going to be a smash hit regardless of quality, I'm not surprised by that. If anything I'm just surprised the movie isn't a little better.

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

And yeah this was always going to be a smash hit regardless of quality, I'm not surprised by that. If anything I'm just surprised the movie isn't a little better.

Well you don't need to act like you're better than the average movie goer.

CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

Well you don't need to act like you're better than the average movie goer.

I never said I am. I'm just stating I didn't like this movie, and explaining why, with sensible and concrete arguments. Of which you haven't used any, by the way, despite this discussion going on for a while now.

Either way, I'm not trying to bring anyone down or whatever. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, I'm merely stating my own. But this is a wider problem with the gaming community, there's an obsession with validation. Every time a reviewer gives a game a score lower than what the fanbase wants, said reviewer gets death threats and whatnot, because now that there's a bad review you can't enjoy the game anymore?

I've enjoyed bad games, and bad movies. I've been bored by good games and good movies too. There's a difference between taste and quality, but at the end of the day, your opinion is yours and no one should be able to take that from you. I have mine and I don't think it makes me better than the average movie goer or whatever.