By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Report: WB's TT Games cancels or backburners multiple projects to focus more resources on a new LEGO Harry Potter game

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/03/report-lego-disney-and-guardians-of-the-galaxy-projects-among-multiple-cancellations-at-tt-games

The cancelled projects are: 

• Project Marley- A cross IP Disney Lego game featuring characters from IP's such as Nightmare Before Christmas, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Frozen
  • Project Cosmic- A Lego Guardians of the Galaxy game which would feature the Guardians as well as Adam Warlock and Nova
  • Project Rainbow Road- A non-Lego shooter, which was originally planned to be Funko branded before WB lost the Funko license to another studio, the game would have been a cross-IP shooter similar to WB's Multiversus Smash clone, with characters pulled from multiple WB IP's as well as Netflix's Stranger Things
  • A mobile port of Lego Worlds

Additionally, two other projects have been placed on the backburner:

• A The Mandalorian themed story DLC for LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga
  • A new LEGO Batman game

Reportedly the above projects were cancelled or backburnered to devote more development resources to a new Lego Harry Potter/Wizarding World game, designed similarly to last year's Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga, presumably with content from all 8 Harry Potter films, and possibly the 3 Fantastic Beasts movies as well, and maybe even content from Hogwarts Legacy (the latter two would be more likely to come as DLC than in the base game most likely).

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 11 March 2023

Around the Network

TBH every one of those projects sounds bad. Including a new Lego Harry Potter game. The Lego Harry Potter games are great. But they've done everything already. Fantastic Beasts isn't good, I wouldn't be interested in a Lego game based on them.

I miss the days when they were coming out with Lego games for different franchises rather than rehashing the ones they've already done. That said, I can't really think of any franchises that would fit off the top of my head. Recent years have been pretty terrible for movies. Perhaps Lego James Bond? But even then I'd prefer it were based on the older movies rather than the new ones.

Ka-pi96 said:

I miss the days when they were coming out with Lego games for different franchises rather than rehashing the ones they've already done. That said, I can't really think of any franchises that would fit off the top of my head. Recent years have been pretty terrible for movies. Perhaps Lego James Bond? But even then I'd prefer it were based on the older movies rather than the new ones.

Not a fan of Lego games myself, but Lego Mario and Lego Zelda would work. Real-world Mario Legos exist.  It's probably something they could get Nintendo to go along with.

Welp, they saw how popular the Hogwarts game ended up getting and they did the thing most corporation would do at this point :

Put all your eggs in the same basket.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

This makes a lot of sense. Warner is in need of cash, they will milk the success of Hogwarts Legacy for all its worth. This is just the beginning of many, many more Harry Potter games. At the same time, Disney is not at their best right now, their IPs do not pack the same punch they used to, especially Marvel.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

That's a lot of cancelled projects for just one game, unless most of them weren't all that far advanced?

A Lego HP game like Slywarlker Saga would be great, I loved Lego SW

But yeay, classic case of corporate wanting to milk a franchise

SW felt like the perfect IP to make as vast as the Skywalker Saga while retelling 9 movies (7 of which they had already adapted). It's a wide galaxy full of adventure, action, and humor.
The Lego Harry Potter games were a lot more sophisticated than the initial Lego SW games. You could update some aspects and redo the levels, but why? I suppose the appeal is having all of the years in one massive, continuous game. I don't really like the idea of the Fantastic Beasts movies being adapted to Lego levels and hubs. It doesn't seem very interesting.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Lego Ghostbusters

Lego Indiana Jones (new one including the 5th movie)

Lego Men in Black

Lego Shrek

Lego How to Train Your Dragon

Lego Kung Fu Panda

Lego Fast and the Furious

Lego Back to the Future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

My wife would love it