By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Movie Breaking Records; 5 Day Opening Weekend Set To Beat Frozen 2

That's good. I hope they have plans for a Zelda movie. Metroid and Luigi as series will work fine.

Around the Network

This seems guaranteed to do over a billion which considering the current highest grossing video game film is at 439m is a huge deal. There's definitely gonna be
a notable increase of video game films in the coming years now with the box office ceiling on them being shattered after not increasing much for the past couple decades though things still aren't there yet for them to reach the peak comic book films have. I wonder what impact this'll have on Switch sales, I doubt it'll impact hardware significantly but Mario games could get a significant boost.

Also I still wish this was a 2D animated film by an anime studio since it's a Japanese property but unfortunately there's way less money to be made that way on a global scale.

Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Smash Bros. These are probably the ones that makes the most sense for a movie. However, I doubt some of these would fit with Illumination's style. I would love to see a Zelda movie made by Ghibli or surprisingly a live action might work if it's Zelda or Metroid (I know). I hope Nintendo would explore different studios and options other than Illumination.

Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing would be a nice tv series, maybe an anime adaptation since there's already a manga about them.

Last edited by Shatts - on 08 April 2023

Soundwave said:

Universal will probably buy the rights to all Nintendo IP. Nintendo likes working with them and Chris Meledandri (sp?) is on the Nintendo board of directors.

A Zelda movie could use the art style that the new Puss in Boots film did which was done by Dreamworks, which is owned by (you guessed it) Universal Studios.

So that could work if they want to do an animated Zelda.

Most likely actually "Nintendo Pictures" is likely to become its own division at Universal that has its own story group which is overseen by Miyamoto and Meledandri seperate from even Illumination.

Because I don't think Illumination is going to be able to work on Mario + Donkey Kong + Zelda + Smash movies or however many Universal is going to want to make (which will be a lot) but also be able to work on Minions/Despicable Me/Sing!/Secret Life of Pets/etc.

Nintendo will need its own division.

Studio Ghibli and stuff isn't gonna happen. Nintendo is in the big boys club and they're going to want mass market product for the global market, Ghibli type animation doesn't have the same appeal globally (sadly). A Dreamworks Zelda movie like the last Puss in Boots? That could happen but even there I think Nintendo may choose to play it super safe and make a "standard CG" animation style. 

Especially if they decide to build on the more mature storytelling The Last Wish did. A Zelda movie won't work if it's all fun and whimsical adventure like the Mario movie, because that's not the tone of Zelda overall (except maybe Wind Waker, but that still got dark). Besides, no Illumination movie has ever had to bring in anything as horrifying as the ReDeads, Dead Hand, Ghirahim, Blizetta, or most of Majora's Mask.

mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Many of the best movies have also been financial failures though. Even some Disney classics like Pinocchio or Alice in Wonderland.

I was being sarcastic. There are lots of bad movies that became huge box office hits, and there have always been. Mario is not quite bad, but... it's not good either.

Do you know how hard it is to detect sarcasm through text?

mZuzek said:

I was being sarcastic. There are lots of bad movies that became huge box office hits, and there have always been. Mario is not quite bad, but... it's not good either.

It could have definitely used some 10 extra minutes. Except for the beginning, almost none of the scenes are allowed to breathe. This might have been done to optimally fit into children's attention spans and have them return to watch again...

That being said, looking forward to the Mario Cinematic Universe.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
mZuzek said:

It could have definitely used some 10 extra minutes. Except for the beginning, almost none of the scenes are allowed to breathe. This might have been done to optimally fit into children's attention spans and have them return to watch again...

That being said, looking forward to the Mario Cinematic Universe.

I was hoping to see more of Bob-Omb Battlefield, Tostarina, and that the underwater scenes were a little longer.

Agree with OP, this SHOULD mark a turning point for Nintendo. The Japanese Nintendo execs have always been so conservative with Nintendo properties but Nintendo has some of the best IP in the world. A Nintendo Cinematic Universe akin to Marvel just makes sense. They have a ton of IP focused around iconic characters just like Marvel's superhero IP, and they even already combine them in the Smash games.

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Kirby, etc could be huge tv/movie properties as long as they are done really well. I mean Zelda is just begging for a series of live action movies. Metroid live action would be awesome. Mario, DK, Star Fox obviously would be animation. And like Marvel has done, they introduce the other characters in ensemble movies with characters that already have their own popular movies, and then they are able to expand out by giving these new characters their own movies. Nintendo could do the same thing, starting with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, DK, Star Fox, then doing an animation Smash Bros movie where they introduce other characters who will later get their own movies or shows or whatever. I guess it'd be a little sloppier because some series seem better fitted for live action while some are better for animation, so it wouldn't quite have the synergy of Marvel ensemble movies which are not only character driven but very much actor/actress driven.

In terms of character driven IP Nintendo is probably the biggest untapped potential of any company in the world. They have some of the most iconic characters in the world and they've highly restricted them for the past 30 years. Hopefully making hundreds of millions of dollars from a single movie will make Nintendo realize they could create a new annual revenue stream of hundreds of millions of dollars in this way. A high fantasy live action Zelda movie targeting at 20/30s year olds but still enjoyable for kids would absolutely kill.

Definitely expect another Mario movie, a DK movie since he was in this one, and a live action Zelda movie in the next few years. After they've tested the market out with live action Zelda which should be a huge success, then get in a live action Metroid. Throw in Star Fox animation movie and then maybe the animation Smash Bros movie with Mario, DK, Zelda, Metroid, and Star Fox characters and introduce some new ones that could have their own movies in the future. This is the way.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 08 April 2023

haxxiy said:
mZuzek said:

There's a lot more wrong with the movie than just the pacing imo. The worst offender probably being the countless forced jokes we've seen in hundreds of children's movies before. The kind of humor that'll only get laughs from people under 10. Heck, there were kids at the theater I was in and even then there were moments of just absolute silence, when the movie's clearly waiting for people to laugh. Doesn't help that the movie opens with one of its unfunniest jokes.

Licensed music was an awful choice too, not in the least because they went for the most obvious songs imaginable, instead of choosing what fits the movie they just go the pop culture reference route. And instead only use actual Mario music here and there as little nods and winks.

Outside of that, yeah, it's just not enough character work in there. I suppose you shouldn't expect amazing character development from a Mario movie, just take it for what it is... but then the final act pretends like we've had these huge character arcs, they make a big deal of the scene when Mario sees the ad again (which absolutely does not land), and then suddenly Luigi acts like a hero after spending the whole movie locked in a cage. In the end they just win because they get the super star, which... uhh, why did Bowser want it anyway? He spends the whole movie making a big deal out of it yet doesn't use it once. I was actually surprised to see that it works the same as it does in the games, because if it's just limited-time invincibility, I don't see how that changes anything about Bowser or his army or anything. It's literally pointless.

In the end, people like it because it's got tons of fan service and it's generally accurate to the games. Well, with the exception of everything involving the Kongs, which felt really bizarre, is it just me? I thought both Cranky and Donkey were totally miscast, and the whole kingdom and army and all that was just weird. At least they made the place look like a DK area, but nothing else about them felt DK.

mZuzek said:
haxxiy said:

There's a lot more wrong with the movie than just the pacing imo. The worst offender probably being the countless forced jokes we've seen in hundreds of children's movies before. The kind of humor that'll only get laughs from people under 10. Heck, there were kids at the theater I was in and even then there were moments of just absolute silence, when the movie's clearly waiting for people to laugh. Doesn't help that the movie opens with one of its unfunniest jokes.

Licensed music was an awful choice too, not in the least because they went for the most obvious songs imaginable, instead of choosing what fits the movie they just go the pop culture reference route. And instead only use actual Mario music here and there as little nods and winks.

Outside of that, yeah, it's just not enough character work in there. I suppose you shouldn't expect amazing character development from a Mario movie, just take it for what it is... but then the final act pretends like we've had these huge character arcs, they make a big deal of the scene when Mario sees the ad again (which absolutely does not land), and then suddenly Luigi acts like a hero after spending the whole movie locked in a cage. In the end they just win because they get the super star, which... uhh, why did Bowser want it anyway? He spends the whole movie making a big deal out of it yet doesn't use it once. I was actually surprised to see that it works the same as it does in the games, because if it's just limited-time invincibility, I don't see how that changes anything about Bowser or his army or anything. It's literally pointless.

In the end, people like it because it's got tons of fan service and it's generally accurate to the games. Well, with the exception of everything involving the Kongs, which felt really bizarre, is it just me? I thought both Cranky and Donkey were totally miscast, and the whole kingdom and army and all that was just weird. At least they made the place look like a DK area, but nothing else about them felt DK.

Ok, but mostly nitpicking here.

Is this a good news: yes.

Should his lead to more movies: hell naw.

Are critics irrelevant: hell yes.