By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The growing third party issue with the Xbox Series S

I wonder why we discuss this, while still most games releasing are crossgen. How far are the gaps between pure current-gen releases? At this point the devs aren't even willing to abandon last gen. So let's revive this discussion, once last gen support has dried up, because Series S support will drop later than that.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

There is no issue with the Series S. The S has everything it needs to run Series X games. Balders Gate having issues, yet the Matrix Demo run on the Series S has some questions that need to be raised with the Developer or MS tool set given to Devs.

We heard this before when Dying Light Devs came out and said a Performance mode for Series S wasn't possible, then months later released a 60fps Performance mode for the Series S.

If anything, the Series S points out laziness with Devs and publishers. It's a great option and piece of Hardware to help those in financial need yet still want to play next gen games. PCs offer budget cards, why can't Consoles.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 13 March 2023

Norion said:
ConservagameR said:

It depends on what MS and it's customers demand and expect. MS being a PC company for much longer than a console company, who's been trying to bridge the gap for quite some time now, very well doesn't or won't care as much as the gen goes on if the Series S games are far inferior to the Series X. As long as the games play well enough and aren't terribly broken and glitched, if you want better graphics and smoother framerates, find a way to upgrade to the higher tier X model.

There's also the possibility that as time goes on, if Series S continues to sell better, especially if the gap widens in it's favor, MS very well may ask devs to shift some effort from Series X to Series S. You wouldn't want to take too much away from your top tier X model, but if you've clearly got a much larger audience playing on the lower tier S model, it wouldn't be crazy to see MS ask to take a bit of the polish time away from X version games and use that time to improve S version games a bit.

The XB console space can work a lot like the PC space as you've mentioned, as long as the consoles remain much simpler to operate vs PC's. Offering a few different console game modes like performance vs resolution is about as far as it needs to go. As long as the lowest tier present gen console experience is just good enough, casual console gamers will accept it as long as the price is right. Some of them are even accepting it on last gens XB One right now, so present gens Series S would probably seem like a worthy upgrade to some of those casual gamers.

I don't see it continuing to sell better as time goes on cause I think most console gamers won't want to play versions of games like GTA 6 and Witcher 4 that run poorly. With stock getting increasingly normalized now I see Series S making up a smaller and smaller share of Xbox Series sales as this gen goes on.

There's plenty of people playing GTA 5 on last gen consoles who haven't bothered to put in the effort to upgrade. Now if present gen sales take off soon with hardware availability, like they are for PS5, and GTA 5 sales for present gen also skyrocket, then I'd say you have a point, but I don't see that happening. Lots of people bought GTA 5 for PS3 and never upgraded to the PS4 version, including me. As long as GTA 5 keeps being supported on last gen, lot's of casuals will keep playing it there.

If the worldwide economy finally stabilizes and starts rising again, then I could see XB Series X sales closing the gap with Series S and possibly overcoming it, but if things continue as they are, or get worse, Series S will very likely continue to keep selling better. Whether pricing stays as is, or eventually drops a bit, that still makes the much lower cost of a Series S an appealing purchase from that perspective, especially for casuals.

MS isn't looking at the gaming market in terms of what's best for devs, they're looking at it as what's best for consumers pockets. They haven't forgotten about the devs, they just aren't catering to them anywhere near as much as Sony is. MS has tried to beat Sony at their game but has failed like others have, so they're veering off and trying something a bit different, like others have, but in their own way. Somebody is always winning and losing, it just depends on who and how much.

I'm not making a case that this is what's best for all consumers or the gaming industry as a whole, I'm just pointing out that Series S makes sense based on the business case MS has made for it so far. Whether that case will still make sense once the economy is back on track is another thing. Maybe MS has always planned to discontinue the S mid gen, make X the new low end model and add a new upgraded model as the top tier. If Sony does launch the PS5 Slim this holiday, how MS reacts within a year of that will tell us a lot.

smroadkill15 said:

The only thing that would be an actual cause of concern is if 3rd party games skip Xbox entirely because of the Series S. That has not been the case. If that doesn't happen and games keep coming to Xbox, the Series S was worth it for MS and owners. Games running below 1080P isn't a concern. Anyone who uses the Series S for what it is, doesn't care. They would have bought a Series X or PS5 if they did.

Devs have been having to deal with underpowered systems for decades, it literally their job to figure this stuff out. 

I mean when games skip Xbox, people will automatically assume it's purely down to Sony moneyhatting, so how will we be able to make a distinction? Silent Hill 2 Remake's PC minimum requirements are significantly higher than the Series S (disclaimer: this doesn't mean Series S absolutely "can't" run it). The Medium, which was also a current-gen exclusive (timed Xbox Series exclusive) from the same developer, had much lower system requirements. Mandating Xbox will make moneyhatting easier for Sony. As a matter of fact some developers who never intend to make a Series XS version of a hypothetical ambitious game (due to S limitations/challenges) will approach Sony for a deal, because it makes business sense, it's free money.

If Series S sales don't drastically pick up, MS better stop mandating it, it's for their own good. The majority of games would still come to it regardless because the Switch 2 will future proof it. A portable Series S SKU also has potential imo, but idk if MS is going that way.

Pemalite said:
Kyuu said:

I think the first generation Series S will be dropped (as a mandated SKU) in favor of a more powerful Series S+ (hopefully 75% more powerful, 12GB of RAM, bigger SSD). Unless Series S succeeds in appealing to a very large non-gamer or non-console-gamer demographic, I'd rather it not be mandated, because it would suck to see the more ambitious games in the early to mid 2030's being held back by Series S tech. It's bad enough that we're still stuck to Xbox One specs in the in early 2020's thanks to crossgen overstaying its welcome. I want the minimum spec to have as high a floor as economically possible. Series S can still get a ton of support without the need of being mandated, because the Switch 2 exists and it's going to be huge.

The reason Series S is the best selling Xbox is because the X isn't being produced in large enough volumes.

My primary concern with the S is that we're probably getting mid-gen upgrades in a few years. Mid-gen upgrades will allow developers to go crazier with games, that even Series X and PS5 will often struggle at sub 1080p/40 fps. There would be a limit to how much a developer can scale back on Series S before it gets ridiculous (challenging, unplayable, costly, time wasting, etc).

I understand and agree fully, but Consoles tend to be supported for the entire generation.

I always want the graphics bar to be raised more, I would have liked to have seen the Series X and Playstation 5 to offer more hardware, but the current climate didn't allow for it, hence the mid range hardware.

The Series S has been a success for Microsoft, so it is not going away.

Consoles get "full" (or close to full) 3rd party support throughout a generation when they're adequately powerful and popular, Series S is neither of these. Some developers will not want to be stuck for 10-13 years to a system that is both weak and unpopular. So far it looks like PS5's specs/price is perfect for the current economics, so it (and comparable consoles/PC's) should be the new standard. Mandating Series S would lead to plenty of ambitious PS5/PC games skipping Xbox. MS should take a PC like approach (system requirements) at this point and officially make Xbox a full blown hybrid between console and PC. It would piss off some early adopters, but the pros outweigh the cons... I think.

As far as I'm concerned Xbox's current relative success has nothing to do with the Series S. But again, by the end of 2023, a lot of opinions including some of my own will change. This year should be a lot more indicative than previous years as to where the market is heading.

Pemalite said:
EpicRandy said:

Also it does not loose 60% of the ram 10/16 is 62 % which is 38% lower not 60%

Check your math on that. I am talking physical Ram not usable Ram.

Think my math is correct on this. Series S is 10GB and X 16GB 10/16 = 0.625 meaning a loss of 37.5%. 16GB*0.375 = 6GB (the diff between X and S)

Pemalite said:
EpicRandy said:

Also it does not loose 60% of the ram 10/16 is 62 % which is 38% lower not 60%

Check your math on that. I am talking physical Ram not usable Ram.

EpicRandy said:

Memory bandwith need to be huge because at this point all assets are uncompressed. On memory bandwith a 4k texture will literally and exactly required 4x the bandwith of a 1080p one and texture are literaly what is bandwith hungry when rendering a game. So normaly the series S could get away with about 25% bandwith compare to the X but it have 40% meaning it has headroom when targeting 1/4 of the res. The lower bandwith ram part should be mostly used by the os reserved memory so no impact on game. You also find all other specs to have similar headroom to what they would required in this scenario. Dev can get away with minimum effort here by targeting 1/4 the res and having assets accordingly but great port to the S will try to tap into this headroom to target slightly higher res like 1200p when 4k on the series X.

So again the series S will be just fine for the entire gen.

The Xbox 360 had games that used 4k textures. I.E. 4096x4096 textures. Some games even higher resolution textures than that.
Xbox 360 has 0.5GB of Ram verses the Series S at 10GB. (8GB for games).

I think people get confused with texture resolution and output resolution of a rendered scene. They are actually independent.

And no, a 4k texture will not always require 4x the bandwidth of a 1080P one, delta colour compression will compress certain maps better than others based upon the frequency of predictable patterning in the map itself and can save a considerable amount of bandwidth.

True but for simplicity sake I was referring to the target output of the title, texture can be any resolution but if you target a 4k output for a specific title and use a 4096x4096 texture for a specific meshes and you want to output @1080P on series S you will more than likely target 2048*2048 (a 4 time reduction) texture as it should bring you the same amount of intended detail. Unless you want to use the same texture or something in between in a bid to bake in some Super Sampling effect which is entirely up to the dev to decide.

And while 4096*4096 should do compress better than a scaled down 2048*2048 it's variable base on the actual texture and the gain in compression ratio become more and more marginal as the size grows not to mention the fact you are pretty much bound to use less effective lossless compression algorithm not to introduce compression artefact. 

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 13 March 2023

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
EpicRandy said:

Meshes deformation are all handled by the CPU, all games logics are, a feature rich title will make extensive use of the CPU and will likely be CPU bottlenecked. that's why it was important For the series S to have the same capacity CPU wise. Mesh are simply not that demanding on memory and memory bandwidth. for instance a single uncompressed full 4k texture channel is literally 48MB in memory, for the same size you can have meshes with 16M+ vertices and up to the same amount of tris (max is same amount -1). On Series S your likely to also work with mesh with less LoD so should even be easier on the CPU.

Not always done on the CPU.
And considering with RDNA you aren't geometry limited like Graphics Core Next, it's not going to be the bottleneck it once was.

In Unity for example, you can make use of the Tessellator on a modern GPU to deform the mesh rather than require a high vertex count at all times.
See here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-SurfaceShaderTessellation.html

But it all comes down to the developer, the more you shift the load onto the GPU, the better.

Yes like TressFx or other similar feature, those are not what you would use for something dynamics and persistent and I'm not concerned at all for the series S on those aspect as they usually are all very scalable. For something dynamics you would not use those because meshes deformed by the GPU are not available for the CPU to perform logics on like collision and to be persisted.

At the end of the day CPU is the barrier for game functionality (which is why the Series S is scaled down in pretty much every aspect except this one) and the GPU is responsible for graphic fidelity. GPU is also the one being hungry in bandwidth and Memory size so scale it down and you can scale both the other accordingly. That's why on pc your graphics cards have their own dedicated faster memory pool.

Kyuu said:
smroadkill15 said:

The only thing that would be an actual cause of concern is if 3rd party games skip Xbox entirely because of the Series S. That has not been the case. If that doesn't happen and games keep coming to Xbox, the Series S was worth it for MS and owners. Games running below 1080P isn't a concern. Anyone who uses the Series S for what it is, doesn't care. They would have bought a Series X or PS5 if they did.

Devs have been having to deal with underpowered systems for decades, it literally their job to figure this stuff out. 

I mean when games skip Xbox, people will automatically assume it's purely down to Sony moneyhatting, so how will we be able to make a distinction? Silent Hill 2 Remake's PC minimum requirements are significantly higher than the Series S (disclaimer: this doesn't mean Series S absolutely "can't" run it). The Medium, which was also a current-gen exclusive (timed Xbox Series exclusive) from the same developer, had much lower system requirements. Mandating Xbox will make moneyhatting easier for Sony. As a matter of fact some developers who never intend to make a Series XS version of a hypothetical ambitious game (due to S limitations/challenges) will approach Sony for a deal, because it makes business sense, it's free money.

If Series S sales don't drastically pick up, MS better stop mandating it, it's for their own good. The majority of games would still come to it regardless because the Switch 2 will future proof it. A portable Series S SKU also has potential imo, but idk if MS is going that way.

Pemalite said:

I understand and agree fully, but Consoles tend to be supported for the entire generation.

I always want the graphics bar to be raised more, I would have liked to have seen the Series X and Playstation 5 to offer more hardware, but the current climate didn't allow for it, hence the mid range hardware.

Consoles get "full" (or close to full) 3rd party support throughout a generation when they're adequately powerful and popular, Series S is neither of these. Some developers will not want to be stuck for 10-13 years to a system that is both weak and unpopular. So far it looks like PS5's specs/price is perfect for the current economics, so it (and comparable consoles/PC's) should be the new standard. Mandating Series S would lead to plenty of ambitious PS5/PC games skipping Xbox. MS should take a PC like approach (system requirements) at this point and officially make Xbox a full blown hybrid between console and PC. It would piss off some early adopters, but the pros outweigh the cons... I think.

As far as I'm concerned Xbox's current relative success has nothing to do with the Series S. But again, by the end of 2023, a lot of opinions including some of my own will change. This year should be a lot more indicative than previous years as to where the market is heading.

PC system requirements don't mean much for console optimization. I believe Silent Hill is a timed exclusive for a year so it will come to Xbox eventually. That's a lot of assumptions without really anything to back them up. A 3rd party dev who wants to release a game on multiple platforms will likely reach out for support from MS if it gets to that point, especially if it's a big publisher or independent studio, before dropping it entirely. 

Why would they be stuck to the Series X|S hardware for 10-13 years? They will certainly drop support by then and move on to the next Xbox. 
You don't think the Series S has anything to do with sales up to this point? While Sony and MS were having issues making enough PS5 and Series X consoles, MS was able to make more Series S's and push sales for Xbox for the last 2 years. Now Xbox needs to put more focus making Series X consoles, but it worked out great or them early on. 

The Series S isn't going to be dropped until the gen is over. I'm not sure why this is even a talking point. There is a difference between what you think should happen and the reality of the situation. 

Azzanation said:

There is no issue with the Series S. The S has everything it needs to run Series X games. Balders Gate having issues, yet the Matrix Demo run on the Series S has some questions that need to be raised with the Developer or MS tool set given to Devs.

We heard this before when Dying Light Devs came out and said a Performance mode for Series S wasn't possible, then months later released a 60fps Performance mode for the Series S.

If anything, the Series S points out laziness with Devs and publishers. It's a great option and piece of Hardware to help those in financial need yet still want to play next gen games. PCs offer budget cards, why can't Consoles.

Pretty much yes, personally I would like the series to be even cheaper though. Maybe that was the plan but chip shortage kind of got in the way.

I view the Series S as an important tool for MS to unlock many market by virtue of being cheap. And by the end of the gen I even think it's possible with a Series S slim or something like it to see the return of a 99$ consoles option like the GameCube or Wii mini. 

smroadkill15 said:
Kyuu said:

Pemalite said:

PC system requirements don't mean much for console optimization. I believe Silent Hill is a timed exclusive for a year so it will come to Xbox eventually. That's a lot of assumptions without really anything to back them up. A 3rd party dev who wants to release a game on multiple platforms will likely reach out for support from MS if it gets to that point, especially if it's a big publisher or independent studio, before dropping it entirely. 

Why would they be stuck to the Series X|S hardware for 10-13 years? They will certainly drop support by then and move on to the next Xbox. 
You don't think the Series S has anything to do with sales up to this point? While Sony and MS were having issues making enough PS5 and Series X consoles, MS was able to make more Series S's and push sales for Xbox for the last 2 years. Now Xbox needs to put more focus making Series X consoles, but it worked out great or them early on. 

The Series S isn't going to be dropped until the gen is over. I'm not sure why this is even a talking point. There is a difference between what you think should happen and the reality of the situation. 

The last years of the 10-13 year period mainly apply to some A/AA games and sports games which traditionally support previous gen systems for several years. This generation is expected to last too long... and if the current super slow transition is anything to go by, the next crossgen period may persist even longer due to diminishing returns and rising costs. If Series S is mandated, a lot of games will either skip Xbox Series or be extremely held back. The gap between Series S and X/PS5 is massive as is (they're effectively 3 to 5 times more powerful per real world results).

Maybe I missed something but timed exclusivity is a contract. When the contract ends, the game isn't guaranteed to hit Xbox, but the publisher regains the right to do whatever they want. It doesn't necessarily confirm that it's coming to Xbox (although it likely will).

Consoles and PC are quite similar now. PC requirements give us a decent idea how demanding a game can be on consoles. Though I'm not sure these requirements are exactly final (if they are, expect the lowest native resolutions/fps on PS5 yet). Just don't be surprised if it skips Xbox, or if the Series S version ends up in a near-unplayable state. The Medium (from the same developer that's working on Silent Hill 2 Remake) with its relatively modest minimum requirements struggled on the Series S (Resolution goes as low as 648p at 30fps). It's fair to set an expectation from this and the trailer we've seen that SH2R will be at least notably more demanding on both console and PC (assuming said minimum requirements are final and fairly accurate, which they may not be).

We're not feeling Series S's limitations yet coz the vast majority of relevant games are still crossgen, and the few that aren't also don't have nearly as high of minimum PC requirements as SH2R. The workload will decide what's viable on Series S and what isn't. It's just common sense.

SKMBlake said:
EpicRandy said:

The series X and PS5 can't even target 1440p with lock 60 wit dips in the 40s so its kind of ridiculous to expect 1440p 30 from series S. Best I see is 1080p 30 but they decided with 900p 60.

They also decided 900p@30 for fidelity mode.

Anyway, I think we both said what we had to say on the matter, let's agree to disagree

My point was it's very odd to consider Series X and PS5 as running well here at max 1440p with framerate issues. Even more odd when you would only consider 1440P 30 fps as the threshold for the S to be also running well. I mean if series S achieved such target I wouldn't expect anything less than 4k@30 maybe even 4k@60 for both PS5 and X.