By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The growing third party issue with the Xbox Series S

I can see the point that having to also port games to last gen will take away time that could have been spent optimizing for series s, but I also do wonder if that extra time gained will be negated by games becoming too complex to easily run on xsx or PS5 anyway. I can't be alone in thinking that these days of games regularly having almost native 4k won't last forever. Someone at some point is going to start pushing graphical fidelity at the cost of resolution/fps.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
EpicRandy said:

Quite rhe contrary most game just prove this theory. Sub 1080 games are also sub 4k on ps5 and series 5.

Yes, and 1440p is perfectly fine from a regular sitting distance. 30 fps is also perfectly fine for many genres.

So you could make a fully dynamic open world with deformable terrain like From Dust (but not restricted to a tiny world), using all available RAM and resources running 1440p30 on PS5 and Series X. But how would that run on Series S. RAM and memory bandwidth are not only for 4K textures and higher fps. Sure, if used only for rendering at higher resolutions, then it's no problem. To make more interactive games you need more fast memory. Split-screen requires more RAM and high memory bandwidth to basically run two instances of the game.

RAM restricts what you can do when it comes to dynamic worlds and building games. RAM also restricts what you can do in terms of optimizations. Memory is the biggest resource for development. 4K textures is just a small part of it.

Anyway 16GB is already cramped, I wouldn't want anything less than 32GB on my gaming laptop. It's cpu and gpu are far weaker than Series X, yet thanks to 32GB RAM (+another 6GB video ram) I can crank up FS2020 to draw distances the Series X can never compete with, while draw distance on Series S in FS2020 is pretty awful. For a flight sim draw distance is immersion. It's incredible they got it working yet would have been better with more RAM.

Series S has benefited from the much longer cross generation period than usual, yet now it's turning into a boat anchor for new game innovation, or will get left behind with new game innovations.

Meshes deformation are all handled by the CPU, all games logics are, a feature rich title will make extensive use of the CPU and will likely be CPU bottlenecked. that's why it was important For the series S to have the same capacity CPU wise. Mesh are simply not that demanding on memory and memory bandwidth. for instance a single uncompressed full 4k texture channel is literally 48MB in memory, for the same size you can have meshes with 16M+ vertices and up to the same amount of tris (max is same amount -1). On Series S your likely to also work with mesh with less LoD so should even be easier on the CPU.

SKMBlake said:

I can name 1st party or indie games that run good on the Series S, I can even name games that have Ray Tracing on the Series S. But that wouldn't be my point.

Well, actually, no you cannot just ignore games that work just fine.  You are permitted to point out games with issues, but if the statistic is that this is the exception and not the norm (which is the case here), then you don't really have much a leg to stand on.  Seems more like you have an axe to grind, especially when your examples are also games with shoddy performance on all platforms.

WRT to that so-called-gate, if MS doesn't make the clear and easy "coop parity is important, not local-coop parity" then they deserve the PR hit. 

However, if people are being honest with themselves - they don't take only the negative examples into account (which are not increasing in numbner, actually, which is what we were told would oh so totally happen) , they take a look at all of the games, seeing if the negative examples are also negatives on the X/5/PC, and have an overall view of things over time.

But thats not what people tend to do with the Series S, and its certainly not what this thread is actually about.

lansingone said:

I can see the point that having to also port games to last gen will take away time that could have been spent optimizing for series s, but I also do wonder if that extra time gained will be negated by games becoming too complex to easily run on xsx or PS5 anyway. I can't be alone in thinking that these days of games regularly having almost native 4k won't last forever. Someone at some point is going to start pushing graphical fidelity at the cost of resolution/fps.

And yet many wont down-talk the Series X or 5 for the times those two boxes aint doin 4k60 or have other issues that maybe get fixed with patches.

kirby007 said:

I fail seeing the point of this thread, seeing as we are getting last gen versions of games untill atleast 2024.

I see the point of this thread.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:

Meshes deformation are all handled by the CPU, all games logics are, a feature rich title will make extensive use of the CPU and will likely be CPU bottlenecked. that's why it was important For the series S to have the same capacity CPU wise. Mesh are simply not that demanding on memory and memory bandwidth. for instance a single uncompressed full 4k texture channel is literally 48MB in memory, for the same size you can have meshes with 16M+ vertices and up to the same amount of tris (max is same amount -1). On Series S your likely to also work with mesh with less LoD so should even be easier on the CPU.

Yet FS2020 is memory bottlenecked, followed by cpu and gpu. You can use CPU to augment ram by calculating, generating stuff just in time, or you can use RAM to augment CPU by using pre-calculated tables kept in memory, or simply keep more in memory, load/prepare stuff ahead etc.

For example FS2020 first kept everything around you in RAM, used over 20GB of system ram with maximum draw distance. Turning the camera around was smooth, worked great. Then the XBox update came, memory use was massively reduced. How? By aggressively culling everything that's not in the current view. Result, massive stuttering when turning the camera around since all that geometry and detail had to be loaded again. At the time I made a work around by using the game's cache on a ram disk, basically keeping it in memory in a roundabout way.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/rollingcache-revisited-essential-with-aggressive-culling-or-set-terrain-pre-caching-to-ultra/433841
You can see the difference already. It didn't really solve it as you still see it build up even fetching it from RAM disk to RAM. Luckily Asobo later gave the option to turn off the aggressive culling and on PC you can swing the camera around again without stuttering and pop up everywhere.

Pemalite said:
Norion said:

We're already seeing games not have an option for 4k 60fps and the cross-gen period isn't even over yet so a game as huge and demanding as GTA 6 is gonna be will only run at 60fps on the PS5 and Series X at a resolution much lower than 4k. Because of that I highly doubt it'll run on the Series S at 1080p 60fps. Due to how anaemic it's gonna be a few years from now late gen there are gonna be cases of games that ran as badly on the Series S as games like Control and Cyberpunk did on the last gen consoles or at least close to that if Microsoft never stops mandating support for it.

As a Series S, X, PS5, PC and Switch owner... I would have absolutely zero objection if GTA5 targets say... 900P and 30fps on the Series S.

My expectation for the Series S is that it will be a console where games are compromised compared to it's bigger brothers. - Just dropping down to 30fps doubles your render time window.
For simpler titles like Ori or Rayman, I do expect true 4k or better on the Series S.

I would also like to see Backwards compat games run in their "One X" mode on Series S. (Except Xbox One titles of course due to the Ram difference.)

People getting a cheap option to play stuff like GTA 6 is nice even if it runs poorly but I am concerned about it being a headache for a lot of developers a few years from now. It's kinda like if developers were forced to have their games run properly on a 2060 till like 2031 if they were making a PC version. 

Norion said:
Pemalite said:

As a Series S, X, PS5, PC and Switch owner... I would have absolutely zero objection if GTA5 targets say... 900P and 30fps on the Series S.

My expectation for the Series S is that it will be a console where games are compromised compared to it's bigger brothers. - Just dropping down to 30fps doubles your render time window.
For simpler titles like Ori or Rayman, I do expect true 4k or better on the Series S.

I would also like to see Backwards compat games run in their "One X" mode on Series S. (Except Xbox One titles of course due to the Ram difference.)

People getting a cheap option to play stuff like GTA 6 is nice even if it runs poorly but I am concerned about it being a headache for a lot of developers a few years from now. It's kinda like if developers were forced to have their games run properly on a 2060 till like 2031 if they were making a PC version. 

It depends on what MS and it's customers demand and expect. MS being a PC company for much longer than a console company, who's been trying to bridge the gap for quite some time now, very well doesn't or won't care as much as the gen goes on if the Series S games are far inferior to the Series X. As long as the games play well enough and aren't terribly broken and glitched, if you want better graphics and smoother framerates, find a way to upgrade to the higher tier X model.

There's also the possibility that as time goes on, if Series S continues to sell better, especially if the gap widens in it's favor, MS very well may ask devs to shift some effort from Series X to Series S. You wouldn't want to take too much away from your top tier X model, but if you've clearly got a much larger audience playing on the lower tier S model, it wouldn't be crazy to see MS ask to take a bit of the polish time away from X version games and use that time to improve S version games a bit.

The XB console space can work a lot like the PC space as you've mentioned, as long as the consoles remain much simpler to operate vs PC's. Offering a few different console game modes like performance vs resolution is about as far as it needs to go. As long as the lowest tier present gen console experience is just good enough, casual console gamers will accept it as long as the price is right. Some of them are even accepting it on last gens XB One right now, so present gens Series S would probably seem like a worthy upgrade to some of those casual gamers.

Radek said:

I disagree with Hogwarts Legacy being badly optimized on consoles. It's 1440p 60 fps on PS5 and it holds 60 fps majority of the time.

Meanwhile XSS version is only 792p in 60 fps, which is definitely a last gen resolution, it even has loading screen when leaving Hogwarts interior due to low amount of RAM (10GB vs 16GB)

GTA VI however will be a true test of things to come.

1440p at 60 fps with frame drops is not good at all, we've seen cross-gen games hitting 1800p-2160p at locked 60 fps on Series X and PS5. On top of that, the performance mode has dialed back graphical settings such as shorter level of detail distance, and for some reason the balanced mode between fidelity and performance mode requires HDMI 2.1 even though it never achieves framerates that would require HDMI 2.1 (HDMI 2.1 is only needed for 2160p at framerates higher than 60 fps, the balanced mode runs at like 1600p 40-50 fps as I recall, so there is no reason why it shouldn't run over HDMI 2.0). It's also not as well optimized on Series X as it is on PS5, likely due to the Sony marketing deal and 1 year exclusive content deal causing the devs to give PS5 more attention. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 12 March 2023

Pemalite said:
Kyuu said:

Series S is 25%-35% the real world "power" of the much more popular counterpart and the inevitable industry standard, the PS5. Digital Foundry is already calling for Microsoft to stop mandating it, which is what I predicted before the generation started and got accused of "console warring" for it. Some of the same people who defended and glorified this thing will thank Microsoft for ditching it as a requirement down the road. Mandating it would only lead to more "moneyhatted" PS5 exclusives. The "power doesn't matter" crowd are in for a rude awakening. Microsoft isn't Nintendo and Xbox isn't a hybrid.

On the flip side, Switch 2's existence may future proof Series S to some extent, since its GPU power is rumoured to be around that level. In other words, some developers won't think "Series S is holding us back for a small return" but rather think "Series S and Switch 2 have too large of a combined active install base to ignore." In that sense, Series S and Switch 2 might assist each other.

Regardless, if Series S remains mandated all gen, expect more games to skip Xbox altogether in a similar fashion to PS4 games skipping Switch 1. Also expect a lot of horribly optimized games that just exist to meet Microsoft's on paper requirements. A Cyberpunk 2077 galore.

The Series S likely sits just below the Radeon RX 6500XT in terms of capability.
It has more single precision FP, Texture fillrate and bandwidth than the 6400, but less pixel fillrate.

It's basically lowest-tier discreet GPU capability. Still better than the One X.

I do think the Series S needs to stick around for the entire generation, developers just need to make deeper cuts to their game to shoehorn them on the console, it is possible, just takes some extra development time.
I would also like to see the Series S get a revision to increase the internal SSD size and potentially add a Bluray drive or release an external Bluray drive.

The Series S is Microsoft's best selling console this generation, it's also the cheapest next-gen console, so they do need to keep that around and capitalise on it, especially as many people start to tighten belts due to economic uncertainty.

I think the first generation Series S will be dropped (as a mandated SKU) in favor of a more powerful Series S+ (hopefully 75% more powerful, 12GB of RAM, bigger SSD). Unless Series S succeeds in appealing to a very large non-gamer or non-console-gamer demographic, I'd rather it not be mandated, because it would suck to see the more ambitious games in the early to mid 2030's being held back by Series S tech. It's bad enough that we're still stuck to Xbox One specs in the in early 2020's thanks to crossgen overstaying its welcome. I want the minimum spec to have as high a floor as economically possible. Series S can still get a ton of support without the need of being mandated, because the Switch 2 exists and it's going to be huge.

The reason Series S is the best selling Xbox is because the X isn't being produced in large enough volumes.

My primary concern with the S is that we're probably getting mid-gen upgrades in a few years. Mid-gen upgrades will allow developers to go crazier with games, that even Series X and PS5 will often struggle at sub 1080p/40 fps. There would be a limit to how much a developer can scale back on Series S before it gets ridiculous (challenging, unplayable, costly, time wasting, etc).